Best tuning machines debate (civilized debate)

DK1984

I see a lot of builders use Sperzel on top builds. I've had them and they were good, but I'd argue the Gotoh/Schallers (even the M6) model are just as good..if not better in some cases.

Just curious what you guys think about that?

PRS Phase III are definitely my favorite so far.

Have some Sperzels on a project build, and they have the problem of the pin sticking in the up position when changing strings. PRS tuners never had that problem due to the design difference.

I have sperzels on my ESP and I really like them. The larger diameter tightening nut makes it easy to get a good clamp on the strings.

I've gotten used to the Phase III tuners from PRS and like the way they work. I was very disappointed when the decision was made to omit them from many 2020 models. I've had Sperzel tuners on several Carvins, and they are reliable and well made. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I'm not sure who makes the Fender locking tuners used on the 80s-90s Strat Plus and Plus Deluxe, but they also worked well.

The ones I have used have all been reliable, so if I wasn't building a top notch, spare no expense instrument I wouldn't worry at all about using a "lesser" brand. If you're building a Cadillac, though, use Cadillac parts.

Gotohs that lock from the back are super stable as well. They also look like non lockers from the front, have them in my Tele.
I think Gotoh also makes the PRS tuners now.

Phase III's are fabulous - BUT - they are not a replacement for II's, like II's were for I's. This bums me out.

PTC can do it but = $$$$$

I'm pretty happy with most locking tuners I tried:
Schaller M6 locking
Hipshot
PRS Phase III

I was less impressed with the Gotoh locking tuners that lock automatically from the top. They're solid tuning wise, but you still have to wind the mechanism a lot to lock or unlock the string. Also, the slots on top get worn pretty quickly if abused (on my second hand ESP it's very visible someone used a coin and was not too subtle about it).

I've always resisted Sperzel for no real reason.

Schallers work great, but they weigh a ton.
I prefer to keep mass off the headstock, so I am a big fan of the Hipshot open back lockers. Nice and light and work great.
PRS Phase II and Phase III work equally well for my needs. Either the Gotoh-made core, or I forget who makes the S2 and SE versions.
Gotoh makes a darn good tuning key. I've used their 6-inline Klusons. I wouldn't hesitate to use any Gotoh product in general.

Speaking of Gotoh, a year or so ago, I got hold of a mid-80's Squier neck that looked like it had been stuck in a garage corner for years. It had most of four original Gotoh keys on it. They were nasty so I thought they'd be trash, but all they needed was a wipe down and a couple of buttons and they work great!

I like the look and stability of phase 3, but I prefer the other style that have the thumb wheel behind the headstock like the ones on my strat

The only downside of locking tuners is I am prone to breaking strings when messing with pickups / bridges, that gets old, would be interested in tip to be able to tighten them enough for tuning without pinching them enough to weaken them so that they cant be taken out and then re-used

Anyone?

I like the look and stability of phase 3, but I prefer the other style that have the thumb wheel behind the headstock like the ones on my strat

The only downside of locking tuners is I am prone to breaking strings when messing with pickups / bridges, that gets old, would be interested in tip to be able to tighten them enough for tuning without pinching them enough to weaken them so that they cant be taken out and then re-used

Anyone?

If you know you're going to experiment, you could try giving the strings a little slack the first time you tune them up. Less than a full wind. Then when you take them off and put them back on, take out enough of the slack so that you lock a fresh portion of string.

Gotoh if Im modifying, PRS Phase III if it comes with them, the PRS S2 Lockings are good, and ive got no complaints about the Fender/Schaller locking ones. Ive had Sperzels on an old ESP as well.

In other words, if it locks them down, and does a good job, Im happy. As long as they give rock solid tuning stability and do what i want in regards to quick string changes, Im brand agnostic that way. I hate non locking tuners, apart from the ones on my Taylor Acoustic, they are good.

Back