Best Gig Bag for my DGT

T3mp

Looking for a great gig bag that has structural support and a big pocket to haul around my DGT.

I went Reunion Blues RBX for two guitars. A single would be good too.

I recently purchased a Reunion Blues RBX335 Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar Bag to port around a new Gretsch I purchased. Seems nice enough but I thought it was overpriced at $170. I do really like being able to carry it like a backpack via the shoulder straps, and I will probably use it for some PRSi once I decide to let them out of the house ;~)) I checked out a Mono bag that a friend bought recently and was pretty impressed with that thing. Way more support than the RBX I picked up. I will probably buy one of those if I get another considering the extra padding and pocket designs.

I’ve been using the “Signature” - the black one that comes with the S2’s - gig bag for years and it’s been perfect. Never a damaged guitar, has held up with no rips, tears, or broken parts. I think it may essentially be the SE bag but with different embroidery, but it’s what I’ve used and it’s been great.

I've been looking for a nicer gig bag myself. Searching online it seems that the Mono Vertigo or the Gator Pro-Go cases are the most respected. They are both $200 + but seem to be universally respected. Next level down seems to be the Reunion Blues bags and then maybe the Gator Transit gig bag.

I'm looking for a nicer bag for a cheaper guitar so I don't really want to drop $200+ but if it were for a DGT, I'd probably pay up and get the Mono or Gator.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the great responses. I think I will check out the Momo bag. I was thinking of Reunion Blues, but if the Mono is more supportive I would go in that direction. Just don't like lugging a hard case around and most of my guitars came with them.

The Mono bags are very good, and worth the dough. So are the Reunion Blues bags.

On the other hand, I like a leather bag, because leather's pretty thick, tough stuff and if you change your mind about it, you can have it made into hiking boots, a guitar strap or three, or a load of wallets.

Anyway, my choice would be one of these, not because they're more protective, only because I'm that crazy person who's into leather bags:

Another vote for the Mono Cases.
Even the cheaper sleeve is super solid.

So in my typical fashion, I decided to take a look at the more recent Mono gig bag videos. Nice bags.

But I noticed on a sidebar a video with a guy custom-making a gig bag for one of Eric Idle's guitars. Rabbit hole entry point, right?

After watching that video, I began to understand why good gig bags and cases are expensive - lots of steps are involved. The bag took over 7 hours to make! Most bags are made offshore now, and I can see why. They'd be even more expensive otherwise.

Something like a Hoffee or Calton case? Sure, very costly. But laying up carbon fiber or fiberglass takes more work and time (including curing) than sewing cloth. It's very time-consuming, even with a small production line.

I'm sure that the same is true for well-made wooden cases. Well, ya get what ya pay for in this world!

I have a couple of Levy's leather gig bags. I got them for a ridiculously low price at a Guitar Center sale...

One is glove leather soft, like it was used for years and the other a bit more stiff, but they both work great at protecting my guitars.

I've even taken my PS HB II out in them...

I have a couple of Levy's leather gig bags. I got them for a ridiculously low price at a Guitar Center sale...

One is glove leather soft, like it was used for years and the other a bit more stiff, but they both work great at protecting my guitars.

I've even taken my PS HB II out in them...
I've used them, too, and even traveled to Europe for some gigs with them. They held up extremely well. The leather is thick and protective. If I have a niggle, it's that I prefer closed cell foam to the softer stuff Levy's uses. But that wouldn't stop me from getting one.

Back