Best To Check The Fuse

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
FWIW

I'm currently having my vintage amps gone over, replacing ungrounded cords and leaky capacitors.

Of the first five (1959 tweed Deluxe, 63 blonde Bassman, 62 brown Vibrolux, 62 brown Deluxe, 63 brown Princeton) every one had the wrong amp fuse. One had a 30 watt fuse ..... at least there were none with tin foil.

The reason I bring it up is that many here buy used amps and it's a good idea to make sure that the fuse installed is the correct one.

Last edited:
Very smart to post this!

The other things I'd do with any vintage amp in addition to what you've mentioned::

Have a grounded plug installed, double check all the wiring and parts (including whether there's proper grounding for all I/O), and check the pots.

Last edited:
Very smart to post this!

The other things I'd do with any vintage amp in addition to what you've mentioned::

Have a grounded plug installed, double check all the wiring and parts (including whether there's proper grounding for all I/O), and check the pots.
I had been bringing up the Bassman on a Variac and happened to touch it and a metal surround on the counter top. During a stiff jolt I heard God say, "This time you get off for being stupid, but you really should get everything converted to a grounded plug", or words to that effect.

Replacing the capacitors is just a good idea in order to protect the original transformer. I've had every piece taken off saved in the event someone wants to restore them back to "original" condition for show.

I had been bringing up the Bassman on a Variac and happened to touch it and a metal surround on the counter top. During a stiff jolt I heard God say, "This time you get off for being stupid, but you really should get everything converted to a grounded plug", or words to that effect.

Replacing the capacitors is just a good idea in order to protect the original transformer. I've had every piece taken off saved in the event someone wants to restore them back to "original" condition for show.
You are a smart person!

Very smart to post this!

That seems like a lot of work. I’m hoping I get a pass since I’m the original owner.

That seems like a lot of work. I’m hoping I get a pass since I’m the original owner.
How old? I don't think capacitors are made to last more than 30 years ... they may, but for how much longer?

I know the big capacitors in my flash packs last much longer when they are charged up monthly. Perhaps if you've been using it lightly for the time you've owned it they are in passable shape, but if you want to keep it I'd suggest spending the $200 or so to have a good tech go over it and replace what is "iffy". FWIW.

How old? I don't think capacitors are made to last more than 30 years ... they may, but for how much longer?

I know the big capacitors in my flash packs last much longer when they are charged up monthly. Perhaps if you've been using it lightly for the time you've owned it they are in passable shape, but if you want to keep it I'd suggest spending the $200 or so to have a good tech go over it and replace what is "iffy". FWIW.
50 years old. It worked like a charm the last time I played it, but has been in storage since Mrs bought me the 4x10 MDT - I only had room for one amp in that space.

There's no way I'd play through an amp that didn't have proper grounding at this point.

A friend's sister was electrocuted and died from an amp that wasn't properly grounded.

Probably a good idea to make sure that doesn't happen to you.

There's no way I'd play through an amp that didn't have proper grounding at this point.

A friend's sister was electrocuted and died from an amp that wasn't properly grounded.

Probably a good idea to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
I did get a shock playing when a thunderstorm stopped by. I didn’t blame the amp though.

I do recall a story of Keith Richards playing in L.A. in the Sixties, and stepping up to the mic and getting shocked by the mic so hard he flew backwards. When he came to he heard one of the Emergency room physicians say to another that if Keith hadn't had rubber-soled shoes on (bought new that day) he would have died.

Who knew Chuck Taylors were so stylish AND could save your life.

Hey, sometimes reason and logic are just off-the-hook crazy.

Take quantum mechanics, f'instance. String theory. Multiverse theory. All that stuff that makes a sane person's eyes cross. Crazy stuff.

Yet, possibly true.

You just never know.

On the other hand, I reserve the right to be out of my freaking mind. Just sayin'.

Hey, sometimes reason and logic are just off-the-hook crazy.

Take quantum mechanics, f'instance. String theory. Multiverse theory. All that stuff that makes a sane person's eyes cross. Crazy stuff.

Yet, possibly true.

You just never know.

On the other hand, I reserve the right to be out of my freaking mind. Just sayin'.
Bah. String theory doesn't have any experimental support and multiverse theory is likely untestable, which basically reduces it to the realm of science fiction.

Neutral kaons are where there be monsters.

Back