Best Shipment Carrier Services?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Had recently incurred an issue with one of my guitar FX that originated from Barcelona, Spain. The effect required repair, and the internal config prevented local repair. The effect was shipped this noontime.

Upon checking shipping prices, USPS seemed the least expensive service ($51 compared to FedEx's $110). This was for a small 8"x5"x4", 1.1 pound cardboard box.

I had thought to use USPS' Priority Mail large envelopes, but had none at home. It would have been necessary to fill out the required paperwork at the Post Office prior to shipping. It took the better part of 1-½ hours to finally print the shipping labels and had to switch carriers prior to printing because of the cost. As it was, the package required 3 separate customs lading and shipment labels.

Experienced sticker shock with the $51 shipping fee, for the tiny package!

Are there less expensive shipment carrier services than USPS? Am on the east coast US, if that is of any help...

If I'm shipping International, I have always used USPS. I have only shipped to the UK, and only had one small form to fill out. I was a little surprised by the cost though. Much cheaper than the alternative, though.

If I'm shipping International, I have always used USPS. I have only shipped to the UK, and only had one small form to fill out. I was a little surprised by the cost though. Much cheaper than the alternative, though.

Concur. This is the first time I've ever need ship international to Europe, and when FedEx quoted $110 shipping, I nearly fell over in disbelief.

USPS has fewer forms to fill out, and the exceptions regards customs are easier to understand and choose from. FedEx, OTOH kept rejecting my 'ship' request when they kept asking to correct the red ink I'd previously filled out. 1-½ hours of time...

Eventually, I realized that in order to get the package to its destination correctly, I'd need my own packaging (more money) and the correct lading and shipment labels, all of which USPS' website generates once shipping is purchased.

At any rate, the effect is now in USPS' care and hopefully by the end of the month the package will arrive home again, repaired. The builder was gracious enough to cover return shipping costs at no extra charge to my now sadder but wiser "flying moth depleted wallet."

USPS here too.

For domestic shipments to the CONUS, do you folks find that USPS Priority costs less than FedEx or UPS? (I've not made price comparisons myself when selling items on eBay, but would like your insights regards this as well...have used FedEx most often with domestic shipments...)

You can use their free flat rate boxes.

I've got some 7-¼"x7-¼"x6" Priority Mail boxes, but nowhere on the USPS website does it list this size when using my USPS account. Larger or flatter carton, or envelope, is usually what displays.

Will try to order some appropriate-sized Priority Mail cartons from USPS and see if this might work better when selecting Priority Mail as the service offered...

I use the USPS flat rate boxes when selling smaller items on E-bay, guitars I usually send UPS.

Back