Best NON 10 Tops out there??? Let's See Them!

580750_10150737079932412_1898387617_n.jpg

398553_10151173222782412_1899119657_n.jpg

You know what would be cool? If you could file an appeals process with PRS! Lol. Like a 10 Top review committee!

What exactly are the criteria for a 10 top,anyhow? Is there a list of specs that the lads at the factory go by?
From the PRS FAQ:

A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will usually have a small "10" written on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner. Some of our earlier guitars have the "10" stamped into the finish in the same position.

Hey! I figured out how to post! Heres my nice non 10 Top
8253649500_3b8a2eb11b_c.jpg

And to be fair here is a 10 top that I thought shouldn't be..

8257263225_e1ea153539_z.jpg

RW headstock veneer with (does it have an inlaid signature?) If so, Artist Package...

Jamie

From the PRS FAQ:

A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will usually have a small "10" written on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner. Some of our earlier guitars have the "10" stamped into the finish in the same position.

While I think I understand their thinking, there should definitely be exceptions to that general rule. Take Todd's SC that he posted pics of above. It clearly has some spots that are void of figure, but what they do is tend to accentuate the figure around those spots. I think that is a very cool top, and I would be very happy to have received that as a 10 or even an artist grade.

From the PRS FAQ:

I'll have to keep looking for the vid, but in it PRSh took some alcohol, rubbed it over a maple blank so the camera could "see" the true, natural figuring. Then he said 10 tops are determined before they are stained. I'm guessing that's so the coloring can't influence the decision.

While I think I understand their thinking, there should definitely be exceptions to that general rule. Take Todd's SC that he posted pics of above. It clearly has some spots that are void of figure, but what they do is tend to accentuate the figure around those spots. I think that is a very cool top, and I would be very happy to have received that as a 10 or even an artist grade.

When I showed it to Paul when he was in Seattle....he said " Boy did they blow that one! "

Back