Best Pickups for SC245

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Bowtiefanatc, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

Hi Everyone,

I need some expert help. I secured a beautiful SC245 that I will be taking possession of in March and I have been looking around at different pickup combos, trying to keep it within PRS.

The SC currently comes with #7, which I have read are quite nice and definitely better than 245's (or at least so I've read). I really want to do the 57/08 Neck with 59/09 Bridge combo because I love my 59/09's in my CU24.

Just wanted to get some ideas from everyone here. Thanks!

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If it comes with #7, it's probably a Singlecut (25" scale length) and not an SC245 (24.5" scale length, and more recent model); the 245s came with 57/08s and now come with 58/15s.

I love the 57/08s on them, in any case. They seem to me to be the perfect pickup for SCs of any type. I have them on my McCarty Singlecut, see pic:

[​IMG]

shupe13 and g.wizz like this.
  3. Bowtiefanatc

It's an '08 SC245, so it came with 245's at first and the current owner that I am buying it from actually swapped those out for #7's. From chatting with him, I think I'm going to keep it as is for right now and I can always grab something like an SC-58 and do that combo.

From the videos I have heard the 58/15's sound glorious in Singlecuts! Maybe they will start pushing a few of those to the secondary market, or make them available through the PTC

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

They do sound glorious. I have 58/15's in my P245 Semi Hollow. Just outstanding!

5. helmi

helmi single & satin

I say go with a 57/08 set. the #7's are a very nice pickup. they were around for quite awhile, but, 57/08's KILL!

6. Drew

Drew New Member

I think you have it right with the 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck. The 57/08 bridge pickup, while very nice sounding, is under powered for a lot of applications. The 09 has just that bit of extra umphh that makes it more versatile.

vchizzle likes this.
  7. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Personally I'd send the guitar to the PTC for some 57/08s and a setup/freshen up.

A. Because it's probably the cheapest way to get a set of new 57/08s installed in the guitar;

B. Because they're the best at what they do, and they will tweak the guitar to the best it can be;

C. 57/08s because they're available, and will give you tonal variety from the 59/09s you already have.

8. TFC

TFC That guitar really tied the room together

I can't provide an expert opinion, but I can provide a free opinion ;). I recently picked up an SC245 with 57/08s. My CE24 has a 59/09 in the bridge so I am very familiar with that pickup. And it probably sounds pretty similar to yours in your CU24. I love the 59/09. It's great for hard rock.

I'm finding that the 57/08s are very different from the 59/09. For me, the 57/08 neck pickup was immediately fantastic. Very bright, clear and articulate. It actually makes me want to use the neck pickup. The 57/08 bridge is not as well suited for hard/modern rock like the 59/09. In that role, it's kind of wimpy. What I am finding is that the 57/08 sounds better with lower gain, and with what I think of as a more vintage rock sound. I play thru an Axe Fx, and I'm finding the sweet spot for the 57/08 bridge is in combination with a Plexi-type model driven by a tube screamer. It doesn't get you a thick, saturated sound like the 59/09s. Instead, you get that same articulation the neck pickup provides, along with a sharp attack. The thinner, less saturated sound makes it easier to hear all the notes in chords.

I'm still "learning" the pickup, but that's my take so far. I'm in a similar position as you, and I'm keeping the 57/08s in my SC245. At times I think I want a 59/09 bridge in my SC245 because I'm very comfortable with it and I know it will really rock, but I bet it would sound similar to my CE24. I want the variety, and the vintage sound is also something I want to have, so the 57/08s are staying for now.

The Fight likes this.
  9. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Just a plug for the underappreciated #7's. I think they are fantastic in the old SC's. Try them before you decide.

10. Bowtiefanatc

Yeah I'm definitely trying the #7 out before I do anything. That's the joy of pickups is that you can have so many different varierties and do trial and error

11. Suppalak Klabdee

Suppalak Klabdee PRSi in Black Gold with binding for life

My SC245 with 57/08s really rock! They could handle even some of the modern metal stuff (which does not really always means "super high gain"). The notes that come out are full of definition (not the typical absolute meltdown that people think about modern metal, I have other guitars for that) and every one of them could be heard. I love 57/08s!

12. TFC

TFC That guitar really tied the room together

I spent a lot of time playing my SC245 over the last week. The 57/08s are excellent pickups, but I found that the bridge pickup is not quite suited for my purposes. I also recently picked up an SE Akesson and replaced the stock 245s with Duncan JB & Jazz. I liked the sound of that guitar more than my SC245. The JB is perfect for the classic/hard rock stuff I like to play. So, I put the JB and Jazz in my SC245 and the JB sounds awesome. I love it and can't stop playing the guitar. The Jazz is decent, but I may end up putting the 57/08 neck pickup back in.

So, it may be blasphemous, but I'd recommend a Duncan JB. They're much easier to find used than the PRS pickups and are a whole lot less expensive. Definitely worth a try, IMO.

13. Jet Whitey

Jet Whitey New Member

My 25th came with 57/08's....They sounded good, but compared to my 20th with #7's it was a tad too tame. I swapped them out for a set 59/09's and it was close, but still not quite what I was after. I was lucky enough to have a set of DGT sent to me that were gold covered and dropped them in. Tada......the guit sounded as huge plugged in as it did acoustically. Pick-up height is really sensitive in PRS's Singlecuts...so remember to play around with that as well.

[​IMG]

Furtive, The Fight, vchizzle and 3 others like this.
  14. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Love those two. Very nice.

15. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

I need a white guitar in my life.

16. Bowtiefanatc

Ooooooo yeah that 25th looks gorgeous. I'll see what the #7's sound like for my taste but I will definitely keep the DGTs in mind. I saw that some guy sent his PRS back to the PTC and got gold covered 59/09's, could probably do that with 57/08's as well. I really don't care for gold hardware, but it looks soooooo classy on my SC245 that I'm getting.

[​IMG]

The Fight and vchizzle like this.
  17. Jet Whitey

Jet Whitey New Member

This one has a very special set of 57/08's in it.....They are one of 4 loose sets that were given to me as a gift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fight likes this.
  18. RonnieD

RonnieD New Member

"Ditto" here!

19. Bowtiefanatc

So I didn't care for the #7's at all in my SC. They actually made me a little sad to play it plugged in.

I hit up the PTC and I could get gold 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge but it was a bit high for me at the moment and I didn't want to pack up my new guitar.

So I ordered a set of Bare Knuckles....3 weeks later, holy moly!!!! I put them in last night and now it's like heaven is shining down whenever I plug the guitar in. This is exactly how I imagined her sounding! I love PRS and I love their pickups but sheesh these are on a whole new level. The Mule in the neck and Riff Raff in the bridge for a little extra bite. Cleans are beautiful and grit is crunchy and yet still articulate.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  20. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Well played, sir. Bare knuckles do not suck.

Bowtiefanatc likes this.