Best PRS Custom SE color

Micro7312

I am looking to purchase a Custom 24 SE very soon, 2017-2019 models (my first prs). Those of you who have seen all the colors in person, which shows the best?

Whale Blue - I love most PRS colors but for some reason this one seems a bit darker than I would like (I like faded Whale Blue better). Love the translucent blue standard SE but I really want the maple cap that the customs have.

Trampas Green - looks interesting?

Fire Burst Red - nice color but also seems on the darker side.

Vintage or cherry sunburst - timeless colors, but I feel like PRS has more to offer here for finishes, or am I thinking too hard here?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
More seriously, assuming one cannot view a selection in person, I would recommend searching youtube for videos featuring SE guitars. It takes some time, but after the frustration of seeing the "same" color appear to be seven different shades given various lighting schemes and cameras and such; the red looks good on Wednesday, but blue on Thursday angst; I think one eventually finds what one likes.

I also suggest looking at various options of the same color: the grain of the veneers within the SE Custom range can vary significantly so even should one come to a decision on "the" color, one might wish to wait for the right grain pattern to appear (or, conversely, jump on the one that says "me!"). That's how I came to pull the trigger on the one in my avatar.

More seriously, assuming one cannot view a selection in person, I would recommend searching youtube for videos featuring SE guitars. It takes some time, but after the frustration of seeing the "same" color appear to be seven different shades given various lighting schemes and cameras and such; the red looks good on Wednesday, but blue on Thursday angst; I think one eventually finds what one likes.

I also suggest looking at various options of the same color: the grain of the veneers within the SE Custom range can vary significantly so even should one come to a decision on "the" color, one might wish to wait for the right grain pattern to appear (or, conversely, jump on the one that says "me!"). That's how I came to pull the trigger on the one in my avatar.

Seriously. Just get blue. :cool: Everyone knows blue guitars sound better. Don't listen to Sergio. He's in denial.

I reckon my whale blue SE is more of a faded blue. Obviously nothing like that of the core models though.

I don't think you can go wrong there.

I would also have gone with trampas had it been available at the time, but more for the natural back and neck.

The whale blue 2019 CU22 semi hollow SE I just got from zzounds is in the core whale blue ...faded and gorgeous! I had a friend get one at the same time and his is also the correct shade.

The whale blue 2019 CU22 semi hollow SE I just got from zzounds is in the core whale blue ...faded and gorgeous! I had a friend get one at the same time and his is also the correct shade.

And if that blue behaves like the core blue, it'll fade over time too. I think my SE custom in grey black has faded a little in the 11+ years I've had it.

So how do I know what the “correct”, I’m assuming lighter/faded, color is? Is it certain years or S/N?
I really don't know. I'm comparing the color to core guitars I've seen in the past. Blue with a hint of grey in it. Ours also both sport quilt maple with matching headstocks. Ours are both 2019's and made in Korea and came from zzounds at around the same time. Here's a link: https://www.zzounds.com/item--PAUSECU22SHG?siid=239575.

Pretty good representation of the color if duller than it looks in person.

I am looking to purchase ...my first prs...

My initial recommendation to new buyers is make sure you are choosing 22 vs 24 not for the frets but for the pickup placements.
The 22 will tonally be similar to a Les Paul while the 24 will be more similar to an SG because the neck pickup is pushed back closer to the bridge. If you have access to a Strat, they often have the same pickup in neck and middle positions and it's really easy to switch between them and hear what shifting a pickup that short distance can do to the tone. Are you more an LP or SG type of player?

Thats exactly the color I want. However compare that to the whale blue in the Custom SE solid body, much darker and less vibrant

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PAU18SECU24?siid=233034
Man, that stinks! I wonder where that 24 was made...i wonder if it's a different factory. I can say, but I don't think you're interested, is that the CU22 semi hollow sounds and plays (and looks) well beyond it's price point. Plus they always have the worry free return policy.

I just checked the pics and that 24 is, indeed, made in Indonesia.

Last edited:
Back