Better than going bareback.

sergiodeblanc

Last week I alluded to the fact that a guitar was coming back from Stevensville, I had to have some real time with it before I could come on here and start gushing, so here goes....

I sent the "Blanc" CE to the PTC for a neck re-carve, it started off as a W/F neck which I loved the tone of, but I kept having trouble wrapping my thumb around top to mute the low "E" string, which is kinda important to my overall playing technique. While discussing my options with Shawn and deciding on a new carve, he also suggested that we do the new "finish is IN the wood" process that PRS does for it's maple necked guitars.... all I can think of sayin' is: BANGIN'!!!!!! (In capital letters)

My main guitar for the last twenty years has been an alder maple-top CE whose nitro finish got worn off, and then all together removed. I love how quick feeling and never sticky it's neck is, and I am also so used to it's regular carve neck that I was hoping to replicate it as close as I could on the CE22.

"Bigfoot" Pics:

This thing feels "amaze-balls", the carve is still chunky enough to sound great, and the finish feels like there's nothing there. If you own an older CE or a SAS you gotta get this done! The neck is really the only place where the "feel" of the finish impacts your playing, and this is better than all the unfinished necks I've played in my life! This guitar was already so special to me because of all the energy it's been infused with, but now.... it's a frickin' MONSTER!

I'm going to make an amendment to the old "If you want things done right" adage: "If you want things done right, send it to the PTC." If PRS made prophylactics, the world wouldn't be over-populated, it feels so good!

Don't be a buster, unbolt those necks and throw 'em in the direction of Stevensville and tell 'em Sergio sent you.

Last edited:
Bonzer! (The Aussie version of "Bangin!")

I think it's amazing the PTC can do recarves, what a service! I know what you mean by "that finish" too, when I come over for Exp I plan to bring the CU22 Soapy for a neck refin, natural back and some de-blueification (just for you Serg).

GGRRRRR! My neck doesn't unscrew!

Good to hear it turned out so well. It'd suck if it came back and made you feel.... blue.

While discussing my options with Shawn and deciding on a new carve, he also suggested that we do the new "finish is IN the wood" process that PRS does for it's maple necked guitars.... all I can think of sayin' is: BANGIN'!!!!!! (In capital letters)

My main guitar for the last twenty years has been an alder maple-top CE whose nitro finish got worn off, and then all together removed. I love how quick feeling and never sticky it's neck is, and I am also so used to it's regular carve neck that I was hoping to replicate it as close as I could on the CE22.

Smashing!!

If that's the same neck finish that's on my 2012 Experience Limited, it is fan-freakin-tastic! Best. Neck. Finish. Evar!

Nice! I'm a big fan of the satin neck finish as well. Enjoy it!

there's nuthin' like runnin' your fingers down a super smooth neck until you get to the shoulder and then the collar bone and then on to the...

wait, did I just type that for all to see?

oops

Back