Best strings for Angelus Se standard

dtray187

Hey guys, just bought one of these, people say the elixirs are best, I use this for pop music, in a recording context, miced up, and double tracked. Thanks!

Elixirs last a long time, but aren't the best sounding, at least with my US PRS acoustic that I use for the very same purpose (except not double tracked in most cases).

I've found that PRS' recommendation for its US models of the D'Addario Bluegrass set, light tops, medium bottoms, makes the guitar shine in front of a mic. They sell the set with the PRS brand, too.

I've tried both the coated and uncoated versions of this set, and for recording, the uncoated versions have the most sparkle and clarity, but both types sound very good recorded, so if you prefer coated strings that's how I'd roll.

Welcome! Since the US guitars and the SEs use very similar design principles, it's worth a try.

A few things about Elixirs...

The original Elixir strings were their "Polyweb" coated models. Basically the string is encased in a thin plastic tube that helps prevent the string from corroding. Because this tube can deaden the sound significantly, Elixir compensated for this by using 80/20 bronze, which is significantly brighter than the usual phosphor bronze that is more commonly used on acoustic guitars. Even so, many players don't care for the tone of these strings.

Elixir eventually improved upon their design and released their "Nanoweb" coated strings. This just means the plastic tube is much thinner, and impacts the tone much less than the Polyweb strings. Unlike the Polyweb, the Nanoweb strings are available in both 80/20 and phosphor bronze.

Personally, I love the phosphor bronze Nanoweb Elixirs. It's not that they last a long time -- if you play the guitar a lot, then you won't get significantly more life out of them than you would other strings. What they excel at is keeping the strings fresh when the guitar isn't being played. Sometimes I go for long stretches without really playing my acoustic, and the Elixirs do a good job of keeping the strings from dulling and corroding when the guitar is just sitting on its stand. I used to hate how I'd restring the guitar and then three weeks later the strings were disgusting, when I hadn't even touched it. Elixir Nanowebs solved that problem for me.

I normally use a light set, but Elixir just announced a new "HD Light" set that has the bottom three strings from a light set, the top two strings from a medium set, and a wound g string that's in between the two. They make a big deal about it supposedly evening out string tension. They're supposed to be released next month, and I will definitely try these out.

All that said... I find myself agreeing with LSchefman about an awful lot of things around here, so if he recommends the D'addario Bluegrass set, then I'll probably try those out as well.

I gave up on anything uncoated for my fingertips sake. I use Elixir Nanoweb 12's on my SE Standard, and the tone is beautiful...

LSchefman is pretty smart on this stuff though, so if he says something works, something prolly works.

I also prefer Elixirs because I dont have the $$$ to spend on Guitar strings at the drop of a hat. Like Sage says, the Elixirs do a great job of keeping things fresh when not in use.

Make sure you get Guitar Center's String Club though. already saved lots of moolah myself.

I have been useing Curt Mangan strings on all my PRS eleectric guitars for about a year now and love them. Iam going to try Curt Mangan 12-54 fusion matched phoshor bronze on my new Angelus Se standard. They stay in tune and last longer and sound alot better to me. I try and play everyday at least an hour. You can find them on the web at Curt Mangan.com and you can read the reviews your self to see what you thank about them.

Russ
PRS Custom 24, P-22, (2) studio's and Angelus Se standard

I have been useing Curt Mangan strings on all my PRS eleectric guitars for about a year now and love them. Iam going to try Curt Mangan 12-54 fusion matched phoshor bronze on my new Angelus Se standard. They stay in tune and last longer and sound alot better to me. I try and play everyday at least an hour. You can find them on the web at Curt Mangan.com and you can read the reviews your self to see what you thank about them.

Russ
PRS Custom 24, P-22, (2) studio's and Angelus Se standard

I'm all for any company caring enough about string-making to do a great job with them!

I too use Curt Mangan on my electrics, and recently tried their coated strings for acoustic (phosphor bronze), best evar!!! :)

On another note, I recently gave my mom my String Club card and said "Elixir 12's"

She came back with Phosphor Bronze instead of the 80/20's I normally use......The Phosphors DO really compliment the warmth in a way that the *0/20's never will, more bassy, great for chording.

THe Brightness IS hampered a bit, not much, but enough that Im probably going to get 80/20's next time.

On another note, I recently gave my mom my String Club card and said "Elixir 12's"

She came back with Phosphor Bronze instead of the 80/20's I normally use......The Phosphors DO really compliment the warmth in a way that the *0/20's never will, more bassy, great for chording.

THe Brightness IS hampered a bit, not much, but enough that Im probably going to get 80/20's next time.

Funny that you mention this; I was using the D'Addario coated 80/20s (that's what came on my PS Tonare Grand), but just put on a set of the PRS coated phosphor bronze that they sell in the PRS shop. Not sure which I like better; when you get used to something, change seems weird, but I'll play these a while and see how things shake out.

Definitely different, but have some nice overtones.

Update - these Phosphor Bronzes really do sound very nice. Still not sure which I prefer, though. It may be that I'll go back and forth, depending on how I want the guitar to sound recorded.

I have used Medium Gauge Acoustic strings all my strumming life circa 1980 and relied on either Martin or Dean Markley Strings. I just picked up this PRS Angelus SE Standard and have really gotten used to the different tone it has. Mine came with D'Addario EXP light gauge strings which I will use until they need to be changed. For a back up set of strings have ordered the D'Addario EXP Medium Gauge and expect them to give me a bit more volume. Not complaining about what I get out of the guitar currently but more volume couldn't hurt.

Figured I’d leave an updated post on here. Just threw on the D’Addario XT phosphor bronze 12-56 and they sound great. Great all around, and hopefully they’ll hold up for a while.

A few years ago I scored a great price on several sets of the PRS 80/20 sets on the PRS West St. site which I used for a long time on all my acoustics. Otherwise, I lean towards the D'Addario 80/20 XT 12s and 13s.

From time to time, I order multiple sets from various brands and explore the tonal differences. I've been doing that since around '02. In the end, while some sound great before they die (John Pearse 310NMs come to mind) the XTs last the longest, feel nice under the fingers, sound fantastic, and maintain a consistent tone when I do my 3 hr. marathon shows.

I first heard about the D'Addario strings when reading an article with Dave Matthew's guitar tech, who mentioned he used them because they liked the tone and since they record their shows, the tone didn't die throughout the performance.

Back