Best replacement locking tuners for SE Custom 24?

DanielKennethRego

I have a 2013 SE Custom 24 that I'm looking to give some upgrades to this month, and the first thing I want to do is install locking tuners.

The Schaller M6 seems to be a popular recommendation, but I've also read some opinions about dropping quality.

What are the other options that do a better job than the Schaller M6? Anything from Hipshot or Gotoh?

I favored the Grover 406 on mine. I have used the Schallers on another guitar and they are fine, but HEAVY. The Schallers got replaced with Hipshot, which I like very much. I'm just not crazy about how they line up with the UMP on a PRS headstock.

I might be inclined to go the John Mann route since he's a solid guy who does solid work and the SE tuners are pretty solid for non-locking keys.

Schaller make top-lockers now. I prefer the schallers jsut because they are well machined. Not my favorite in terms of looks, but nice and heavy.

For some reason, email notifications didn't work and I had no idea these replies had come in.

I've been looking at the Grover 406, Schaller M6, and the MannMade SE-converted-to-Phase II options so far, and while they all look competitive, are there any opinions about how they compare with each other?

Grover 406 - most like the original winged PRS tuners in function; auto cam locking, which could be a pain to line up for a quick change in the dark at a gig; usually tool free, but sometimes need a coin to turn the post to release the B and high E; presumably, like the old winged tuners, the cams could start to wear out after years of use; light

Schaller - easy to use, tool-free locking method; heavy, which is contrary to the PRS move to low-mass and can change the balance and tone of the instrument.

Mann/SE Phase II - most in line with PRS design; easy to use, can probably go without tools, but a coin is recommended; minimal weight penalty

Hipshot - you didn't ask, but probably best of all worlds functionally; easy to use tool-free locking; very light; UMP mounting changes angle of the tuners, which you may or may not care about.

Back