Best pedals for your PRS

Vinker202

I found that Keeley dark side fuzz pedal works extremely well with my custom 24. It is also good when coupled with prince of tone...

What works best for you and your type of music?

I've had a late 90's Fulldrive 2 and OCD in my pedal chain forever. Others come and go - not these two. They sound excellent with my DGT and 594 through any amp I run them through. I play nothing but classic rock (ABB, AC/DC, Free, etc)

Well, this is an often asked subject in many forums, and there are many varied responses.

I usually prefer a just-on-the-edge-of-amp-break-up tone initially, for my clean tone with some compression. Dialing down on the guitar's volume cleans up the tone even more. I personally prefer 2 overdrive tones, the first is an obscure mini-effect that does the Klon Centaur Professional thing quite well, a Decibelics Golden Horse Professional Overdrive. Immediately following that is a J Rockett Blue Note Pro Series Overdrive.

The Golden Horse is mostly used to push the amp further towards break-up and sounds "creamy, not crunchy", if that best describes the tone. The Blue Note is used in 'Hot" mode that provides nicely even, balanced, and smooth saturation.

You might compare this tone to a modded 70's or 80's Marshall, but I only use a 1x12 35W clean platform amp as my basis for tone. Any good 6L6, 6V6, or EL34 tube amp will provide the clean platform you might need. The rest is subjective tone-wise, because my ears hear differently than yours. What sounds OK to me may not to you. In reality, it isn't quite perfect, but does the job well.

My PRS S2 Standard 22 works great with my Headrush Gigboard. It has everything I need plus more.

I have a Revv G3 coming in the mail, but here is my current layout:
1. Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner
2. Ibanez TS7 Tone Lok Tube Screamer
3. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
4. Reserved for Revv G3 :)
5. DigiTech Multi-Chorus
6. Dr. No Effects Moon Canyon
7. Source Audio Nemesis Delay
8. Walrus Audio SLO

-k

Reactions: IRG
Some of my favorites have been the Friedman Dirty Shirley, Bogner Wessex, and currently digging the heck out of the Fender MTG Tube Distortion.

I have a Revv G3 coming in the mail, but here is my current layout:
1. Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner
2. Ibanez TS7 Tone Lok Tube Screamer
3. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
4. Reserved for Revv G3 :)
5. DigiTech Multi-Chorus
6. Dr. No Effects Moon Canyon
7. Source Audio Nemesis Delay
8. Walrus Audio SLO

-k

I just bought a Revv G3 too. I needed something good and heavy, different from my ThorpyFX Muffroom which is really good but doesn't have the tightness that I want. Excited to add it to my arsenal.

I’ve been running my new 594 through a Analogman King of Tone and into a Deluxe Reverb that was hand wired by George Alessandro. The cleans of the DR along with the crunch tone of the KoT are a pretty awesome match for the PRS.

My McCarty goes into a Smokey Amps Klone > Keeley Comp Plus > TS808. Klone for a nice push, edge of break up. Leads come for gain stacking the Klone into 808 or comp into 808.

Used to have a pedaltrain full of Strymon, Xotic, and other flavors, but I haven’t used any of them since I bought a Helix LT over a year ago. Life is so much easier now.

I use a Princeton Reverb with the Helix and never feel out gunned, although I rarely play with drums. Usually play as a duo with an acoustic singer and/or with him and two others, another acoustic player and bass player. Blues, softer classic rock, alt country, alternative and new wave. Clean to light crunch with lots of other effects for textures.

b3_700x700.jpg

This. Browne Protein Drive. If it were my only dirt box I’d be satisfied.

Back