Best PRS Humbucker Match for a P-90

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
My go-to gigging guitar is my stock SE One. The tone, touch sensitivity, and output punch of the P-90 works perfectly with my rig and playing style. And despite attempts to get the same mojo with my Cu24, it's just not there. I'd like to find a pup for the Cu24 that is similar in output to the P-90 without losing the humbucker character. Something that breaks up nicely, has a chimey top-end, controllable bottom and touch sensitive. And no, I don't want it to sound the same as the P-90 (otherwise, I'd just install a P-90 :)).

The stock HFS/VBs were way too bright and powerful so I switched to 57/08s. PIO cap was the only other modification. It sounds fantastic in its own right, and if I were looking for a guitar with it's own sound, this is it! But its bite doesn't mesh with the One. Are the 59/09s a better match? DC resistance isn't always the best comparison, but is the 59/09 that much more powerful than the 57/08 to be considered a solution?

I don't want to revoice my amp or pedals to compensate for the difference in guitars. Does anyone switch between these two guitars? If so, what pups do you have in the Cu24?

FYI, I currently play in a classic rock gig with an old Boogie amp.

Try the Starla pups....I also would recommend 53/10's. The Starla's will clean up better, but they have a very similar crunch....

If you're set on having PRS pickups, probably what they said. If you're willing to try other brands, try a Fralin P-92 with 8000-8500 turns.

EDIT: You want to maintain the humbucker character... maybe a P-92 isn't the best thing then. But it is a great pickup and has two humbucking coils. You'll have a different animal regardless, just from the major design/construction differences between the CU24 and the SE One, no pickup can really bridge a gap like that to make them sound "the same".

Last edited:
Great suggestions guys. To clarify, I don't really want to bridge the gap and bring the same character and exact tone of the P-90 to the Cu24, but to match relative output/power and maybe the "crisp" crunch. Regardless of what I do, the 57/08 neck may stay. Depends on the acquisition cost of the replacement pup.

Looking at the Fralin P-92 right now. ;)

Great suggestions guys. To clarify, I don't really want to bridge the gap and bring the same character and exact tone of the P-90 to the Cu24, but to match relative output/power and maybe the "crisp" crunch. Regardless of what I do, the 57/08 neck may stay. Depends on the acquisition cost of the replacement pup.

Looking at the Fralin P-92 right now. ;)

I still say 5310's or Starla....

If you ask me the bite you are missing comes from the brassblock used in the PRS tremolo system.I have evaulated alot of tremolosystems the past year,blocks and saddles.Im convinced steelblocks are the best for tremolos.Gives you a very balanced sound with tight low-end.crisp and punchy highs and a focused and singing midrange.To me the brassblock gives you mellow highs and i guess thats why so many wants to change the pickups.
Stevie at Halkans in Stockholm once asked me when i traded a SG with new pickups installed...Why did you change the pickups?Did it really change anything?...my answer was..eerrr,no! :)

Last edited:
I still say 5310's or Starla....
I'm searching for accurate specs on both the 53/10s and Starlas but am coming up short. My unofficial spec charts predate both of those models.

You know I'm listening to you...;)

What do you want to know bro? Shawn should be able to get those to you....

Oh and the "official specs" are THEY FREAKING ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Back