Best lockdown purchase

1977 Starcaster. A pristine, under-the-bed example and even the case appears brand new.

There was tequila involved.

I understand this is not everyone's idea of a 'holy grail' guitar, but it's been one of mine for decades, and this one is hands down the nicest I've ever seen. The lockdown had me going through my pile of guitars and selling all the ones I had that were 'cool' but that never got played because the necks were too thin for me. To my surprise, I sold 7 guitars in a matter of a few weeks and ending up with a surprising amount of cash.

This jewel was already priced low for the condition, and I offered the seller $500 less, figuring no way. They accepted. I panicked. Tequila.

I figured it had to be a dog of a player and I would need to spend more buck$ to get it in shape, but guitar was actually nicer than they described, has a perfect set up, plays fantastic and sounds like heaven (if you're a fan of the Seth Lover Wide Range pups, which I am).

20200615-205331-resized.jpg
20200614-225523-resized.jpg

I figure I must have burned up a lot of good guitar karma with this one :)
WOW!!! Never seen such a nice Starcaster. Also a guitar I've always wanted but prices started going up so I stopped looking.

I love my SE One, which came to me at the start, but my best purchase has been a full suspension 29er. I've spent more time on trails since March than I have for the last four years. I'm even loving my hardtail again. My commute has dropped from almost two hours a day to under a minute, leaving tons of early morning weekdays to hit the trails.

I've dropped about 20 lbs, too.

The SE One adds almost 9lbs!
Nice, what full sus did you get?

I gave the new battery a partial charge to test the mower and covered what took 4-5 batteries on the old mower. And the new 7.5 Ah battery charges in 70 minutes, versus the old ones needing 9 hours to charge. I’ll easily be able to finish the lawn in a day without buying a spare battery. Better batteries and more efficient engine makes a world of difference.
I picked up an ego electric lawn mower during lock down as well. (already had the week wacker)

I borrowed an PS4 controller from the kids.
I have a new diversion, that new flight simulator 2020 for pc, I realised I could map one of the kids ps4 controllers to it, and they are doing a $4 / month for the gamepass with the first month a $1

The visuals look great, and if you have good internet, they do real time weather streaming. I was sucked in by youtube of people 'flying' around with the latest storm front approaching.

Me too. I got sucked in after a few youtube videos and thrught to myself "he you just bought yourself a gaming PC - not for games, but for photo/video editing and mixing band recordings... why not try a game on it." ..mine is a low level gaming laptop though so I can't run at super high settings but still fun. I'm using an xbox controller. However, I am trying not limit time on that so I don't blow off playing guitar, paying bills, cleaning the house, etc...

Nice lockdown purchases everyone!

No actual guitars for me (yet) but a few guitar related purchases during lockdown ;
  • King of Tone OD (my name came up right at the beginning of lockdown)
  • 2nd set of George L cables
  • Flashback x4 delay
(and looking at pulling the trigger on Strymon Blue Sky this week. If not the Blue sky, possibly an Eventide H9. I primarily want / need the reverb. ...Also considering a PRS SE Hollow body but a bit gun shy)

Non guitar related purchases;
Paint for my office which was originally a kids play room in baby blue - its gonna be my home office and guitar hangout room.
Gaming PC - purchased for video editing and mixing our band recordings - but as I replied above, just bought flight sim 2020
Eco Electric Lawn Mower
Projector - to watch concert streams outside with friends / band mates (also setting it up in my new office / guitar room to watch concert streams)

I'm now rockin an xbox controller too, the kids asked for their ps4 one back, and it seems to work better ;)

Me too. I got sucked in after a few youtube videos and thrught to myself "he you just bought yourself a gaming PC - not for games, but for photo/video editing and mixing band recordings... why not try a game on it." ..mine is a low level gaming laptop though so I can't run at super high settings but still fun. I'm using an xbox controller. However, I am trying not limit time on that so I don't blow off playing guitar, paying bills, cleaning the house, etc...

Pretty much whenever i want a new guitar I show a few to my daughters(both under 5) and ask which they like best. Wife seems to accept it more if I tell her it’s for the girls.

That's hilarious. And did NOT work for me. I've got 4yr old twin girls and when shopping for my 594 online, they would always say "Daddy are you looking at guitars AGAIN?" Then I'd get evil eye from the wife.

I spent all my guitar money on three GoGo birds, two aerial photography drones, an iPad mini, an IWI Tavor-21 airsoft rifle, a Cairns 1044 Fire Helmet, and an online course on The Divine Comedy. So, I guess you could say I went a bit nuts. That's what working 12 hours a day from home for six months in total isolation will do to you.

Nice, what full sus did you get?

I went cheap, and got a 150mm Motobecane. I been riding my Ibis Tranny 29er, but the rocky sh!t out here was giving me (literal) headaches every ride. I figured it would be decent for a season. It's actually be really killer. It needed some quick upgrades, but the drivetrain and brakes are incredible for the price (GX and XT). The shock and fork, dropper, and saddle are OK. The wheels suck. The frame has been great. It's a touch over 30 lbs, and with upgrades was only $2200.

Winning on both purchases! Love the blue SS, and you're going to love the guitar. Sold all but one of my Strats when I got mine. It was just a better guitar!

They really are, aren't they?! I'm jonesing for one of the maple necks terribly bad! The neck having a satin finish is REALLY enticing. I didn't really get along with the gloss nitro on my last one.

The last 2 weeks I've missed on a Mesa TA 15 head, and a Keeley 30MS. Sigh. The Keeley involved guitar center...enough said.

The only thing I've bought for myself lately was a beer light for the music room the other day. It's a 1983 dated Löwenbräu bar light that I stumbled across and was simply too cheap to pass on. I rewired the cord, added new bulbs and she's ready for her place on the wall. I like to turn on all my bar lights, and play Gimme Three Steps...LOL.

My guitar collection doubled in size since the pandemic started (from 2 to 4). About 6 weeks ago, I bought a NOS 2014 Fender American Standard Telecaster and last week, I bought a PRS S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut. The Tele is amazing. The PRS is still on its way here, but I have high hopes it could be my new #1 guitar. I've also bought a lot of pedals, but the two new guitars are definitely the highlights.

Back