Best under a grand?

I’d nominate the Holcomb SE SVN as there is guaranteed no other seven string under a thousand bucks that comes close. I bought both of these as demo sales from Sweetwater a couple weeks before they were to be initially released, so they were discounted just shy of $1k. I ended up returning the walnut one. I always intended to keep just one and the burst was it. Very fun to play and they didn’t cut corners on the things I consider important.
NwdzD8u.jpg

I have three that are really outstanding. The Mira above is one.

Here's the second (I paid $500!!). It is so far out of its own league.
LKOjIsd.jpg

And the third is my "prettiest." This had been modded since this photo. Killer guitar.
VszKGBd.jpg

The best I own under a grand...well, I can't really say my PRS stuff. My PG and 35th are technically under a grand...but technically not (taxes, upgrades). So, I'm gonna say this one. This is a DBZ Bolero I scored for about $400 off reverb. The first run of these were Chinese, but after a buttload of QC complaints, manufacturing was moved to World Music, and this is one of those from that factory. Its like a slightly thinner LP design, with two knobs, but the fretwork is just ace. While setting it up, I could not find any fret that wasnt level. Very impressive run of guitars, and come to find out stock pickups are G&B (just like old SE's and S2's). I did swap for Dragon 2's, but even with that, new tuners, nut, and bridge We are still well under a grand.

Ignore the pickup rings and knobs. I need to swap those out.
ejL3NHt.jpg

I have three that are really outstanding. The Mira above is one.

Here's the second (I paid $500!!). It is so far out of its own league.
And the third is my "prettiest." This had been modded since this photo. Killer guitar.
VszKGBd.jpg

I played several of their models that were very nice. It's hard for even a real big name like them, to come in and make guitars that "aren't a strat copy" or "aren't a Les Paul copy." People just don't give them a chance. There's a million guys at TGP that will say the same things about PRS. "Boy, it sure played great but I just didn't bond with the sound" or something like that. Well, when you have your complete setup based around a Les Paul and you plug in a Custom 22 without turning a knob on any amp or pedal, it may not blow you away. It doesn't sound like a strat or Les Paul and to some, that means it's not good. Turn the knobs!

Does it count that I paid over a grand the first time, then under a grand the second? I think they averaged out to a grand twice. :)

Is this Sergio's former Mira, too?

If so, here it is:
Ay8puSr.jpg
Negative. Although, I did play that one on more than one occasion. I bought a beater Mira 18 months ago for $500.

No doubt, as well as CAD vs USD.

Negative. Although, I did play that one on more than one occasion. I bought a beater Mira 18 months ago for $500.

Cheating for you maybe, but I paid less than $1000 towards it. :)

Yeah, in CAD, that's like, what? $86.50 USD?

All my sub 1000 guitars were bought over 30 years ago. Does inflation count?

Are you guys musicians or accountants?

Back