Best Music Documentaries and

and one other that I can't find online. It was the story of Chess Records and was done very well. Unfortunately I can't remember the name...
There was the movie about Chess Records called "Cadillac Records". But that's not a documentary. It had Beyonce and Jeffrie Wright in it. It was better than I expected it to be.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Muscle Shoals - I just bought a copy of that for my buddy because he hadn't seen it.

I need to make the hour trek to check the place out...my ex-wife grew up about a mile away from Fame Studios...she could have cared less about all the history and music that is/has been created there...hence, one of the multitude of reasons she is and will always be, "plaintiff #2"o_O

These are all great Music Docs! Thanks to the OP for the thread! :cool:

I need to make the hour trek to check the place out...my ex-wife grew up about a mile away from Fame Studios...she could have cared less about all the history and music that is/has been created there...hence, one of the multitude of reasons she is and will always be, "plaintiff #2"o_O

Start around :55 seconds. This applies to you if you're only an hour away.

https://soundcloud.com/bobandtom/kr...om/sets/the-bob-tom-show-remembers-tim-wilson

Paul Goddard can play a damn bass.

And I just finished up Jeff Beck: Still on the Run. Really interesting, fascinating.
From the Showtime page: "Documentary following Jeff Beck from his earliest days growing up in Wallington, Surrey with his home made guitars, teenage friendship with Jimmy Page and the influences of guitarists such as Les Paul, Cliff Gallup and James Burton."

Interviews with:
  • Eric Clapton
  • Rod Stewart
  • Jimmy Page
  • Slash
  • Ronnie Wood
  • David Gilmour
  • Lots more I'm forgetting.
An interesting part was when Clapton was describing his latter time in the Yardbirds. He was thinking of leaving and the group sent him to go check out Jeff Beck as his replacement. He said he saw Beck and said, "Man. I'm in the wrong business.":D
Again, unfortunately, you may need Showtime channel to watch this.

I really enjoyed this one.

That’s for sure. I was some what shocked on how brutally honest it was. Especially since he was involved. Most artists/stars wouldn’t show all of the warts.

Absolutely, how many musicians would allow images of them drug taking to be filmed!

I think it’s part of his recovery.

There was the movie about Chess Records called "Cadillac Records". But that's not a documentary. It had Beyonce and Jeffrie Wright in it. It was better than I expected it to be.

You're right! I knew there was something about that memory that didn't completely jive. My mistake.

Bumping this...
Netflix has Echo In The Canyon available right now. It's a doc about the rise of singer songwriters in Laurel Canyon back in the 60's/70's. It's hosted by Jakob Dylan and features interviews with Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Stephen Stills, Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr, Roger McGuinn, Michelle Philips, John Sebastian and Lou Adler. There's also a concert sprinked throughout with Jakob playing with various other performers including Beck, Fiona Apple, Nora Jones and Cat Power among others. I honestly could do without Jakob's concert and I find him a very dry interviewer, but the magic as always, is with the stories from back in day. I wish they would have added others that lived there like Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell however. David Crosby telling the story of him getting booted from Birds is worth viewing all by itself!

Bumping this...
Netflix has Echo In The Canyon available right now. It's a doc about the rise of singer songwriters in Laurel Canyon back in the 60's/70's. It's hosted by Jakob Dylan and features interviews with Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Stephen Stills, Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr, Roger McGuinn, Michelle Philips, John Sebastian and Lou Adler. ...
I just saw the promo for this. They were interviewing Michelle Philips for the trailer. It looks very interesting.

'Long Time Running' It covers the Tragically Hip's dealing with Gord Downie's (lead singer for those not familiar) terminal brain cancer and their final tour. Hey, my first post.....

Back