Best PRS for Nickelback-type sound

Any person or group that can have as many hits as Nickelback has are OK in my book.

Any person or group that can have as many hits as Nickelback has are OK in my book.

Nickelback suffers what what Creed and Limp Bizkit dealt with; they were a band that everyone loved until they got blessed enough that they got so much play and were everywhere that people decided the dumbest, most ignorant friggin thing - That because they got sick of hearing the band that they now suck.

What's truly incredible actually is that this generally ends up happening to a band during their most successful album. All The Right Reasons was 7X platinum and the band was selling out stadiums. Obviously a lot of people liked them.

Nickelback suffers what what Creed and Limp Bizkit dealt with; they were a band that everyone loved until they got blessed enough that they got so much play and were everywhere that people decided the dumbest, most ignorant friggin thing - That because they got sick of hearing the band that they now suck.

What's truly incredible actually is that this generally ends up happening to a band during their most successful album. All The Right Reasons was 7X platinum and the band was selling out stadiums. Obviously a lot of people liked them.

I agree with much of the previously stated. (Limp Bizkit actually does suck. hahaha) I've seen Nickelback at least three times, thanks largely to a friend of mine who demanded we accompany her to the shows, and there are a LOT of their songs that I REALLY like. But these days they also have a lot of songs that I don't like. The "Live at Home" Nickelback DVD is still my favorite show they've ever done. I blame Elton John for their eventual rise into ultra-super stardom. hahahaha

Surprised at the recommendations for a Custom / McCarty type guitar, because I was thinking the sound is pretty chunky. Maybe it's just the beef of a triple recto? I'd start with a Singlecut of some type. Not sure about the pickups, though.

Granted, I haven't listened to them outside of the radio very much (not the ideal listening experience in the car). I liked their early CD "The State", but yeah they've been overplayed and it's hard to not get "UGGHHHH" type comments in a thread about them. I'm glad to see there still is some restraint on the internet.

dave_grohl_nickelback.jpg

I enjoy both Foo Fighters and Nickelback, but this is just classic!

QUOTE=Howlingmine;159581]
dave_grohl_nickelback.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of bands would love to suffer from what Niclenack has.
Grohl better be careful with how much exposure he is enjoying.

I think a lot of bands would love to suffer from what Niclenack has.
Grohl better be careful with how much exposure he is enjoying.

I would love to have my own recording studio in my own residence. Both Chad and Dave have that going on. Must be nice.

I would love to have my own recording studio in my own residence. Both Chad and Dave have that going on. Must be nice.

And a regulation ice hockey rink with zamboni too!
Seriously, anytime a 'musician' talks about how much Nickelback sucks and no one likes them I'm like, really now. Where's your Gold, Platinum, and Diamond selling awards? When was the last time you sold out an arena. yea, thought so. I'll admit I haven't really dug much of what they have done since the Dark Horse album, but for from 2001-2008 they pretty much became a blueprint for popular hard rock and that was done with a PRS through Mesa setup. They wrote and recorded all of their own music, not studio musicians. They have a lot to be proud of.

Supposedly that was a fake Dave Grohl Twitter account.
But...
Or, keeping it real, how about this gem from the Black Keys’ Patrick Carney in Rolling Stone magazine: “Rock ’n’ roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world. Rock ’n’ roll is the music I feel most passionately about and I don’t like to see it f---ing ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous s—t. When people start lumping us into that kind of s—t, it’s like f—k you, honestly.”

Gee Mr. Carney, I thought they were just a pretty good pop band and I didn't have a clue to the NB boys heinous plans to destroy rock.
I've heard the same things about Kiss, The Ramones and a lot of other bands now including The Beatles.

http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1906602,00.html

Supposedly that was a fake Dave Grohl Twitter account.
But...

Gee Mr. Carney, I thought they were just a pretty good pop band and I didn't have a clue to the NB boys heinous plans to destroy rock.
I've heard the same things about Kiss, The Ramones and a lot of other bands now including The Beatles.

http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1906602,00.html

If I ever met that drummer from the Black Keys he would seriously have hell to pay. There's another interview he did where he says something about how people who listen to bands like Nickelback and any mainstream rock bands are just the idiotic, knuckle dragging unwashed masses he doesn't want at his shows. I think this guy doesn't realize how lucky he is to be a part of a band, if you want to call them that, that gets to headline the same arena's that Nickelback plays in.

I always think it's crazy when artists diss other artists.

There isn't an artist or band that is universally loved. They all get their share of hate. I have no idea why some feel they have to dish it out as well.

Oh wait a second...I've said bad stuff about Kiss. Geez, I'm as bad as anyone else.

Probably one of the few guys who can get away with a hysterical post like this. That said I've seen Nickelback live with Staind and Daughtry and all three put on a great show. I'm not a jazz fan but far be it from to wail on someone who likes Mile Davis. Music is art and art is very subjective.

This is still an awesome post, love Foo Fighters btw.

Timely because we decided that we'd do a Nickelback song recently (how you remind me) against all of our collective better judgment just because we needed to add a few thicker songs for some of the places we play. There is nothing hard to play in that song at all, but surprisingly, it required a level of tightness amongst all of us to sound good.....way beyond what I'd have expected. Also surprisingly, it's extremely well received in the local club scene around these parts...

Also surprisingly, it's extremely well received in the local club scene around these parts...

May I be the first to ask why you're playing clubs...in Hell?

:evil:

I'm kidding, of course.

Last edited:
Back