Best Sounding Rig In The History of YOUR World?

Gosh guys, don't try a vintage style PRS amp, you'll be forever spoiled! ;)

Actually, since you're all Mesa fans, I'll have to mention that in addition to PRS amps, I've been a Mesa player since the early 90s, when they came out with the Tremoverb. At one point I had 4 or 5 Mesas on hand for guitar, plus a Bass 400+ all tube bass amp. I had a Mark V a couple of years back, and really dug it; currently, in addition to the HXDA and DG30 from PRS, my two main recording amps, I have a Lone Star 100.

I was also a Two-Rock player for a long time, until I got into the PRS amps. I'm a real fan of the HXDA and DG30.

I appreciate low wattage amps, but especially with a Mesa, I like the headroom and power of the big iron.

Mesa fans take note:

One thing I added recently to the studio is something I was skeptical about - a Furman PF1800 PFR power conditioner. I finally got it because I simply needed to protect the amps just in case, because I moved them too far from my existing isolation transformer and power supply to be practical, but the draw for this thing is that in addition to the usual protection and filtering, it has a 45 Amp power reservoir. So I decided to try one out.

You'd think, well, no one really needs that and you'd never hear it. Wrong!

The amp it makes the biggest difference with? My 100 watt Lone Star. The PRS amps already sounded like what they are, hand wired boutique amps that have absurdly good tone. Though they, too, improved in headroom with this thing.

However, it took the Lone Star from what I thought was a 'very good-but-not-spectacular' amp (but one that had a lot of useful tones), to a great sounding amp that can compete with any of the hand wired boutique amps for a truly special sound. I think the amp was literally starved for power at the wall socket. This thing made a very audible difference. It was like taking a compressor off the amp.

Here's a shot of the rig as it stands today. The Furman unit is the black rackmount piece sitting on the desk in the background with the blue voltage light on (I have a rack for it, but I pulled a groin muscle moving the amps around the other day, and I am putting off racking it up until it heals). The way it's set up, I can switch between amps at my workstation area, with the cable snake going to the amps. Simple, easy, done!

Interesting about the Furman PF1800 PFR. I used to run a Mesa 2:100 that would dim the lights.

Certainly can't complain about my current gear, especially as i'm not gigging much at the moment. There are a few things that give me serious GAS; i'd love a Knaggs SS, and i'd really like to try the Friedman SS-100 and Bogner Helios. As for pedals, i think there will always be something new to grab my attention.

My favorite rig was a 76 Marshall JMP 50 watt non master volume lead head in to a sliver anniversary Marshall 4x12. Ran it through a Scholz Power Soak attenuator with the amp dimed. Can't describe how good it sounded and felt. Had a Charvel at the and that was a dream rig for me.

At this point I've been playing Dual Rectifiers since 2003. I've tried branching out at various points and while those other amps have sounded great I just can't get them to do the things a Recto does they way the Recto does it. My preferred style is a mix of 70s rock/metal, 90s grunge and 00s stoner rock/sludge metal. Around 2010 I switched to a Roadster and the amp just sort of fits what I do perfectly, and it has enough versatility that I can cover other styles as required. I actually do a lot of low-ish gain stuff with it and prefer it's clean/tweed modes to the Mark V.

The Mark V I had since they came out (used to use a Mark III). It was a great amp, but I felt it forced me to adapt my playing to it rather than it adapting to my playing. I recently sold it as part of this current gear purge. I was hesitant to sell it but now that it's gone I don't really miss it. Now I have GAS for the JP-2C, which I think would be a better fit for my taste.

To me, the Electra Dyne serves as sort of a low gain Rectifier. There's something comfortable in the feel and sound of the amp, but it doesn't have the chainsaw buzz of a Recto and has a more natural compression when the gain is turned up.

IMG_5319.jpg

That's a very nice rig, and explanation of why you have what you have! The Roadster is more or less the successor to the Tremoverb I started my Mesa thing with back in the early 90s. Great amp. And there's no doubt for the music you do, a Recto is where it's at. I don't have much experience with the Electra Dyne. Can you post a clip of how it sounds?

