Best Live Album?

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by crgtr, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

How about Yes Songs - Yes - Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy - Live At Leeds The Who and I'm digging
    Joe Bonamassa At Red Rocks. ( That's too much to think about at 5 30 in the morning)!!!

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  2. Huggy B

Huggy B Your Kung Fu is not good enough!!

Impressive!! Not a lot of people even know about them, funk/rock at its best.

Hard to add to the list after you threw Frampton out there, gets my vote for all around best live release.
    How about "Band of Gypsys" -Jimi, "Lotus" and "Moonflower" -Santana, although Carlos did a half live/half studio on that one.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  3. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A

I like when the concert versions of songs closely match the recorded versions. When artists change the meter or style or the tempo of a song I've listened to for years, is just doesn't work for me. A notable exception would be the two versions of 'Revolution' by the Beatles. It's worth noting that they were released at nearly the same time, so I had a chance to listen to them both, side by side and frequently.

I do like extended versions of songs with new solos thrown in, though.

I'm not a fan of 'unplugged' versions. The absolute worst example would be Clapton's unplugged version of 'Layla'. The slow, laid back version evicerated that song and rendered it meaningless. Gone were the angst, longing and despair, only to be replaced by apathy.

4. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Anytime I think I can play guitar, I just listen to Johnny's version of Jumpin Jack Flash with Rick Derringer that is on this (dare it say it) LP. Phenomenal guitar playing!

5. CVS

CVS Not so new member

OK - to the best of my knowledge only one vote for the Allman Brothers Live at The Filmore East so I will cast my for for it as well. Also liked The Who - Live at Leeds

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'll toss out a couple that may not be "the best". They bring back good memories of youth in the early 80's. We certainly did wear them out....

Pat Travers - Live! Go For What You Know

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

Two of my all time favorites, and both were absolute staples for me for "put on the album and play along" albums.

Just saw this and haven't given it any thought but I'll throw this one out there. Emerson, Lake and Palmer "Welcome Back My Friends...." The first hour of that concert has to be some of the most incredible live performance ever recorded. STUNNING! I've seen many of the greatest guitar players ever, and heard most of them. I still say Keith Emerson is the best musician I've ever seen live. Both times, just completely blew me away.

There is a YouTube video of that concert and when this topic came up in a smaller forum a couple years ago, I mentioned this concert. Many guys who'd never heard it watched and even the non-ELP fans were all blown away by this. When I have time later today I'll link it up here for you guys to check out. Mind blowing stuff!

#47 DreamTheaterRules, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Woundtight and Dusty Chalk like this.
  8. DreamTheaterRules

(Sorry, just catching up on this thread!)
    Another GREAT one that was for years a regular on the "put the album on and play along" list. GREAT STUFF. Probably my favorite Johnny album.

9. DreamTheaterRules

Many great mentioned, but this is another all time favorite for me.

Edit: and I was worried that I was most of the way through the thread without mention of it, but Huggy B saved us all. Band Of Gypsys. Jimi's best solo ever (the greatest guitar solo of all times!) and multiple other killer ones.

#49 DreamTheaterRules, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. aristotle

aristotle New Member

Didn't notice this thread when it was originally put out there... For me, no contest. Snuck into this bar at age 13, and was in the audience when this was recorded...

Totally set my bar in terms of what live sound should be.

11. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Good call on both -- I listened to these two albums more than the respective artists' collective studio albums.

12. Dusty Chalk

Yeah, I know, I suspect I am in the minority on that, but I really dig alternate versions.

The Name of this band is Talking Heads is another one I love, where I don't think there's a single track from Remain in Light that hadn't been completely rearranged.

I'd be curious as to your opinion of the Eagles' live version of Hotel California, where they replaced the searing solo with that pulled back unplugged version. I like it, of course, other than it got overplayed, but I suspect you hate it.

13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Ditto!

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  14. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A

Oddly, the acoustic version from the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD is quite nice to me...

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  15. Dusty Chalk

Huh. I...I don't know what to think about that. I guess I need more data points.

16. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

In no special order :)

Frank Zappa- Best band you never heard
    UFO -Strangers in The Night
    Humble Pie -Rockin the Filmore
    Robin Trower Live
    Ted Nugent Double live Gonzo
    Peter Frampton - Frampton comes alive
    AC/DC - If you want Blood
    Atlanta Rhythm Section - Champagne Jam

17. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

UFO Strangers is not only my fav live album but fav of ALL TIME!!!

Pat Travers - Go for What You Know is a close #2

18. DreamTheaterRules

Double Live Gonzo was a staple during my high school and college days. Back in the 8-track days, this was a double length tape, which any of you who had them know, didn't last long. I used to wear out a DLG 8 Track about every 6 months until I finally got a cassette deck for the car.
    Robin Trower Live is one of my 10 desert island albums. An all time favorite from one of my favorite guitar players.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  19. PRSAK

PRSAK I am only an egg

Rush - All the World's a Stage. I wore that out (on cassette) big time!!

20. Dusty Chalk

Oh, heck yeah, my introduction to Rush.

Loved side 3, especially, and one of these days, I'm going to do a bizarre cover of "What You're Doing" that I have in my head.