Best way to build a guitar body from a blank?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Hey all, I am wanting to do some wood working soon and I thought "Hey, why not build a guitar body?" So I am set out to do that.

My schematic for it is basically a LP junior style body that is a semi hollow. I am still debating how many strings I want on it. Basically what my plan was is to get a piece of mahogany, cut the body, then route out a section in the body for a hollow chamber, put supports from side to side on it (Slope to slope idea, basically it's one chiseled triangle that is shaped into a slope with a connecting piece of wood to an opposite slope to give support to the top and sides.) My top would be a really nice piece of burl or spalted maple or something really figured. I would cut out a template for that and put in my F hole and then glue the top to it. What would you recommend for this little wood working project?

You really should join the TDPRI Forum.

https://www.tdpri.com/forums/

Their "DIY channel" section will be a massively helpful resource for you as a budding luthier. And it doesn't have to be Telecaster related. People share a lot of different builds and knowledge there.

Also the Tele-Technical section will be great. It is very Tele focused, but a lot of content transfers anywhere in the guitar world, like fret leveling, electronics, etc.

Hey all, I am wanting to do some wood working soon and I thought "Hey, why not build a guitar body?" So I am set out to do that.

My schematic for it is basically a LP junior style body that is a semi hollow. I am still debating how many strings I want on it. Basically what my plan was is to get a piece of mahogany, cut the body, then route out a section in the body for a hollow chamber, put supports from side to side on it (Slope to slope idea, basically it's one chiseled triangle that is shaped into a slope with a connecting piece of wood to an opposite slope to give support to the top and sides.) My top would be a really nice piece of burl or spalted maple or something really figured. I would cut out a template for that and put in my F hole and then glue the top to it. What would you recommend for this little wood working project?

YouTube. There are hundreds if not thousands of videos on what you are planning...Crimson Guitars, Texas Toast Guitars, Bonehead Guitars, Guns and Guitars, BIGDGUITARS, are all builders with good videos. Search through to find the topic you are working on.

I've built several bodies and a handful of necks. On your first one don't do semi-hollow unless you have a big planet and can get the top and back completely level or you'll end up with gaps.

Don't do figured wood on the first one either. There's a huge risk of tearout during cutting unless the tools are extremely well honed and sharpened.

You need to have a planer, a band saw, sanding equipment, a router, template material, a drill press, and a good place to use all of that.

My suggestion on a first built body is something easy like an esquire or Tele with a top-load bridge and use something cheap like pine or alder that's also easy to work with in case anything catastrophic happens.

Reactions: Roy
In the 80's, when I was a cabinetmaker (in my 20's) I made a few guitars. Even though they were all simple solidbodies, the first two ended up stillborn with issues, and so never made it to completion. The third one made it all the way and I still have it, and it plays and sounds great now, but it needed some major work to correct a twist in the neck.

Making sure the wood is really dry is important.

20200721-082357-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Wood moisture #1. Let the wood relax after each shaping step.
Sharp tools. Learn how to sharpen.
Consider hand tools, helps learn about grain...
Scrapers
Templates

Save the money your going to spend on all the parts for your dream ten top core. Unless you have all the tools and resources, it not going to be worth while. Buy a cheap used SE, and do some mods yourself. This way, you’ll have a playable guitar to your specs.

Back