Better neck for small hands - DGT or 594?

Mole351

Curious. Unfortunately I have no dealers within a 2 hour drive that carry these. Either one better than the other? Or really just a matter of preference?

I have small hands with relatively thick fingers - my hand span is 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip full stretched (most adult males are ~9" on average).

I have no issues playing any of the PRS neck profiles. Because of my thick fingers, I actually prefer the wider necks, and I'm fine with thin or fat profiles (depth), mainly because I have no hope of using my thumb on the E string.

But, I would think that the DGT would be the "fatter" of the two profiles, though both are fatter than a Pattern (wide fat) carve, so maybe you'd find the 594 carve to be more suitable.

xref hand span size. Check out this for hand span size data:

http://www.smallpianokeyboards.org/hand-span-data.html

Ultimately, I think it's a matter of preference. I have very little play time on a 594 neck, but I didn't notice anything that made me squeamish on them. I love my DGT neck - to me, it's pretty much perfect, to the point I asked the PS team to measure it when they did my PS. And I have what my friend calls "Billy Barty hands".

All that said, I'm pretty much neck agnostic - I don't seem to have the sensitivity to neck carves and scale lengths that some folks have, so YMMV.

I have both, and like Alan, don't have difficulty going back and forth between any of the neck carves. I like both carves, and don't have super long fingers. If you forced me to pick only one, I would say 594. There is just "something" about it that makes it feel like an old friend.

Last edited:
Ever since I had a PRS profile thin I don't like fat necks. I say take the drive 2 plus hours or not and get one in your hands, I'm sure you won't regret making an educated decision.

Thanks all - great info.

Shinksma - I measured my hand span - 7.5 - lol! I pretty much have dwarf fingers and a tiny (bent) pinky. My wring finger is shorter than a lot of people's ring finger. Hasn't kept me from becoming a decent guitarist - though I can't do crazy chord fingerlings and not sure if it hinders having blazing speed - I can play fairly quickly but far from a shredder.

Huggy - I prefer thin necks as well after playing them. That said - I though your favorite was your HB? Isn't that a fat neck?

I played a les Paul for a few years as my main guitar - was certainly ok with it. But then after playing the pattern thin of a ce thought I was in heaven.

DTG carve is closest to the standard carve on the on I have ( 1/32 less wide )
the 594 is the biggest PRS carve ( along with the 513 ) that I have tried
I also have smaller hands ( short fingers ) and like the the WF and pattern carves best as I don't have to bend my fingers as sharply but I am fine on any PRS carve its the Thin Ibanez style necks that don't work for me

The Pattern Vintage profile is both wider and deeper than the DGT profile.

If you've ever played a Wide/Fat or Pattern, the Pattern Vintage adds extra girth in all the right places to fill your palm.

If you've ever played a Regular or Pattern Regular, the DGT feels similar to that.

You make the call on what you like best.

The Pattern Vintage profile is both wider and deeper than the DGT profile.

If you've ever played a Wide/Fat or Pattern, the Pattern Vintage adds extra girth in all the right places to fill your palm.

If you've ever played a Regular or Pattern Regular, the DGT feels similar to that.

You make the call on what you like best.
Heh, I did not know that - from reading the descriptions yesterday, they both sounded like slightly fatter version of the Pattern (Wide Fat) neck. But now I read these and that makes sense:

594:
A new Pattern Vintage neck carve, which shares the same width measurements as PRS’s Pattern neck but is slightly thicker front to back and features an asymmetrical carve with a little less meat on the treble side and a little more meat on the bass side of the neck.
[1]

DGT:
The neck is to David’s specs,” elaborates Smith, “which is actually a little smaller carve than PRS’ standard wide fat, and includes much taller frets.
[2]

Sources:
1. http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/core/mccarty_594
2. http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/prs-dgt-and-mira/14594

So now I want to try a DGT neck. Might involve buying a DGT...

I'm fixing to have either that or a 594..hence the reason for the post in the first place

Back