Beware! PRS Guitar Polish may not be compatible with Paul’s Guitar finish!

I received a response from PRS on this issue this morning.

Here is what they said:

“Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Here's information from our website regarding the care and maintenance of PRS Guitars: https://prsguitars.com/support/cleaning_and_care

We advise using a quality furniture polish on your Satin or Nitro finished PRS Guitar. PRS Guitar Polish is intended primarily for normal acrylic or V12 finishes.

I will pass this message forward to our product development team to make them aware of this mislabeled product.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Customer Service & Tech Support”

So it would appear that nitro finished guitars should not use the PRS polish.

I am going to stick with Gibson Polish that specifically states it’s for use on nitro finished guitars.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

I know this was brought up earlier but visuals help... from PRS website

Screenshot_20210625-123310_Chrome4c1f947ec137db2c.jpg

I know this was brought up earlier but visuals help... from PRS website.

you are correct, but as I posted earlier in this thread, there are other places on PRS’s web site where they state that this polish IS appropriate for use on nitro finished PRS guitars; the same is true on some reseller’s web sites also. The polish bottle and its packaging has nothing on it about its use as well

So, it’s easy for an unsuspecting buyer to use this polish on their nitro finish and ruin it.

The bottom line is that this polish should not be used on nitro finishes.

I agree it's weird that a PRS polish doesn't work on all PRS guitars. It is a new finish for them though. That's said I wouldn't want to be one of the unfortunate souls to use it and mess up a guitar. It appears they have released a new formula that is safe for nitro? I wonder if that's adding to the confusion?

Screenshot_20210625-135834_Chromeb3eb7de5ce0032bf.jpg

I agree it's weird that a PRS polish doesn't work on all PRS guitars. It is a new finish for them though. That's said I wouldn't want to be one of the unfortunate souls to use it and mess up a guitar. It appears they have released a new formula that is safe for nitro? I wonder if that's adding to the confusion?

Evidently, there is no “new formula” that is safe for nitro finishes. That is exactly why I contacted PRS tech support/customer service. I bought the polish recently as part of their Guitar Care Kit based on the claims that this polish was ok for use on nitro finishes which I read on on of the reseller’s websites. However, when I tried to use it the polish was not compatible as I thought…I almost ruined my finish. So I contacted PRS and today received the response I posted. That is why they said there was product information errors that they would correct.

So, regardless of what is stated on any web site, this polish should not be used with PRS’s nitro finishes.

Have a great day.

I must admit I'm confused by PRS calling it a new formula safe for nitro in the accessory store but there is no "new" formula? Retailers site inaccuracies are one thing but a discrepancy between the PRS main page and accessory store is another. Add to that there is no "new" formula..

I've always avoided PRS polish cause I heard or read it wasn't safe for nitro. I'd prefer to use the same product across my guitars. Then with the new finish I assumed they'd make a new polish. Now it appears there is no new polish but marketed as such? Good to know.

I brought this issue up in July of 2020 when my Nebula arrived. The discussion was in the Silver Sky thread.
https://forums.prsguitars.com/posts/573130/

The response from the factory was that it was safe for my Nebula. I used it exactly once and didn’t notice any change to the finish. I have not put it on my Lunar Ice and don’t think I want to try it.

I picked up some Virtuoso Premium Polish which was recommended for my Collings which is Nitro. Think I’ll wait for the factory to recommend a polish for my Silver Sky guitars. Caution and patience is warranted here.

I've been using the same bottle of axwax for about 15 years on any guitar.
I use some xlr8 pads to put axwax on my strings before playing.
I also put a little on my board when I change strings.
Has anyone ever heard of any problems with axwax?

DSC01052.jpg

PW-XLR8-01.jpg

I've been using the same bottle of axwax for about 15 years on any guitar.
I use some xlr8 pads to put axwax on my strings before playing.
I also put a little on my board when I change strings.
Has anyone ever heard of any problems with axwax?

DSC01052.jpg

PW-XLR8-01.jpg
I have been using Dr. Duck's AxWax on my Martin's, Strat and MM Stingray for years. On my Martin's and strat, it seems to have given the finish a darker color, but does not appear to have "damaged" it. I always use it on my fretboards (I don't have any maple fretboards yet). I have been told that Martin uses Dr. Duck's at the factory on the fretboards. Due to the darkening of the color though on body parts, I have stopped using it on any of my finishes other than fretboard (and bridge or other raw wood that needs oil). And those bottles of AxWax do last for decades, especially if used only on untreated wood.

On another note, I read an article just a few days ago regarding overuse of oils on your fretboard. This luthier was recommending using oil once a year at best on your fretboard. And only when it is looking/feeling dry. Reason is, repetitive use of these oils can seep down into the fret channels and deteriorate the wood in those channel due in part to not being able to wipe off the excess in those hidden areas, creating a very soft wood that can allow the frets to come unseated. As you know, when you use the oil on your board, you should always wipe it clean of excess/surface oil that is not absorbed after a few minutes.

As for the original content of this thread, I am quite upset with PRS for NOT informing everyone who has purchased a Nitro finish guitar that PRS polish is not suitable for their (usually) high end instruments. IMO, every registered owner of a Nitro finish guitar should have been contacted warning them of the issues with PRS's very own polish. The bottles and packaging should also have been redesigned before the first Nitro guitar came out of the factory, to include warnings regarding the incompatibility with the new finishes being produced by the factory, and existing stock of that product (polish) should have been pulled and replaced with product containing the appropriate warnings. New guitars with Nitro finish should come with a warning in large red capital lettering sitting atop the included paperwork "DO NOT USE PRS GUITAR POLISH ON THIS INSTRUMENT. DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR GUITAR'S FINISH DUE TO FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS WARNING WILL NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR PRS WARRANTY". Get on it PRS, you owe us that much respect for what we give you (big money)!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Sorry if this has been said already, but if you look at the support page about cleaning tips, as seen in SinSirs previous comment above, the part about prs polish not being safe for nitro has been removed. It now says their polish is safe for all. Im new to the forum and cannot post any links yet, but you see by googling prs guitars cleaning and care. It is very bizarre if there really isn't a new formula that is indeed safe for nitro. Unchecked sales and marketing deceiving/confusing customers to make what, a couple bucks off a 5 dollar bottle of polish? Sell $10k private stock beautiful high gloss nitro finishes, and promote a $5 product knowing it's a recipe for disaster just makes zero sense.

I’ve been using Gibson polish now going on 30 years. The orange label pump version…
. Best polish out there for nitro….it does NOT darken the wood……

Last edited:
They must have changed the packaging on the polish. I am pretty sure that the bottles I have mention that it was not compatible with certain finish types. I have had mine for a while and the reason is that statement on the bottle. I am usually not too willing to test things out that could damage the finish. I stick with Gibson polish. I have never had an issue with it on any finish type. It actually has nitro in it. I have been using if for many years.

They must have changed the packaging on the polish. I am pretty sure that the bottles I have mention that it was not compatible with certain finish types. I have had mine for a while and the reason is that statement on the bottle. I am usually not too willing to test things out that could damage the finish. I stick with Gibson polish. I have never had an issue with it on any finish type. It actually has nitro in it. I have been using if for many years.
The old version was not recommended for their Nitro finishes, and said that, at least on the webpage. Can't remember if it was on the bottle. The new formula is supposed to be safe for all of their finishes, but a couple of people have reported issues.

Me as well………

Back