Binding...

Mike Duncan

DGT Player
Have any of the new DGTs with binding on the neck made it out into the wild? I can't seem to find a live example.

As a side note, I want a DGT with neck binding. A lot.

dgt_2017_hero_large.jpg

I ordered a DGT Artist Package with a RW neck 6 months ago right before they announced the 2017 specs. Don't have it yet but hope it will be soon. Don't know whether it will have the binding or not but I suspect it will. I'll post my NGD when I get it.

I understand that everyone is different, but I prefer a PRS with no binding.
I like both options - some guitars seem to look good with the binding, other seem to look better without, but I honestly have never refused to buy a guitar because of or lack of binding.

I like both options - some guitars seem to look good with the binding, other seem to look better without, but I honestly have never refused to buy a guitar because of or lack of binding.

I'm in this boat too. I don't want it on a Santana, or a Cu24, but it looks great on the 594. Just to be clear, I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed!

I agree on the both options. I have a couple no binding DGTs and I would love to have one with. I'm still on the fence about the non-scuffed pickup covers. Of course, that's an easy fix.

I love binding and all my guitars except my 2 DGTs have them. At this point, binding is pretty much required for me to even consider a guitar. My 7 stringer has DGT electronics with binding, that almost counts :D.

I was in the no binding camp until I got my Siggy Limited - love the feel of that ones bound neck in my hands. Hoping my soon to be incoming bound neck feels just as good if not better.

I ordered a DGT Artist Package with a RW neck 6 months ago right before they announced the 2017 specs. Don't have it yet but hope it will be soon. Don't know whether it will have the binding or not but I suspect it will. I'll post my NGD when I get it.
Well, how's this for timing. I got a call from my dealer this morning. My new DGT has arrived. I drove down to Lexington to pick it up during lunch. It does have the binding. I'll try to get some photos tonight and post my NGD.

On the "21 Rules of Tone" thing, I always imagined that a glued-on plastic strip would have to rob your beautiful wood body/neck of some of their resonance. Even if the binding is wood, it would do the same.... yes or no??

On the "21 Rules of Tone" thing, I always imagined that a glued-on plastic strip would have to rob your beautiful wood body/neck of some of their resonance. Even if the binding is wood, it would do the same.... yes or no??

For me, Neck Binding has the Placebo Effect. Everything with binding sounds better! :)

For me, plastic binding on a PRS just does not cut it. Has to be some kind of wood. Plastic is not classy enough imo.

A DGT with maple binding would be mmmmmmmmhhhhh...... tasty!

I always imagined that a glued-on plastic strip would have to rob your beautiful wood body/neck of some of their resonance. Even if the binding is wood, it would do the same.... yes or no??

Antonio Stradivari answered no in 1679.

CF Martin, Ted McCarty, and many others answered no much later. I agree with all of them. The answer is...no.

Antonio Stradivari answered no in 1679.

CF Martin, Ted McCarty, and many others answered no much later. I agree with all of them. The answer is...no.

It might increase the long term strength of an 'acoustic' instrument to have binding, and would therefore be desirable on those instruments.

But I would love to see, instead of anecdotal info from hollow instruments, a scientific test on solid body guitars. Perhaps Paul could be persuaded to perform such a test? Build a pair of guitars from the same stock. Same chunk of mahogany for the body, same chunk of maple for the top, same neck and fingerboard wood, same finishing, same electronics etc. one with binding, one without. See if there is any measurable difference in the tonal spectrum between them.... and then let some listeners judge the difference in a double-blind test. PRS can't really lose with that, both instruments would clearly be desirable regardless....

Back