Best "locking" replacement for Vintage Tuners?

Hopeful Sinner

Angry Southern Gentleman
HELP!

I want to go with locking tuners on my McRosie.. What are the best locking vintage style tuners, that are a direct replacement, in your opinion? Any input is welcome.

Man I wish Phase III had the same footprint as the going rate at the PTC for those is great!!!

I have 2 sets of Sperzels on two of my guitars and a set of Schallers on third guitar. They both are great. The Schaller seems to have a more robust locking knob on the bottom, it's easier to tighten than the Sperzel. But I love them both.

Last edited:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Max+Guitar+Store+-+TonePros+Hardware&oq=Max+Guitar+Store+-+TonePros+Hardware&gs_l=youtube.12...2663.2663.0.3805.1.1.0.0.0.0.130 .130.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.7rC4t-9Mwzk[/video]Try these out, I have a set going on my BM Se. Shawn at the PTC said that the guitars built with vintage tuners have a slightly thinner head stock and the headstock angle is a little diffrent too. Tonepros Klusons a the best vintage tuners made in my opinion. Check out this video,

I posted this, it seems, too soon.. I restrung and my tuning issue seems to have disappeared!

Hey guys, I have a question as well concerning the McCarty tuners. I recently bought a 2001 McCarty goldtop and would like to change the vintage style tuners as well. I noticed that the new McCarty 58 comes equipped with their new Phase III locking tuners. Does this mean those tuners will fit an older McCarty as well, or does the 58 have a different neck construction compared an older McCarty?

What, you didn't believe the answer I gave you on TGP?

Just kidding...I don't blame you for asking around multiple places. But I think the answer to your question (Phase III tuners on a 2001 McCarty) is still "no, they won't fit". No doubt some other folks will chime in.

I believe the McCarty with Phase III have thicker headstock but don't quote me on that. I have gotoh locking vintage tuners that I like a lot. Need another set for my other McCarty.

The footprint on the Phase III tuners is different than the vintage tuners.. So, not a direct replacement...

Phase 111's are available for purchase or just through PTC? I don't see them on the website?

(I want to send my 02 CU 22 to the PTC for a refurbish)

Back