Best Guitar Cable ?

I got mad at a bunch of cable some years ago and spent what I thought was crazy money trying some new ones. The ones I liked enough to buy again were:

Zzyzx OFC professional noiseless with magnetic snap jacks - the actual Jack is head to the end of the cable with earth magnets so you never stress the end of the cable. Jack snaps of noiselessly. Never tangle.

Corex2 which claims to be specialized to acoustic. I really like these, but the thick fabric outer layer does make them a bit fussier to roll up when putting them away.

Mogami gold. I really like it, but don’t use it much anymore because it is pretty short. It was good for plugging into a pedal in my PA apartment but things are a bit more spread out at home and I don’t use pedals here.

Like a few folks here, I use wireless systems. I swap between Line 6 G30 (two of them) and Xvive U2. The Line 6 is most compatible (the Xvive's give off some noise when using on piezo equipped guitars with lots of gain - they have some sort of interference issues with "active" pickups). But I use the Xvive's for convenience when using a tiny pedal board (no room for the G30 receiver unit), when I know I am going to keep the dirt/gain down. My wife uses Xvive's for her bass (electric and U-Bass).

I am so glad to not be tripping over cables. I walk around a lot when we play - if we are doing our own sound, I am the sound guy, so I need to get off the "stage" and into the audience to hear stuff, and get over to the sound board to tweak.

I use a Boss WL-50 wireless sometimes, but I'm not a big believer in types of cables affecting sound that much. I buy more based on needed length, end types, and rugged/wrapping them up easily. For my pedalboard, I'm starting to move over to the EBS cables that have really small flat right angle plugs, to save space.

I make my own cables. Mostly I use Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. From the photo those are the connectors PRS uses. As a physicist I am not buying into the wire itself mattering too much over the kind of runs most of us are using. Shielding matters, good solder joints matter, the Neutriks have quite good strain relief so that isn't much of a worry.

I make my own cables. Mostly I use Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. From the photo those are the connectors PRS uses. As a physicist I am not buying into the wire itself mattering too much over the kind of runs most of us are using. Shielding matters, good solder joints matter, the Neutriks have quite good strain relief so that isn't much of a worry.

So you prefer your cables “stringy” rather than “loopy”?;)

I use a Boss WL-50 wireless sometimes, but I'm not a big believer in types of cables affecting sound that much. I buy more based on needed length, end types, and rugged/wrapping them up easily. For my pedalboard, I'm starting to move over to the EBS cables that have really small flat right angle plugs, to save space.
I have to echo these thoughts. I suspect a well-assembled cable, with good shielding, will sound "good" no matter what brand. The trick is to find a cable made such that it has good strain relief, and is therefore going to not sustain damage easily, which is where a lot of cables start to sound crappy, IMHO.

Now I will say that the way a cable is made - core, insulator, shielding, can all impact the overall capacitance of the cable, especially long runs, which could have an impact to the overall "sound" (thus the "sweet switch" of Santana fame), and I suspect as a result some people like specific capacitance ranges more than others. So the PRS-branded cables are undoubtedly very well made and possibly/likely have a capacitance that is "right where it should be" for many people.

This article is quite interesting:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/choosing-guitar-cables

And so is this one, somewhat arguing the opposite, although they make some incorrect statements regarding the physics of EM waves, which are corrected in the comments by "Science Nazi":

http://sfguitarworks.com/the-great-cable-myth/

I have to echo these thoughts. I suspect a well-assembled cable, with good shielding, will sound "good" no matter what brand. The trick is to find a cable made such that it has good strain relief, and is therefore going to not sustain damage easily, which is where a lot of cables start to sound crappy, IMHO.

Now I will say that the way a cable is made - core, insulator, shielding, can all impact the overall capacitance of the cable, especially long runs, which could have an impact to the overall "sound" (thus the "sweet switch" of Santana fame), and I suspect as a result some people like specific capacitance ranges more than others. So the PRS-branded cables are undoubtedly very well made and possibly/likely have a capacitance that is "right where it should be" for many people.

This article is quite interesting:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/choosing-guitar-cables

And so is this one, somewhat arguing the opposite, although they make some incorrect statements regarding the physics of EM waves, which are corrected in the comments by "Science Nazi":

http://sfguitarworks.com/the-great-cable-myth/

Cables don’t matter? Wait until @LSchefman gets here!

One of the things I like is how manageable the VanDamme cables are compared to some others. Sound just as good as Mogami Gold to my ears but thinner and more flexible.

I do really dig a 12" Mogami Platinum just for "me in my basement" stuff when I really just want to plug straight in. That seems to have a little somethin somethin...

Back