Best pedals for your PRS

More pedals, no amps is my eventual goal. If the decision came down to new amp or new guitar, guitar wins every time for me.

-k

Less pedals - better amps has been my approach the past few years

I did that, got fed up of all the stomping!

However, some carefully selected sounds really add a different dimension to certain songs.

But that is just me, different strokes and all that.

Less pedals - better amps has been my approach the past few years

Naaaa...I always say its cyclical...One year, I am trying to find the ultimate Clean/little dirty Tube amp, the next, Looking into various pedals to give a good dirty sound...For me, anyway.
Like Les said...(paraphrasing) There is no "right or wrong" answer. In the right hands, (or to the right set of ears), any pedal could sound "good' with any amp.

If the decision came down to new amp or new guitar, guitar wins every time for me.
I used to feel that way, buying lots of guitars and playing them thru a Blues Jr (crazy, right?). Then I finally bought a decent boutique amp and realized (for me) I had it all wrong for decades! I felt so stupid! Well, better late than never.

Now I know there are a couple more amps on my bucket list. My goal is zero pedals— just the foot switch that comes with the amp. (I’m not a gigging musician, so I think my “no pedals” goal is a realistic one. I don’t think I could do that if I was in a cover band.)

Thankfully, everyone’s wants, needs & desires are different.

Naaaa...I always say its cyclical...One year, I am trying to find the ultimate Clean/little dirty Tube amp, the next, Looking into various pedals to give a good dirty sound...For me, anyway.
Like Les said...(paraphrasing) There is no "right or wrong" answer. In the right hands, (or to the right set of ears), any pedal could sound "good' with any amp.

I am extremely bipolar when it comes to tone. On one hand I play classical...when I am in that mood I can’t fathom electric guitar. I play Bach and Scarlatti and just marvel at the beauty of unencumbered classical guitar tone, just natural reverb. But then something clicks and I start craving improvising with electric tones, its just powerful urge that comes to me to bend the strings, distort the sound and just mess with pedals and amps. I do that for awhile then I go back and forth like that. Its enjoyable I’d say. :)

I used to feel that way, buying lots of guitars and playing them thru a Blues Jr (crazy, right?). Then I finally bought a decent boutique amp and realized (for me) I had it all wrong for decades! I felt so stupid! Well, better late than never.

Now I know there are a couple more amps on my bucket list. My goal is zero pedals— just the foot switch that comes with the amp. (I’m not a gigging musician, so I think my “no pedals” goal is a realistic one. I don’t think I could do that if I was in a cover band.)

Yup, I get that, too. I had a Roland JC-77 forever, then discovered tubes...and the rest is literally history...Mesa's, PRS's, Fender's, etc... All Dr. Z now...But I will always look at pedals...It's just "funner" that way!!!!

Yup, I get that, too. I had a Roland JC-77 forever, then discovered tubes...and the rest is literally history...Mesa's, PRS's, Fender's, etc... All Dr. Z now...But I will always look at pedals...It's just "funner" that way!!!!
I agree. I have, buy and sell less pedals than I used too, but I still buy one and sell one occasionally. No amp does everything and even if it covers 2-3 bases extremely well, there's still the other "voices" you want occasionally, and the solo boost flavors you work through over time.

The funny thing for me is, I'll play my AA12 for 10 days in a row because I can't play til the wife is in bed, and I'll look around the room and be adding up what I could buy if I sold this, this and this pedals... then I'll play my amp once and be flipping pedals around and decide "no, that one stays." Still, there's always a few I want to buy and a few I want to sell. Barber has a couple newer versions of pedals that I haven't tried. And there's that Unit 67...

For me, having more guitars wins out because every one inspires you to play differently and play more. They all have different music “in” them. I don’t gig anymore but back then when I was playing out with friends my pedal setup was about as simple maps it could get. Distortion on or off. Now that I just play and record for myself I can branch way out into different sounds. Pedals are the ultimate in versatility because you can add new sounds at any time. Besides, its so fun to scope out new pedals and sounds online to add to the arsenal.

-k

I used a Gmajor with a midi controller for a really long time. I would have about ten patches or so that I'd stick to. I would also use the channel switching circuit in the Gmajor.

I liked it because I could achieve several things at once with just one tap of my foot.

I had a few beyond the ten I used the most but I also had expression pedal set up for lead boost so I could boost any patch. I also had a couple patches that were set up as lead volume level so I always had options.

In the last 3 years I've ditched the gmajor in favor of 3 pedals. I'm not doing much live gigging any more, just mostly recording. Trying to improve my tone.

Pettyjohn Pettydrive, TC Electronis Nova, Barber tone press.

More Guitars vs More Amps has been mentioned.

For Me: At one time I got up to about 12 different PRS. My thought was that if I EVER GOT IN A BAND I would use this guitar for this song and that guitar for that song etc...
In reality, when push came to shove, I always went for the guitar that makes me a better player and can sound like anything I need. My #1 CU24 pictured in my avatar.

I am now down to 4 core PRS. 3 CU24's , one of which is piezo equiped, and an SCT.

Amps: 2 Friedman a Marshall and a HX.

At the moment, I have 3 for dirt that cover everything I need - Wampler Tumnus, BMF Marc F'n Ford, and a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. For non-dirt, a Truetone V3 H2O and MXR Script Phase 90 (LED). Oh, and an EHX Wailer Wah in case I ever feel like using wah, which I think I will eventually but really never do.

I watched Pete Thorn's demo of the Unit 67, and after seeing that, to those of you who suggested this pedal, I can only say...

Bastids.
Yeah, I was ready to buy one before the end of the demo. Then went and looked at the price, and decided I might need to wait til after Christmas.

Oh, and this is after finally caving and deciding that I needed to try a Klon clone.

Yeah, I was ready to buy one before the end of the demo. Then went and looked at the price, and decided I might need to wait til after Christmas.

Oh, and this is after finally caving and deciding that I needed to try a Klon clone.

I'm really a fan of a klon clone since trying one out last Christmas. They are a useful pedal to have and should be used more than just set clean to give a slight boost that seems to be the fashionable way at the moment. They work really well to thicken up and boost an already crunchy drivey amp. Like the way Pete Thorne does in his RYRA Klone demo.

Back