Bigsby?

kes7u

Wife's husband and Dog's dad
I was wondering if someone could please educate me regarding a Bigsby and its workings?? I have never seen or used one in person. Recently have been auto-repeat watching the Seether video for "Black Honey" on Youtube. I'm enamored with Clint Lowery's guitar!! Thank you!

Kevin

I'm not really that familiar, but think in a more warbly use than a "regular" whammy. I also believe there is less range of motion, so the effect isn't as drastic.

I had a Starla for a bit sweet guitar the bigbsy is a special animal when set up well they are killer, I struggled with mine a bit to be honest
but when right I loved the sound this guy show what a Starla can do in the right hands

I was wondering if someone could please educate me regarding a Bigsby and its workings?? I have never seen or used one in person. Recently have been auto-repeat watching the Seether video for "Black Honey" on Youtube. I'm enamored with Clint Lowery's guitar!! Thank you!

Kevin

As far as its workings, the strings wrap around a bar that is connected to a lever, which is held in position via a strong spring. Wiggle the lever to raise or lower the pitch. As already mentioned, it has less range of motion than the more common Fender-based vibrato. The design has several points of friction, which means several potential sources of tuning instability, but it has its own feel and sound and a pitch warble that can be tough to replicate on any other design.

I have a SG with a Bigsby. It has a rather unique feel to it when compared to a regular trem. Great for adding shimmer to chords.

To get the SG to stay in tune was quite easy - locking tuners (it came with them), nut sauce in the string slots of the nut and just the slightest bend in the opposite direction you pushed or pulled the bar in. I was quite surprised at how well it stays in tune.

I like the look and vibe of the Bigsby, but when I tried to play one (Gibson 335), the lever was in such an odd place, it felt quite awkward to me. Play one if you can, you never know. You might love it.

The Bigsby is a classic. By all means, go to the nearest Guitar Center and try one out -- they're bound to have some guitar with one.

There's just something...healthy about that arm. And I kind of dig what it does to the intonation.

I`m a sworn PRS/Mann trem guy because I`m not subtle. Several of my Baltimore guitar buddies have them and like the very subtle effect you can get. I will use that on chords, but I like to bend up as far as possible, and then add more with the trem bar. It didn`t happen when I had a Bigsby.

you need a 2 part bridge to accomodate it, not a wrap around, but the
Duesenberg Les Trem
add on gets good reviews....not seen anyone put one on a prs yet though. Mention it as its more akin to a bigsby system.

Bigsbys are awesome. Contrary to many popular myths on the internet, they are not that hard to restring (and can be made even easier with some third-party accessories) and they do not throw your guitar out of tune instantly as long as the rest of the guitar is setup correctly (especially the nut - nothing reveals a poorly-cut nut faster than a Bigsby) and as long as you're not trying to dive-bomb. They are meant to be fairly subtle, but it's a sound that no other vibrato system achieves. I happen to think they look super old-school-cool too...

Last edited:
Bigsbys are awesome. Contrary to many popular myths on the internet, they are not that hard to restring (and can be made even easier with some third-party accessories) and they do not throw your guitar out of tune instantly as long as the rest of the guitar is setup correctly (especially the nut - nothing reveals a poorly-cut nut faster than a Bigsby) and as long as you're not trying to dive-bomb. They are meant to be fairly subtle, but it's a sound that no other vibrato system achieves. I happen to think they look super old-school-cool too...
TOTALLY agree with the look. BadA$$. May need to give one a try!
Kevin

Back