Best PRS for Nickelback-type sound

zurdyo

Hey all,
I've been wanting to add a PRS to my guitar collection and am missing a dual humbucker model to couple with a Triple Rectifier type amp and obtain a big, roaring distorted sound. The best example for what I have in mind is this song from Nickelback:

http://youtu.be/lw3XfnV3AqU

I am aware that there is loads of post production involved to obtain that final result, but I'm wondering what PRS models could help me achieve it.

Thanks for any input you might provide! :)

Z

Chads original tone comes from his Mcarty through a rectifier if I'm not mistaken. On the later albums I think he switched to a SC250 before jumping on the Gibsontrain to Flattonetown.

Wow, Chad switched to Gibsons? I guess his guys can enjoy breaks between songs while he retunes.

2013 SC245=closest PRS to GIbson Les Paul=Nickleback sound

You're welcome :shakehands:

Thanks fellas!

I reckon the characteristic sound is due to the 57/08?

Are there any other PRS models mounting these pickups?

I reckon most any guitar with a pair of humbuckers through a Triple Rec will get you darn close. Singlecut, McCarty, Custom 22 should serve well.

I reckon most any guitar with a pair of humbuckers through a Triple Rec will get you darn close.

Ha, yea good point, I agree!

Being new to PRS, after the first replies I started watching some videos and listening to some sound clips from the SC245 and was pretty much blown away by the quality and versatility in sounds, both clean and distorted, since it also has the possibility to split the humbuckers.

Whilst I initially thought I was going for nothing more than a possibly better built Les Paul, I'm starting to realize that there is so much more to it and so many more possibilities open up with this kind of instrument...

Singlecut, McCarty, Custom 22 should serve well.

Do you mean that all these PRS models mount 57/08's or that through a Triple Rectifier they'll basically deliver a similar sound?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Similar sound. 57/08 are great sounding pickups, but not really necessary for the sound you're talking about. Chad's McCarty and Singlecut wouldn't have had them.

I'd probably say a Tremonti model would likely be a good suspect in this case.

A little known fact, the All The Right Reasons album features no actual guitar amps. It's all TDM Plug-ins. Chad shocked A LOT of people when he divulged that information.
He started implementing singlecuts starting with the recording of The Long Road album and used them live halfway through touring Silver Side Up.
He got a pretty massive sound on ATRR album and tour.

The older and angrier version of Nickelback (to me) sounded a lot more like the older PRS Dragon/HFS era of pickups. Since then, it seems to me that the sound of both Nickelback and PRS guitars has evolved over time. I like the older and angrier version of Nickelback but I like the newer sound of PRS guitars, ie my xx/08 xx/09 pickups. (I'm not much of a fan of the newer Nickelback offerings.)

Both Chad and Ryan have always played Gibson products (Ryan more than Chad it seems to me). I think I even saw a black Epiphone Les Paul in one of their really early videos. But in typical Gibson marketing machine fashion, Chad got a Gibson signature model Les Paul for about 10 minutes while old Nickelback fans know that he usually played a PRS and wrote off the whole thing as marketing BS. Same thing with Metallica. Long time Metallica fans know that they have always used ESP guitars for the most part, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere, they are playing Gibsons in one of their music videos from Death Magnetic. Just marketing BS. I think of Chad as a PRS guitar player, regardless of the whole Gibby thing.

All comments are IMHO, YMMV.

The older and angrier version of Nickelback (to me) sounded a lot more like the older PRS Dragon/HFS era of pickups. Since then, it seems to me that the sound of both Nickelback and PRS guitars has evolved over time. I like the older and angrier version of Nickelback but I like the newer sound of PRS guitars, ie my xx/08 xx/09 pickups. (I'm not much of a fan of the newer Nickelback offerings.)

Both Chad and Ryan have always played Gibson products (Ryan more than Chad it seems to me). I think I even saw a black Epiphone Les Paul in one of their really early videos. But in typical Gibson marketing machine fashion, Chad got a Gibson signature model Les Paul for about 10 minutes while old Nickelback fans know that he usually played a PRS and wrote off the whole thing as marketing BS. Same thing with Metallica. Long time Metallica fans know that they have always used ESP guitars for the most part, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere, they are playing Gibsons in one of their music videos from Death Magnetic. Just marketing BS. I think of Chad as a PRS guitar player, regardless of the whole Gibby thing.

Chad's been a PRS player since 1994 (check youtube, there's proof). Ryan has always been the Gibson and Fender Tele guy.
The video you're referring to is the one for "Leader of Men,"that was an Epiphone LP that was on set, not one of there's.
During the tour for The State Chad used two PRS guitars, a Custom 24 and his old faithful CE24 that he retired halfway through that tour. Silverside Up was done with mainly a McCarty and a Custom 24 though.
I'll admit being a Nickelback fan I did try out Chad's Blackwater signature and yea, the idea of it sounds good on paper, but it's a bit muddy to be honest. Live he still uses PRS for a few songs, mainly towards the end of the set.

Understandabe, but marketing is key for any business. I disagree about Metallica though. Although they've been endorsed by ESP for a while, they have used Gibson guitars for years. Kirk has always used his black Les Paul Custom for some songs live, and James has favored his Maltese Cross Les Paul Custom for a long time as well.

Also, in some studio footage you see them recording with the Gibsons quite a bit as well.

Wow, fellas, thanks so much for all the precious info!

I started out looking for a specific sound, and after listening to a number of reviews and reading your replies, I think I've set my aim on the SC245 model. I'm lacking a guitar with its characteristics and would love to own such a fine instrument.

Yet, there are a number of details that are still unclear to me. And rather than going OT, I'll just create a new topic more to the point!

Thanks again and see you on the other topic! :)

Wow, fellas, thanks so much for all the precious info!

I started out looking for a specific sound, and after listening to a number of reviews and reading your replies, I think I've set my aim on the SC245 model. I'm lacking a guitar with its characteristics and would love to own such a fine instrument.

Yet, there are a number of details that are still unclear to me. And rather than going OT, I'll just create a new topic more to the point!

Thanks again and see you on the other topic! :)

Feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail man, I have a ton of old info on Chad's gear and such clipped at home (At office right now)

I disagree about Metallica though. Although they've been endorsed by ESP for a while, they have used Gibson guitars for years. Kirk has always used his black Les Paul Custom for some songs live, and James has favored his Maltese Cross Les Paul Custom for a long time as well.
QUOTE]

I didn't mean to indicate that they used ESP exclusively; it seems everyone plays at least one token Gibson every once in a while, including myself. I also know James has that one bad ass custom made explorer style guitar that was made by some really sought-after boutique guitar builder whose name I don't recall. You know which one I'm talking about? Perhaps to say that they are more firmly rooted into the ESP camp than any other camp would be a better way to put it.

And to me, Chad is still a PRS player. :p

Nickelback really?

So...been in the Nickelback Police long, or is this your first gig?

I mean, they've been posting away here for three whole days and no one showed up. I think you guys were all eating donuts somewhere.

Me, I'm neutral on Nickelback, but I'm always up for a good lecture on why people shouldn't like what they like.

PS - At one time I was in the Metal Police, but I resigned when no one would listen to me. ;)

Last edited:
Back