My favorite rig was a 76 Marshall JMP 50 watt non master volume lead head in to a sliver anniversary Marshall 4x12. Ran it through a Scholz Power Soak attenuator with the amp dimed. Can't describe how good it sounded and felt. Had a Charvel at the and that was a dream rig for me.

So...what are you using now, Wedge?

That's a very nice rig, and explanation of why you have what you have! The Roadster is more or less the successor to the Tremoverb I started my Mesa thing with back in the early 90s. Great amp. And there's no doubt for the music you do, a Recto is where it's at. I don't have much experience with the Electra Dyne. Can you post a clip of how it sounds?

I have one I recorded over Christmas. I'm not sure how good it'll serve as an example. This is the second song I've tried to record so it's really rough (and frankly a little embarrassing), but I learned a lot in the process. The rhythm amps are the Electra Dyne on the red channel with the gain 3/4 up, and I think I put the mic too close to the cap (brighter sounded better at the time). The lead is a filler that was DI'd and using one of the amps built into Logic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum Stuff/Supa Scuppa v10 Master.mp3

I have one I recorded over Christmas. I'm not sure how good it'll serve as an example. This is the second song I've tried to record so it's really rough (and frankly a little embarrassing), but I learned a lot in the process. The rhythm amps are the Electra Dyne on the red channel with the gain 3/4 up, and I think I put the mic too close to the cap (brighter sounded better at the time). The lead is a filler that was DI'd and using one of the amps built into Logic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum Stuff/Supa Scuppa v10 Master.mp3

You did a nice job with this, the amp sounds pretty darn good, and your playing seems very much on point stylistically!

So...what are you using now, Wedge?

Currently have a Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo that I just got, still trying to dial it in. Has the Marshall vibe but Mesa quality. I had a couple of PRS amp (Blistertone and 20 watt 2 channel Custom combo) but they didn't stick.

Best tone I have gotten since the Marshall was the Mesa Royal Atlantic but it was a HEAVY boat anchor. If they release a small version I would be so in line to get one.

You did a nice job with this, the amp sounds pretty darn good, and your playing seems very much on point stylistically!

Nah. I rushed through the project with a song I barely knew how to play and didn't have the feel for. Mistakes/decisions made early on caused problems further along in the process. The new drum track is already done with much better feel. Just waiting to lay down new bass and guitar. I learned a lot from that first go-around, now it's time to apply it and produce something better.

Last edited:
Lately it has been my Bogner 20th anniv Shiva on clean cranked with my DGT. I run a xotic EP booster (always on). It just produces this wonderfully organic tone. I still want to add a DG30. Right now it is the, like Les, the best i have had in my world

Currently have a Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo that I just got, still trying to dial it in. Has the Marshall vibe but Mesa quality. I had a couple of PRS amp (Blistertone and 20 watt 2 channel Custom combo) but they didn't stick.

Best tone I have gotten since the Marshall was the Mesa Royal Atlantic but it was a HEAVY boat anchor. If they release a small version I would be so in line to get one.

I got my son a Stiletto head not long after they came out. I thought it was a very nice amp! Way different from my HXDA in tone, though. Still, very nice indeed.

Nah. I rushed through the project with a song I barely knew how to play and didn't have the feel for. Mistakes/decisions made early on caused problems further along in the process. The new drum track is already done with much better feel. Just waiting to lay down new bass and guitar. I learned a lot from that first go-around, now it's time to apply it and produce something better.

You're like me - self-critical and perfectionistic! But honestly, you did good.

Lately it has been my Bogner 20th anniv Shiva on clean cranked with my DGT. I run a xotic EP booster (always on). It just produces this wonderfully organic tone. I still want to add a DG30. Right now it is the, like Les, the best i have had in my world

Seems like the EP and the Bogner clean would definitely be a good match; I liked the EP with my DG30, too. It's good to be happy!

And some really sweet guitars.
"Some"...interesting term for "lots".

