Beware! PRS Guitar Polish may not be compatible with Paul’s Guitar finish!

Daveporter33765

I recently purchased a Core Paul’s Guitar. I also purchased one of PRS’s branded Guitar Care Kits sold on their web site.

It’s a good thing that I always test guitar cleaners and polish on a small spot of the back of guitars the first time I use them because I found out the hard way that PRS’s own branded polish is not useable on my guitar’s finish. As soon as I applied the PRS polish, it immediately started to react with the finish to create deep streaks that seemed to be “glued” onto the surface. I was able to get the polish/finish streaks off using the PRS guitar cleaner and a LOT of buffing. Once I got the deep streaks off, I polished the area with a polishing product from another company that stated it was suitable for all finishes, including nitrocellulose lacquer. Unfortunately, it is still possible to notice the finish damage in the area where the polish was applied, but, it’s not horribly bad. I am so glad that I did not apply the polish to the “10” top…that would have been a disaster.

Nowhere on the PRS’s Guitar Care Kit box, on the polish bottle itself, nor in the description for the product on the PRS web site does it state that this polish is not suitable for use on the finish on my Paul’s guitar. Therefore, one would expect PRS’s own polish to be safe for any PRS guitar…but that does not appear to be the case!

I sent PRS an email message reporting this issue. Hopefully they will change their description of their product on their web site and place a warning on their packaging.

I am posting this here because this is a serious problem that many people may not be aware of. I hope none of you run into the same problem I did. Had I not started with a small test spot on the back of my guitar, I could have ruined a beautiful “10” top!

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Last edited:
Hmm well not yet , I do have a brand new PRS guitar care kit I have not used yet.
Thanks for the heads up I will tread carefully.
I always have used Gibson Luthers Choise Polish and fretboard conditioner , Thought I would give the PRS stuff a go.

I am awaiting a response from PRS on this issue. When they respond I will report back here. I did some more research after I posted earlier.

I went to other websites that sell the PRS guitar care kit. On Amazon’s website they state: “May be used on either nitro or standard PRS finishes”. However, on PRS’s Support Page under “Cleaning and polishing tips” they state: “We recommend PRS Guitar Cleaner and/or PRS Guitar Polish for all PRS guitars with our normal acrylic or V12 finish. However, because the PRS Guitar Polish is NOT safe for Nitro finish, a quality furniture polish can be used to polish your Satin or Nitro finished PRS guitar.”. Then on PRS’s Accessories page it states “ PRS Polish is formulated to our high standards to leave your PRS's finish glossy and smooth. We recommend this new formula as it is safe for nitrocellulose finishes.”.

So, based on the problem I encountered when I damaged by finish, there appears to be some misinformation about the use of the PRS Guitar Care Kit.

Last edited:
I am awaiting a response from PRS on this issue. When they respond I will report back here. I did some more research after I posted earlier.

I went to other websites that sell the PRS guitar care kit. On Amazon’s website they state: “May be used on either nitro or standard PRS finishes”. However, on PRS’s Support Page under “Cleaning and polishing tips” they state: “We recommend PRS Guitar Cleaner and/or PRS Guitar Polish for all PRS guitars with our normal acrylic or V12 finish. However, because the PRS Guitar Polish is NOT safe for Nitro finish, a quality furniture polish can be used to polish your Satin or Nitro finished PRS guitar.”.

So, based on the problem I encountered when I damaged by finish, there appears to be some misinformation about the use of the PRS Guitar Care Kit.
What does it say on the actual box or bottle?

Amazon (or whatever store it sells it for) may have the info wrong.

Unfortunately there is no guidance of any sort on the box or bottle. However, there is conflicting info on the PRS site (see my second post above).

My experience appears to support the statement that the polish should not be used on nitro finished surfaces.

Hopefully, PRS will clarify and tell us what is correct.

That is messed up! They should be sending out a notification to all who have a nitro finished guitar registered with them about this topic. To think that their own stuff does not work on some of their models, and no warnings on the bottle! Unacceptable!!! I have that same kit, but have not yet used the polish, and will definitely look into this further considering all 3 of mine have the nitro cellulose finish! I have used the cleaner without any issues that I have noticed.

That is messed up! They should be sending out a notification to all who have a nitro finished guitar registered with them about this topic. To think that their own stuff does not work on some of their models, and no warnings on the bottle! Unacceptable!!! I have that same kit, but have not yet used the polish, and will definitely look into this further considering all 3 of mine have the nitro cellulose finish! I have used the cleaner without any issues that I have noticed.

As soon as I have a response from PRS I will post it. Until then I would wait to use the polish on my guitar just to be safe.

I would think , with making so many different types of finishes, something would be printed on the PRS care kit.

I would have thought so also, but there is nothing about applicability of use on the Kit box or any of the individual components. unfortunately, the data on-line is very confusing since the various sources are conflicted.

I just finished cleaning my guitar’s back again with PRS Guitar Cleaner and then using a powered buffer to buff-out all the remaining remnants of the old polish mess. Then I polished the guitar with my old stand-by, Gibson Guitar Polish that is designed for nitro finishes, several times. I no longer see any evidence of any finish damage so whatever the PRS polish reacted with can be removed with a LOT of work. With the Gibson polish applied my Paul’s Guitar appears to be fine, however, I don’t know if I didn’t remove a portion of the top coat of the finish that PRS applied at the factory but at least the base colored finish coat was not affected. In any event, I won’t be using the PRS polish again until I hear from PRS that it is, or is not, ok for use on my guitar. If it is, I need to know what went wrong before I would use it again as well.

Last edited:
I've always been under the impression that it's not to be used on their nitro finishes. I definitely got that from the PRS website under the care/cleaning section. I seem to recall there was something in the PRS Store that mentioned that, too. However, this is the new description in the store.

The Guitar Care Bundle includes everything you'll need to keep your PRS guitar in top shape. The bundle includes guitar cleaner, guitar polish, (all nitro safe) fingerboard conditioner and three micro-fiber polishing cloths.

This cleaner may be used on either nitro or standard PRS finishes.

I've always been under the impression that it's not to be used on their nitro finishes. I definitely got that from the PRS website under the care/cleaning section. I seem to recall there was something in the PRS Store that mentioned that, too. However, this is the new description in the store.

The Guitar Care Bundle includes everything you'll need to keep your PRS guitar in top shape. The bundle includes guitar cleaner, guitar polish, (all nitro safe) fingerboard conditioner and three micro-fiber polishing cloths.

This cleaner may be used on either nitro or standard PRS finishes.

However, currently on PRS’s Support Page under “Cleaning and polishing tips” they state: “We recommend PRS Guitar Cleaner and/or PRS Guitar Polish for all PRS guitars with our normal acrylic or V12 finish. However, because the PRS Guitar Polish is NOT safe for Nitro finish, a quality furniture polish can be used to polish your Satin or Nitro finished PRS guitar.”.

When I used it for the first time on my Paul’s Guitar the polish made a very sticky smeared mess that was very hard to get off and appeared to be attacking the finish. I had followed the simple directions on the bottle by cleaning the guitar with PRS Guitar Cleaner (with no issues) and then applied the polish and immediately experienced the problem.

That is why we need clarification from PRS.

This has me a bit concerned since I have a 2020 DGT and I've used the polish once and didn't see anything weird. Now I'm hesitant for a second run of polish.

Back