Better Late Than Never NGD ~ Bernie Content

JStarr

Banned
Last week I posted for the first time in the General Discussion section. In my introductory post, I raved about how blown away I was by my first experience with a PRS guitar, albeit a Korean built SE. For those that didn't catch the post, I have been through several guitars (mostly USA Gibsons) in the past few years, looking for "the one." Long story short, I stumbled upon the Bernie quite buy accident while shopping for an AM STD Strat. Instant love affair... for much less than half the price I've been paying for most of my guitars (I got lucky and scored a brand new 2014 Bernie fresh out of the box for $485).

For those interested, my only mods to date are the TonePros Kluson Nickel Plated (drop-in) tuners and raw nickel pup covers. I think the creme color of the Kluson buttons match the guitar binding well, plus they're much more stable & accurate. Being a 2014, it came with a blank truss rod cover. After getting a new OEM SE PRS cover direct from PRS online, I might switch back. The quality of the new TRC from PRS was poor at best... I was rather surprised. Possible Graphtech nut install on the horizon, but the stocker seems fine once I cleaned it up and hit it with Nut Sauce.

Enough of the jibber jabber... here's a few pics.

a6b9f4e6-4a41-4306-a7d4-87e1782d9758_zps2f25734d.jpg

7373abaa-6885-4fdd-811c-3078cb0c1c07_zps7e2da7ec.jpg

a84579cf-34a8-4cd2-b299-aeda2e497448_zps875753b8.jpg

bf735f64-2b88-4a09-bcf7-ae56539aa06d_zps005c762c.jpg

Congrats on the new guitar! Nickel covers just look right on the Bernie's!

Love the tuners. Look much better than the green tinted ones they use stock. I'll change mine one day but they work for now.

Welcome to the Bernie club and the forum!

beautiful! What was it that sealed the deal for you: tone, playability, looks? will you be swapping out the pups, or are you happy with the stock ones? Anyway, nice to have a new forum member:)

beautiful! What was it that sealed the deal for you: tone, playability, looks? will you be swapping out the pups, or are you happy with the stock ones? Anyway, nice to have a new forum member:)

Truthfully, the guitar as a whole is what sealed the deal. The biggest factor was probably the setup & playability right out of the box. Superb. It was unboxed and put on display literally minutes before I picked it up and plugged it in at Guitar Center. I was the first to play it, and it was a dream. Super low action with no buzz. Excellent fret work. Love the "fat" neck. I was shocked to find that it was better intonated than my '14 Gibson LPJ. Never expected that from stopbar (sans tune-o-matic). Fit & finish? Flawless. Pickups? Light years better than the new Gibson USA '61 Zebras.

Beautiful. Been considering one myself once i find and land a SE EG. Trust me, that thing is far better then a fender AM standard even if they are apples and oranges. You made the right choice.

Last edited:
Saw the title and hoped that it'd be the black one. But that sweet flame... Nice score there! :beer:

Back