Best quality combo for beginners?

Mesa Mk then you are done for amps for life.

Good call.

I don't think there's such a thing as a 'beginner amp'. There are amps that can be used by anyone. some are great, some not-so-great, some are absolute junk.

Don't buy junk.

My first amp was a 1966 Ampeg Reverberocket II. 30 Watts of 7591 power tube amp, 1x12 Jensen speaker. It was new. I'm, uhm, not new any more. ;)

It was a good first amp, took me through lots of gigs once I got going.

Last edited:
I went from a Peavey solid state Twin that just didn’t float my boat to a little Mesa Studio 22, that I’ve had for 25 years.

It’s more amp than I’ll ever need and with advice from some forum members, I’m dialling in better tones than I ever have. Where were you all in the mid ‘90s??

Les is totally right, sometimes too many buttons and settings can be confusing. Tube technology is pretty bullet proof and as soon as they’re warm, you’re good to go. And boy do they go!!:D

Thank you so much for all your replies, you guys.

I was persuaded to pay a little more for a tube amp by the folks who sold me my guitar and having done some test comparisons, I think that they're right.

I was initially set on a Blues Junior like the rest of the world, but was tempted into a something a little different - the new Supro Delta King 12 from my guys at Andertons: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...pro-delta-king-12-15-watt-1x12-w-reverb-combo

It sounds amazing and I love the styling. Will post pictures when it shows up.

I was persuaded to pay a little more for a tube amp by the folks who sold me my guitar and having done some test comparisons, I think that they're right.

I was initially set on a Blues Junior like the rest of the world, but was tempted into a something a little different - the new Supro Delta King 12 from my guys at Andertons: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...pro-delta-king-12-15-watt-1x12-w-reverb-combo

Good call!

The Supro amps are pretty darn sweet.

Excellent choice!
I have a Blues King 12 and a Comet.
I also had a Thunderbolt + (Excellent pedal platform)
but I sold it because I will probably never play that loud again.

as others have said: avoid the Marshall Code. I had one. Absolute garbage. 95% of them preset tones were garbage.
I'm actually quite happy with a different modeling amp: Fender Tone Masters Deluxe Reverb. No tubes to worry about and crazy light in weight. Instead of trying to mimic many different amps it only models the 1 amp that is extremely well known with the ability to go from 25 watts to 0.2 watts. Got great reviews. Anderton's did a review of them as well if you wish to see their review and hear it.

Depending on your budget, I'd say be on the look out for a tube amp of some sort. I just picked up a Vox AC4112 to use at home and have been really happy with it, especially after changing the 12AX7 tubes to 12AT7 tubes for better clean headroom, it's a pretty stripped down amp (single channel, no FX loop, no reverb), but it sounds fantastic. Something else that you could look at is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Jr. Of the amps that you listed, The Boss Katana II is a great amp that will serve you well. I can say from experience that Blackstar makes great sounding amps, they have a nice clean tone and a pretty versatile drive tone that goes from a nice crunch right up to a heavily saturated distortion. I also really like Orange Amps, they have a great clean tone and a I really like the gutsy midrange that their drive channel has. Mesa is also a great option, but they tend to lean more toward having wide ranging, versatile drive sounds. I've never been really floored by their clean sounds without adding some effects into the mix.

Congratulations on the new amp!

Another good choice would have been the new Quilter Aviator Cub. It’s a solid state 50w 1-12 combo. Very light & compact, excellent control of volume, will get louder than let’s say a Deluxe Reverb.

While it does not quite have the sonic complexity of my Redplate amps it is still quite good on absolute terms.

Certainly worth checking out!

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/aviator-cub

I own a Katana 50 MKII. The Katana is a great amp for your tone searching. Right off the panel you can dial some killer tones, especially with the MKII and its variation buttons. The real rabbit hole is the boss tone studio. I must say that as good as this amp sounds, it’s not for everyone. You’ll spend a lot of time tweaking and checking out patches. I recommend the 100 because you can have more presets, an effects loop (you can add your own chain of modulation pedals), support for GAFC which is a katana multi foot switch, and you can store more presets. The difference is about $120 more than the 50 and worth it.

Sweet! I was going to suggest something simple like a Mesa Road King II, but you did alright!

Am scanning reviews for what may be the best starter amp for my new Core Custom 24.

In terms of what I can actually find here in Dubai, there are 4 x main options that seem to float to the top of most reviews:

1. Boss Katana 50 MKII
2. Fender Mustang LT50
3. Marshall Code 50
4. I can also get a good price on a PRS SE 20 (SE20C-B).

My local dealer also stocks Orange, Mesa Boogie and Blackstar but I know absolutely nothing about these. Everyone seems to love the Boss and the Fender. Some people seem to absolutely hate the Marshall.

Clean tone is key for me, I won't be cranking it up and I would like some presets which give me a chance at a nice blues tone. That's it, really.

What do you guys think of these options? If they all suck, what should I be buying?

Does living in Dubai mean that you can not just order anything you want from Anderton's in the UK? Something like a Sonzera?

Congratulations on the Supro!

I know I'm late to suggest. But, I would say it is exciting times with modelers! There are lots of nice options nowadays! I would have suggested a modeler of your choice + an FRFR cab. In my case, I settled for the Headrush Gigboard + 2 FRFR108 cabs and the rig sounds AWESOME! It gives me all the amp and cab sounds I want plus more. Also comes with tons of effects options in stereo. It also has a looper and an interface for digital recording. All of these perks for probably the price of a tube amp and weighs less too.

See you around!

Does living in Dubai mean that you can not just order anything you want from Anderton's in the UK? Something like a Sonzera?
Yes, it pretty much does and I am lucky in that respect.

The availability of stuff here depends on how active the local authorized dealers are. Thomsun (AD for Yamaha and Fender) are very good for guitars and accessories but they struggle to get a good range of amps in. Sadek is the AD for Gibson, Taylor, Martin and Marshall, they constantly get new stuff in and they are the accessory guys for things like my Ernie Ball leads and my polyphonic clip tuner.

But the point is that the Andertons guys got my Supro to me in 3 days and it arrived in perfect shape. You don't pay VAT but you do pay the local equivalent plus delivery. Worth it to know exactly what you're getting. Amazing times we live in.

Back