Better order your PS with swamp ash

The good builders will always find stuff to make good guitars out of.
But I will be highly amused if 50 years from now my lowly SAS is the big ticket guitar of old.

I doubt that ash will be an expensive collectible (simply because of the wood) in the relatively near future. There have been a hell of a lot of guitars made from ash. Besides that Peter, if you're around in 50 years, you'll be more vintage. :p

I'm surprised walnut isn't used more as a body wood. I have a number made from walnut. It's about the same density as mahogany, and can be exceptionally pretty (especially with gloss ;);):D). Oh, and it sounds good.

Last edited:
I doubt that ash will be an expensive collectible (simply because of the wood) in the relatively near future. There have been a hell of a lot of guitars made from ash. Besides that Peter, if you're around in 50 years, you'll be more vintage. :p

I'm surprised walnut isn't used more as a body wood. I have a number made from walnut. It's about the same density as mahogany, and can be exceptionally pretty (especially with gloss ;);):D). Oh, and it sounds good.

With regard walnut, I agree

Somehow I'm not too worried about the PS vault running out of it, but I may be overly optimistic.

That said this was brought up on the Warmoth forum back in Spring and while Warmoth still has a good supply for the coming year they do expect it become rarer after that. To be safe I ordered couple Strat/Soloist-style bodies with swamp ash backs (one with quilt top, the other with burl maple) ;-)

My power service provider has 3 earmarked in my front yard to take down at their expense. That's the good news. The bad news is they won't cut the logs into manageable firewood size nor will they haul the wood away. So, that is up to me, and there is so much ash around that nobody will come and haul away the firewood, unless I pay them.

The good thing (if there is such a thing) about ash is that it tends to fall down in pieces. Therefore, for the most part, there isn't much danger of it falling onto your house unless it's right on top of it or there is a really strong wind.

So you’re getting more ash than you can handle?

HmhKS0I.jpg

Back