Big Deal

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
We all know that Mintzer has never paid more than $800 for a guitar; to include several Private Stocks. But the rest of us get to turn over our wallets, dump them out, and might even have to sell some plasma at the local blood bank to cover the rest.

As I ponder the profusion of pennies I've previously ponied-up for players, there is no doubt I've overpaid for one or two. But I have also been the beneficiary of more than one truly amazing deal. A deal on a PRS guitar makes for a good day and fun NGD. But a great deal - a remarkable deal - creates the kind of joy that lasts much longer.

I want to hear about your biggest deal on a PRS.

Mine...
Snagged a clean '87 Custom with birds off fee-bay for $3,500 at the peak of the market. I was given the original-run Modern Eagle (below) plus $1,750 in trade for it. I own it for $1,750.

Big deal? I think so.

2007_SCT_ME_Front-X3.png

Last edited:
Great deals that I don’t think I can match.

But, if you’ll allow a bit of a cheat: I got this as a signing bonus when I agreed to become chief technology officer for a dot com.
CK_216DragonNeckHeelDetail.JPG

No neck inlays, so I guess they saved a few pennies there. It was too good a guitar to play covers on, so I vowed to play only my own music on when I picked to up and have kept that vow since 2000.

Where do I start? I can't choose which was the bigger deal. For the last 10 years or so one of my hobbies has been to watch the private sales avenues for really good deals on PRSi. I have about a dozen that I found well below going market values or traded enough times to have built up more value in the trade guitars than I had dollars in them.

I guess I will have to settle on this one. A 1st year (88) PRS CE24. The guy had replaced the switch and didn't wire it back in correctly. The thing sounded like a wah pedal - without the wah pedal. I got it home and flipped the bridge ground & hot wires, because PRS Bridge pickups are reversed, and it played great. In this old photo I had put SD 59's in but the original unmarked PRS pickups are back in it now along with an original switch. I paid $500 for it.
mXMLxb2.jpg

uSzgFnq.jpg

Nah, big for buyers when I was selling. I was into quick sales and being done with it. I try not to sell stuff any more, since I was taking huge hits,

I ALMOST traded my old McCarty in on a stripped 58. Took it to Carter vintage in Nashville and they wouldn't make a deal and thought the pickups were replaced in my guitar because it had the old rounded-corner covers on it. Thankfully it didn't happen because I think I'd miss the McCarty too much.

There’s no “bought a perfect Mustang from a barn” story in my past. I get to hang out with you guys that do this daily!

The best buy ever was my One. It was one of those CraigsList floaters that kept lowering the price every week...starting at reasonable tanking to the ridiculous. Once the price dipped to $270, I called the guy figuring I’d be 15 minutes too late. But no, it was still available and he said he’d played it maybe twice. Okay..:rolleyes:

A meet-up at Ryan’s Steakhouse parking lot (not even the paved part) later, and drug dealer approved and certified cash exchange, I walked away with the most factory-fresh, perfect examples of an SE One I’ve ever seen. The magic was probably due to the deal site being halfway between Markie in BF Egypt and 11Top in Musical Mecca. There’s a protective halo around the area.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten some generous deals from a handful of buddies, and there was that time period where I was picking PRS from the trash and late night CL casual encounters, but I think the best deal I probably got on my own was this one:

xrSIgGc.jpg

$1500 off eBay. I kinda even got in a little trouble with my now wife because of it.

I’ve gotten some generous deals from a handful of buddies, and there was that time period where I was picking PRS from the trash and late night CL casual encounters, but I think the best deal I probably got on my own was this one:

xrSIgGc.jpg

$1500 off eBay. I kinda even got in a little trouble with my now wife because of it.
Well...it isn’t Santana shaped so maybe you deserved it.

I sold a guitar for the first time in years yesterday. Felt weird. Have another on the chopping block. Who am I!?

It’s hard for me to part with them, hence my ‘get it over with quickly’ dumb deals.

I’m sure you’ll be more patient!

I ALMOST traded my old McCarty in on a stripped 58.

As much as I’ve loved the half-dozen McCartys I’ve had, selling my Stripped 58 was perhaps my most foolish deal; and I’ve made some very foolish deals, so it has a lot of competition! My Stripper was simply one of those magic guitars. I sold it for a rock-bottom price because I had an incoming guitar, and didn’t want my wife to be angry.

As much as I’ve loved the half-dozen McCartys I’ve had, selling my Stripped 58 was perhaps my most foolish deal; and I’ve made some very foolish deals, so it has a lot of competition! My Stripper was simply one of those magic guitars. I sold it for a rock-bottom price because I had an incoming guitar, and didn’t want my wife to be angry.

This one was good but I was thinking about how cool my McCarty was being semi-hollow with no f-hole, all original from 97 with the papers and case just didn't seem right to go for a bone stock stripped 58. I'd still like to have one someday but not at the cost of parting with that McCarty.

I'm about to acquire the "not make the wife angry" situation in October so I sympathize with the one in-one out operation. My condolences on the loss of your stripper; hope what you got in its place was at least decent.

I’m not sure if this was a good deal or not.

jifGi4g.jpg

I was lookin’ for some 57/08’s (before they sold them separately) and came across this Mira with them in there for $800 shipped.

My thought was yanking the 57/08’s, putting some Mira pickups I had in there, and then selling it for $700-800... instead, I fell in love with the guitar and couldn’t bring myself to change anything on it except for the wooden parts that were unknowingly included in the case.

Back