Best replacement locking tuners for SE Custom 24?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by DanielKennethRego, Nov 8, 2016.

1. DanielKennethRego

DanielKennethRego New Member

I have a 2013 SE Custom 24 that I'm looking to give some upgrades to this month, and the first thing I want to do is install locking tuners.

The Schaller M6 seems to be a popular recommendation, but I've also read some opinions about dropping quality.

What are the other options that do a better job than the Schaller M6? Anything from Hipshot or Gotoh?

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

3. toothace

toothace We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers.

4. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I favored the Grover 406 on mine. I have used the Schallers on another guitar and they are fine, but HEAVY. The Schallers got replaced with Hipshot, which I like very much. I'm just not crazy about how they line up with the UMP on a PRS headstock.

I might be inclined to go the John Mann route since he's a solid guy who does solid work and the SE tuners are pretty solid for non-locking keys.

5. SteveK

SteveK New Member

6. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Grover 406 are a direct replacement

7. GoBeavs68

GoBeavs68 New Member

Schaller make top-lockers now. I prefer the schallers jsut because they are well machined. Not my favorite in terms of looks, but nice and heavy.

8. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I`m a Hipshot locking open back guy, with U.M.P. Plates. No neck dive.

9. DanielKennethRego

DanielKennethRego New Member

For some reason, email notifications didn't work and I had no idea these replies had come in.

I've been looking at the Grover 406, Schaller M6, and the MannMade SE-converted-to-Phase II options so far, and while they all look competitive, are there any opinions about how they compare with each other?

10. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Grover 406 - most like the original winged PRS tuners in function; auto cam locking, which could be a pain to line up for a quick change in the dark at a gig; usually tool free, but sometimes need a coin to turn the post to release the B and high E; presumably, like the old winged tuners, the cams could start to wear out after years of use; light

Schaller - easy to use, tool-free locking method; heavy, which is contrary to the PRS move to low-mass and can change the balance and tone of the instrument.

Mann/SE Phase II - most in line with PRS design; easy to use, can probably go without tools, but a coin is recommended; minimal weight penalty

Hipshot - you didn't ask, but probably best of all worlds functionally; easy to use tool-free locking; very light; UMP mounting changes angle of the tuners, which you may or may not care about.