Best quality combo for beginners?

James G

Am scanning reviews for what may be the best starter amp for my new Core Custom 24.

In terms of what I can actually find here in Dubai, there are 4 x main options that seem to float to the top of most reviews:

1. Boss Katana 50 MKII
2. Fender Mustang LT50
3. Marshall Code 50
4. I can also get a good price on a PRS SE 20 (SE20C-B).

My local dealer also stocks Orange, Mesa Boogie and Blackstar but I know absolutely nothing about these. Everyone seems to love the Boss and the Fender. Some people seem to absolutely hate the Marshall.

Clean tone is key for me, I won't be cranking it up and I would like some presets which give me a chance at a nice blues tone. That's it, really.

What do you guys think of these options? If they all suck, what should I be buying?

One of the Fender Blackface amps will get you the clean tone you are looking for. Deluxe Reverb, Super reverb etc. Maybe Carr Rambler.
Very nice amp.
Do a little YouTube searching for clean tone amp Demos.
Remember you aren't always going to be a beginner. If you buy an amp that you like you will always enjoy it.

James,

If it were me, I'd choose an amp that has good headroom (Read: Has a gain and master volume so you can dial in a good clean tone at lower volumes). A used Fender Blue Deluxe 40W 1x12 combo was my main amp for several years until I downsized to my current amp modeler.

A good clean platform will be important for using any effects you may wish to put in front of the amp.

Be aware that your power tube complement will play a large role in what you prefer. 6L6s will be warmer with more balanced response. 6V6s with be similar with lower headroom, slightly brighter.

Used Blues Deluxes can be found for ~$400-500, perhaps less than this. Try to find one in good condition that has been modded with a new speaker or non-stock 6L6 tubes.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/search?typeAheadSuggestion=true&typeAheadRedirect=true&fromRecentHistory=false&Ntt=Fender+Blues+Deluxe+Amp#pageName=search&Ntt=Fender Blues Deluxe Amp&N=0+1086&Nao=0&recsPerPage=30&postalCode=06081&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Hot-Rod-Deluxe-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-116748772.gc

Recall that a hybrid amp which sports amp modeling will say 50W but often provides more than you might need with added effects, drive channels, cabs, etc. OK for practice and small gigs. Remember that what you're paying for is the electronics, not so much tubes.

As many have said on this forum and others, tubes have been the industry standard for some time now, and they have certain appeal that hybrid amp modelers are only beginning to compare with.

Last edited:
The blackstar ht40 mkii is a great amp! Loaded with features and sounds killer. Its my perfect amp.

I would go with the Katana out of the choices you have listed.
Keep in mind that I am not you. What you like is what's important.
Take your guitar and your ears and buy the amplifier that sounds best to you.
I would also however steer clear of the Marshall Code because every time
I visit my amp repair person he has 3 or 4 of them sitting there.

I have a Orange Micro Terror 20Watt hybrid with an Orange 1x8 Speaker, that has real nice range from clean to really dirty gritty grungy. It is plenty loud when i want it to be but can be turned down to bedroom levels, or even headphones. Very small but very powerful.

Katana, all day every day. It's what I play all my PRS thru (SE, S2, CE, Core).

Lots of headroom, takes pedals well.

Bear in mind that spending a little more for the Kat 100 gets you an effects loop, double the presets, and support for the great GA-FC foot switch.

Am scanning reviews for what may be the best starter amp for my new Core Custom 24.

In terms of what I can actually find here in Dubai, there are 4 x main options that seem to float to the top of most reviews:

1. Boss Katana 50 MKII
2. Fender Mustang LT50
3. Marshall Code 50
4. I can also get a good price on a PRS SE 20 (SE20C-B).

My local dealer also stocks Orange, Mesa Boogie and Blackstar but I know absolutely nothing about these. Everyone seems to love the Boss and the Fender. Some people seem to absolutely hate the Marshall.

Clean tone is key for me, I won't be cranking it up and I would like some presets which give me a chance at a nice blues tone. That's it, really.

What do you guys think of these options? If they all suck, what should I be buying?

The Boss Katana is excellent, easy to use, easy to make great sounds, easy to save up to 4 presets, and can hook up to a computer to swap just about any of 50 or so Boss effects. I used mine in a 4 piece band, and it is more than loud enough to keep up with everyone else (amp set to 25 watt mode).

Last edited:
I gotta admit the Katana is an excellent Amp. Very versatile as has been said. I have the Kt100 and even al minimum wattage setting, it will rock the house. If you can get your hands on a Roland Cube 30X, that was my starter amp, and the predecessor to the Katana. It has everything built in and is solid as a brick in terms of construction.

The Katana is a great amp and will give you access to a lot of different options tones to explore. Tube amps are great but also kind of a PITA, especially for beginners.

I'd really recommend the Katana 100 mkii. Not much more expensive, gives you way more though. If for nothing else than the looper pedal option. Won't need to upgrade for a long time and can still play at comfortable bedroom levels and enjoy TONS of sounds.

I wonder how the used market is in Dubai? Could be some interesting stuff. Post up what’s on Craigs list and let us sort through it for you! :D

Back