Big Deal

For me, 2003 McCarty IRW neck goldtop. Nicest guitar I have ever owned. BAM member BostonGuitar sold it to me for $1500. I played it a few years but kept preferring the tone of my CU22. So, I sold it to a friend for $1500. Now I only ever see regular old mahogany neck McCarties in the $1500 range, everything rosewood is crazy priced because of CITES.

I feel you. I missed out on a '97 McCarty Archtop a couple of weeks ago. It was in killer shape, and listed at $2,495. Decided to sleep on it, and see how I felt the following morning. When I went to buy it at 6:00 AM, it was gone. :(
Ugh. Yeah, sleeping on anything besides your bed rarely turns out well.

I think I've let some others get the deal of a lifetime on some of the ones I've sold!

My best deal is probably on my mint 594 10 top that I got for $2500, not that that is a killer deal, but not bad

My best deal ever, I got my PRS NF3 from Guitar Center during one of their... "transition" periods where they had ALL high end gear marked way way down. I almost bought two PRS guitars then. But my NF3 was "new" and I paid $1100. Truth is, it was sold as new but had several small marks on it and I suspect it was either used or played a LOT in the store. It didn't appear new. But even a used one for that price is great and it's just a fantastic guitar, so I didn't complain.

Those are fantastic. Aside from it not being mine and not wanting to get my cooties all over it, I wish I wrapped my head around the one that was at my house for awhile a little more than I did. Now that I understand those NF pickups better, I’d love a guitar with them.
They are incredible pickups and the strat-like setup (3 pickups/5 way switch) gives an incredible amount of tonal range. I would never say this in front of my wife, who has bought me all three of my other PRS guitars, but if it came down to only keeping one guitar, this is the one I'd choose. I could never do that, the others being gifts. But I'm telling you this thing can do ANYTHING and do it exceptionally well. The extreme example I've used before is, Archon clean channel with bass and mids way down, NF3 gets pretty strat like. Channel 2 with the gain up at 11:00 and I'm playing metal. Gain at 8:30 = classic rock. Etc.

Edit: and don't ever underestimate the magic of playing leads on the middle pickup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are fantastic. Aside from it not being mine and not wanting to get my cooties all over it, I wish I wrapped my head around the one that was at my house for awhile a little more than I did. Now that I understand those NF pickups better, I’d love a guitar with them.
There was an Anniversary McCarty with twin NFs at my local GC (complete cr@phole) and had been on the wall forever. Probably around the time DTR was referring. Played it numerous times but I handed it back as soon as someone treated me like “you can’t afford this”. That was generally about 15 minutes. It was at $2300 and they weren’t budging, but I know I could bully my way to a deal, but with those guys, I just couldn’t care enough about the deal to put in the effort. Absolutely beautiful guitar and would love to have it today.

Truth is, I love the thing so much that I've always wanted a Swamp Ash Special, with the full sized 57/08 in the bridge and two NFs. Came real close twice to buying one and real close to trading the Mark V for one. Actually made a deal on the trade the Mark V and the guy said "if it doesn't sell by Friday" because he really wanted cash instead of trade, and sure enough, someone local bought it on Friday. :(

There was an Anniversary McCarty with twin NFs at my local GC (complete cr@phole) and had been on the wall forever. Probably around the time DTR was referring. Played it numerous times but I handed it back as soon as someone treated me like “you can’t afford this”. That was generally about 15 minutes. It was at $2300 and they weren’t budging, but I know I could bully my way to a deal, but with those guys, I just couldn’t care enough about the deal to put in the effort. Absolutely beautiful guitar and would love to have it today.

I used to balk at that model, completely out of ignorance as I suspect other people have as well considering how short lived NF’s kinda were.

Truth is, I love the thing so much that I've always wanted a Swamp Ash Special, with the full sized 57/08 in the bridge and two NFs. Came real close twice to buying one and real close to trading the Mark V for one. Actually made a deal on the trade the Mark V and the guy said "if it doesn't sell by Friday" because he really wanted cash instead of trade, and sure enough, someone local bought it on Friday. :(

I was this close to getting a powder blue SASNF off of CL but bought the KL instead.

I was this close to getting a powder blue SASNF off of CL but bought the KL instead.

You mean like this one? Wish I still had it...

DvPMQEO.jpg

You mean like this one? Wish I still had it...

DvPMQEO.jpg

That color but with three NF’s, rosewood board, and dirty birds.

I'm sorry. The correct answer here is "BOTH!" :) (yeah, that would be a tough choice... but I haven't played a KL or any Santana yet and Bodia tells me it's game over once I do).

The correct answer is both, but I had to choose which one first.

Bodia is right,... if it fits you. And if you are susceptible to Santana fever, then you’re basically screwed for life.

That color but with three NF’s, rosewood board, and dirty birds.

The correct answer is both, but I had to choose which one first.

Bodia is right,... if it fits you. And if you are susceptible to Santana fever, then you’re basically screwed for life.
ah, then you chose wisely. But if that one with the flamed maple neck and board was up, that would be hard to pass up. The NF3 is my only maple neck, maple board PRS and it's the greatest neck I"ve ever played. At one point, I thought about another NF3 and replacing the pickups with SCs to be my strat, but lets face it, anyone who takes NF pickups OUT of a guitar needs their head... needs their head to be in such a nice place that they send them to me. Yeah, that's it.

hmmm, random thought... NF would make an awesome bridge pickup for an HSS Strat.

Random thought #2- The greatest strat ever... would be an NF3 with coil taps!

I sold it because I couldn't bond with the neck at the time. Funny enough, that neck would be perfect for me now. Also, whoever bought it from me got a deal on it as this model didn't seem to be very popular when I sold it about 3-3.5 years ago. Price was pretty fair to start ($1700) and nobody was biting. Think I ended up selling closer to $1400.

I sold it because I couldn't bond with the neck at the time. Funny enough, that neck would be perfect for me now. Also, whoever bought it from me got a deal on it as this model didn't seem to be very popular when I sold it about 3-3.5 years ago. Price was pretty fair to start ($1700) and nobody was biting. Think I ended up selling closer to $1400.
$1400 :eek: And to think that we were THISCLOSE to being best friends!

Back