Best Music Documentaries and

Watching one now about Jeff Beck on Prime, I think it is. Called Jeff Beck: On The Run. I always enjoy stuff about 60s UK because that's out of which I came myself. Last week I watched a long one (2+ hours) about Eric Clapton which had footage I hadn't seen before, including unpleasant coverage of his drinking days. Quite honest, I have to say.

And by the way, RIP Ginger. I supped a beer and watched a YT of Toad in respect.

Also, forgot to mention. I never saw Ginger Baker live but I did see EC quite often, but more importantly, I saw Jack Bruce back in 1970 at Newcastle City hall with Tony Williams Lifetime and which meant that was my first exposure to John MacLaughlin of whom I have been a lifetime (Ha! pun not intended!) fan.

When I was a pimply youth growing up in the northeast of England I was going to be Jack Bruce II. Never happened but I have enjoyed many years of striving to get a handle on the bass and the guitar. No regrets, coyote.

I either read about them in a publication like Vintage Guitar, Guitar World, etc or come across them while wasting time on-line. Some I've heard about here. We Fix Flats starts threads about them, from time to time. I like to own them, so I usually order from the artist, or Amazon. Oh yeah, almost forgot, PBS is a great place to find them. I will order from PBS instead of Amazon, if I can.

Thomas Dowd and the Language of Music is still one of the best music docos ever made, IMO

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343107/

+100. And it has a very young Joe Bonamassa, as well.

"Hired Gun" is another wonderful one. Great look into the world of the sideman.

There's a recent one call "Hitsville", I think - history of Motown. Very good, if somewhat uncritical look at the history of the label.

I've seen a ton of these the past few years. Showtime and AXS-TV show a lot. I love seeing behind the curtain. "Sound City" is great. I enjoyed the one from the Foo Fighters. "20 Feet From Stardom", about background singers, is really good.

Also, forgot to mention. I never saw Ginger Baker live but I did see EC quite often, but more importantly, I saw Jack Bruce back in 1970 at Newcastle City hall with Tony Williams Lifetime and which meant that was my first exposure to John MacLaughlin of whom I have been a lifetime (Ha! pun not intended!) fan.

When I was a pimply youth growing up in the northeast of England I was going to be Jack Bruce II. Never happened but I have enjoyed many years of striving to get a handle on the bass and the guitar. No regrets, coyote.
I had the opportunity to see Cream at Vets Memorial in Columbus, May 14, 1968, Was always a fan of all three, even though Bruce and Baker were often at each other.

+100. And it has a very young Joe Bonamassa, as well.

"Hired Gun" is another wonderful one. Great look into the world of the sideman.

There's a recent one call "Hitsville", I think - history of Motown. Very good, if somewhat uncritical look at the history of the label.

I've seen a ton of these the past few years. Showtime and AXS-TV show a lot. I love seeing behind the curtain. "Sound City" is great. I enjoyed the one from the Foo Fighters. "20 Feet From Stardom", about background singers, is really good.

Hitsville was outstanding!

Sound City was definitely one of my fave docs. Hired Guns was great except that it forever altered the way I think about Billy Joel now.

I was familiar with some of the Billy Joel stuff, particularly some of the stuff around Doug Stegmeyer. I didn’t realize just how shabbily he treated the rest of his old band.

Back