After 25 years of a Boogie MkIII, I took a leap of faith after locating a used Super Dallas. Four years later, a butt-load of pedals and a couple sweet cabs later, I'm happier than I've ever been about my tone. It's so flexible, reliable and it delivers the esoteric and indescribable "mojo" that some people only read about. While an HXDA is on my horizon, my heart is still warmed by the Super Dallas. Still a damned fine instrument.

"Some"...interesting term for "lots".

After 25 years of a Boogie MkIII, I took a leap of faith after locating a used Super Dallas. Four years later, a butt-load of pedals and a couple sweet cabs later, I'm happier than I've ever been about my tone. It's so flexible, reliable and it delivers the esoteric and indescribable "mojo" that some people only read about. While an HXDA is on my horizon, my heart is still warmed by the Super Dallas. Still a damned fine instrument.
When you drag your own kit to Markie's, you must be pretty happy with it.

When you drag your own kit to Markie's, you must be pretty happy with it.
You'll also notice that the only guitar I've ever taken there was my SE One. Other than the custom beasts that Hans has taken, mine was the only - and possibly the first - SE in that famous basement. It was a slight contrast next to the Dragon Collection. ;)

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that basement.... (GC Ron showed me some from the last time he was there). "HOLY CRAP" comes to mind....

It looks like I'm gonna be a minority of one on this one. And Les, you'll probably hate on me...

Looking around my music room, there's Boogie Mark III, Rivera Knucklehead Reverb, THD Flexi 50, Zinky Blue Velvet, Vox Night Train, Budda SuperDrive II, Orange Tiny Terror, a couple of random minor Peavey combos... You get the picture. Now that I think about it, my newest amp is a PRS two-channel Custom20, which is a pretty awesome little beast. I was converted to tube amps in my first college band in the mid-80s when I plugged into my buddy's Rivera-era Fender Concert head. When he said "you play better through that amp" I had to admit he was right.. The first major purchase I made (and also my first loan) once I was pulling down a salary was that Mark III Boogie. Before I bought a car, before I bought a better guitar, I bought the best tube amp I could lay my hands on.

So.

Twenty seven-odd years on when I toddle up to the music room to make some noise, what do I plug into..?

An Axe-FX II into a pair of Friedman ASM-12s. With the right high-quality Impulse Response (IR) settings for the speaker emulation and high-powered quality monitors (see Friedman) that rig is pure f!?king sonic bliss.

You see, tube amps are crude beasts, and there's sweet spots in their volume/tone/master settings that are entirely freakin' separated from whether their SPL level is right for your gig/bedroom/neighborhood/recording session. They are glorious if you have complete freedom to be as loud as you want. But honestly the times I've heard them sound their best are when the drummer, bass player, and singer have gone home and the other guitar player is standing there with his fingers in his ears and a s?!t-eating grin on his face yelling, "YEAH!! That sounds GREAT!!!!"

So if you have the luxury of running at whatever volume you please, yeah, tube amps are fantastic. More often than not though, when they're running at the volume where they sound great, they're BELLOWING AT ME BECAUSE OMG I'M A GUITAR AMP AND THAT'S WHAT I DO! The great thing about a really great modeler is that you can dial it in to the sweet spot tomake it sound glorious and then set the volume entirely independently to suit your needs. The flexibility of having 200-odd "amps" in the same box is honestly secondary (but nice!) in my mind. And Line6, in my experience does a merely good, not great modeler. The Axe II is great. Caveat: I haven't tried a Kemper and I'm a happy enough camper I don't feel the need to.

I'm a pretty simple guy. Guitar, guitar cable, amp. I think I do own a distortion pedal somewhere. Been years since I've used it. Now which guitar and which amp changes with the, music or mood I'm in, but the rig is still pretty simple. Right now (well right now I'm setting in my hotel room in Dezhou China, but before I left, and when I get back, I'll play a Cu24 through the 2 channel H.

Twenty seven-odd years on when I toddle up to the music room to make some noise, what do I plug into..?

An Axe-FX II into a pair of Friedman ASM-12s. With the right high-quality Impulse Response (IR) settings for the speaker emulation and high-powered quality monitors (see Friedman) that rig is pure f!?king sonic bliss.

