Beware the Ides of March

frankb56

Sorry guys, had to bring this one up too.... I guess they only had b/w photos back in Ceaser's day.

106481474.jpg

I'm guessing the dramatic one with both hands in the air. (lower right hand corner)

;)

Yup. That would be me. Drama! Rome! Lights! Action!

I studied the writings of Caesar, Cicero, Virgil's Aeneid and Ovid as a kid (and in college)..."Gallia in tres partes divisa est." Opening sentence of Caesar's Commentaries.

Which, incidentally, shows how Latin-based English still is: "Gaul is divided into three parts." Direct lineage.

England was a Roman colony for about 400 years. During that time, Latin was the principal language. English is a creole language, that combines Latin words with German syntax. Caesar was the first Roman to invade England, by the way.

It was also reported by some Roman sources that Caesar's final words weren't "et tu Brute," but "et tu filius (and you my son)." Some historians believe that Brutus' mother was Caesar's mistress at the time, hence the appellation "filius." From which we get the English word, "Filial". ;)

Last edited:
England was a Roman colony for about 400 years. During that time, Latin was the principal language. English is a creole language, that combines Latin words with German syntax. Caesar was the first Roman to invade England, by the way.

"The Germans have an inhuman way of cutting up their verbs. Now a verb has a hard time enough of it in this world when it's all together. It's downright inhuman to split it up. But that's just what those Germans do. They take part of a verb and put it down here, like a stake, and they take the other part of it and put it away over yonder like another stake, and between these two limits they just shovel in German."

- Mark Twain's Speeches, "Disappearance of Literature"

Yup. That would be me. Drama! Rome! Lights! Action!

I studied the writings of Caesar, Cicero, Virgil's Aeneid and Ovid as a kid (and in college)..."Gallia in tres partes divisa est." Opening sentence of Caesar's Commentaries.

Which, incidentally, shows how Latin-based English still is: "Gaul is divided into three parts." Direct lineage.

It was also reported by some Roman sources that Caesar's final words weren't "et tu Brute," but "et tu filius (and you my son)." Some historians believe that Brutus' mother was Caesar's mistress at the time, hence the appellation "filius." From which we get the English word, "Filial". ;)

Ceasar is a generic term for the Roman Emperor (Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar,etc etc) and that's where the Germans take their word Kaiser from. There is more Viking than German is the English language although the Saxons were from Germany, French also plays a big part thanks to the Norman invasion.

BTW the town where I live started out as a Roman outpost...

Anybody remember a Canadian comedy duo from the late-'50's-early-'60's, called Wayne & Schuster? They were semi-regulars on the Ed Sullivan Show. We had one of their records when I was a kid, and in addition to great bits like Shakespearian Baseball Game ("Good night, sweet prince--may flights of shortstops sing thee to thy rest...") and Frontier Psychiatrist ("Tell me, cowboy--when did you first start hating your horse?"), they did the death of Julius Caesar as a hard-boiled detective radio show ("He was stabbed in the rotunda!" "That's a painful spot!") Great stuff! I don't think I've heard it since I was a teenager, but I can still remember some of the lines.

Back