Best Pickup choices for Mccarty 594 with Rosewood Neck

Ytolyccuz

Hi,

I am very much interested to get your feedback great pickups for Mccarty 594 with a rosewood neck. I find the neck pickup too dark and the bridge pickup could use a little more output.

What I'm looking for is a brighter sound as I find my guitar too dark compared to rest of my guitars.

Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking of putting a set of BKP abraxas into my 594 for a bit of a different flavour to what they have stock.
There are so many options out there - let me know how you go :)

Seems to me the 85/15s that come on the Custom 24 might be worth a play, and might be a good match.

The 85/15 is not too dissimilar in overall quality, but it’s brighter and hotter, both neck and bridge. They’re great pickups, I have them in a CU24 30th PS. But I also have the 58/15 LTs in a 594, and I like them, so don’t take my word for it and buy them without trying them first.

If you want something in-between, the 57/08s are pretty sweet sounding pickups, too.

I’ve been so happy with the pickup series starting with the 57/08s that I stopped looking at aftermarket pickups for my PRSes. I’m probably not up on the latest-greatest stuff. But dang, some of these new PRS pickups really make me happy!

get a regular mahogany neck perhaps, rosewood is quite different.
it's a very good verification of why to play guitar before you buy.
I played a rosewood neck finally in guitar Center, a year or 2 ago, I had been wanting to try one, while it was certainly interesting.
it was an easy decision for me, this is a unique sound for more specific applications. mahogany or maple seems to be in 90% of all guitars for a reason.
but it is certainly musical I do not think it can handle high gain very well gets muddy dark.
you might find it decent pickup going to require some experimentation.
good luck and keep us informed of your journey.

Hi,

I am very much interested to get your feedback great pickups for Mccarty 594 with a rosewood neck. I find the neck pickup too dark and the bridge pickup could use a little more output.

What I'm looking for is a brighter sound as I find my guitar too dark compared to rest of my guitars.

Thank you in advance.

PRS 85/15 pickups.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I tried a bunch of amps in my Axe Fx II and I soon found out that my guitar (Wood Library Mccarty Rosewood Neck) responds a lot better on certain amps. I also adjusted some pole pieces and there was a noticeable improvement. Before, I couldn't come to terms with some Bogner and Dr. Z models but this guitar feels right at home with some of these amp models. I also noticed the undeniable woody character that the guitar has on the right amp. On the wrong amp, it sounds overly dark and muddy with an undesirable square wave sound on certain notes specially on the neck pickup.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will explore on getting to know what amps works best with this guitar. I'll send out some clips if I found something worth sharing. :) It's been only a month since I had this guitar and I'm still getting to know her unique voice.

Great to read that you've gotten a taste of the tone in a variety of settings.

If you do choose to swap, the non LT 58/15 has lots of output and is not muddy at all.

Back