You see, tube amps are crude beasts, and there's sweet spots in their volume/tone/master settings that are entirely freakin' separated from whether their SPL level is right for your gig/bedroom/neighborhood/recording session. They are glorious if you have complete freedom to be as loud as you want. But honestly the times I've heard them sound their best are when the drummer, bass player, and singer have gone home and the other guitar player is standing there with his fingers in his ears and a s?!t-eating grin on his face yelling, "YEAH!! That sounds GREAT!!!!"

So if you have the luxury of running at whatever volume you please, yeah, tube amps are fantastic.

I don't hate this at all! You're happy! I want my friends to be happy! But we're getting a little off-topic.

Yes, tube amps are crude beasts, that of course is their unending charm. A guitar is also a crude instrument compared to a piano. Seriously. Look inside a good piano. There's a ton of stuff in there. And a piano is crude compared to a synthesizer.

But a synth has a hard time replicating what a good piano can do, and a piano doesn't do what a guitar does. So I'm not sure that being a crude beast matters.

I've tried the Axe FX II and I have very fine studio monitors. There's a reason I don't own an Axe FX II, or whatever new and improved model they come out with next week that they'll claim sounds even closer to a real tube amp!

Still.

I'm talking about the wattage of the tube amps, and the differences in how they sound, not about whether a modeler is a good choice. But you bring up a good point about the "sweet spot" of guitar amps.

I have three guitar amps with what I think are pretty wide sweet spots. My HXDA 50 had perhaps the widest sweet spot on its master volume of any amp I've owned, followed by the DG30. My HXDA 30 has a wide sweet spot on the master as long as you are familiar with the gain controls and what sounds best at a given volume. While I like to run mine at high volumes, I can get a perfectly enjoyable tone at a volume I can talk over.

I can put my Lone Star 100 Watt's master at a level that I can talk over and get an acceptable clean-to-edge-of-grit tone with the amp set at 100 Watts.

If I have to go even quieter, I have a Mesa Cab Clone that works with headphones.

I've had amps that had very narrow sweet spots, where you truly HAD to crank them up. So it depends on the amp.

On the guitar side, there are some good things to choose between. The stable mate of 'Hammer of the Gods" comes to mind. The PS DGT with perny neck too. But when I have to have THE guitar that always KNOWS the sound I need, it is a Huber Dolphin II....Longer scale, ebony board. There is also a Huber Redwood (chambered with BRW neck and board) that is, arguably, sweeter sounding. But I keep going back to the Dolphin.

My "go to" amp has been a different variation of Mesa for a long while......The long out of print Blue Angel. Quite unlike most every other Mesa....Sweetness of a small Fender, bite of a small Brit, excellent when using both power sections at once (6v6 and EL84). Admittedly not a lot of "clean headroom". I can generally do everything I need, from sweet and clean(ish) to bluesy to Gary Moore (Les Paul into Marshall) with nothing more but an Ethos OD upfront....Described by many as a Dumble in a box (YMMV).....Gives me FOUR footswitchable tones when set right. And setting it right, with something like 19 controls, is the deciding factor. Every version is good, but I like the 4 x 10 best.

Now and then, I will throw a pedal into the mix.....A touch of "rotary". tape echo, Uni-Vibe, etc. But I can generally do just fine without.

Current complication.....I got a trade I could not decline. Traded a limited edition Hamer guitar for a Fuchs ODS, running a pair of 6L6s.....Another obvious "D-type". It has a depth that bests the Mesa/Ethos, even if I have yet to fully dial it in. I have yet to find a speaker combination it does not like......A Thiele with EVM-12L. An oversized Mesa 3/4 back with single MC-90 (which is apparently quite similar to a Celestion CL-80). The Mesa 4 x 10 with Jensens. And possibly the best being a Fuchs/Feiten SMALLish 2 x 12 closed back (somewhat unique) with mixed Brit speakers. Also played it through an old (and monstrous) Fender cab with 2 15" JBLs----That is a whole other animal!

(For a smaller portable rig, the Swart AST is real hard to beat, esp with that lush trem, but it does not give me the "full range" of tone options I want live).

Back