Favorite flame top

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Whats your favorite flame top on any particular PRS guitar? I have had more luck with quilt personally, but this would be the best curly maple top I’ve ever seen:
gJQQDKUl.jpg

The contrast, the width, the definition, the consistency, and the way it curls and curves as it fans out to the sides. Amazing!

Anyone who has access to this guitar: DIBS DIBS DIBS DIBS DIBS!!!

Photo courtesy of the PRS Collection 2014 webpage.

Last edited:
My favourite 'ever' would be 9 0697. I've only seen it in pictures (BOTB, page 62/63) but I love how it's clearly been used and abused over the years. It's #6 on my 2018 guitar shopping list after Eldon's gold Strat.

PRS-wise I used to own this one, which is an '88 Sig. I think it looks great in this picture. I know where it is and would like it back.

My favourite 'ever' would be 9 0697. I've only seen it in pictures (BOTB, page 62/63) but I love how it's clearly been used and abused over the years. It's #6 on my 2018 guitar shopping list after Eldon's gold Strat.

PRS-wise I used to own this one, which is an '88 Sig. I think it looks great in this picture. I know where it is and would like it back.

Nice! Very Les Paulish top!

Great Top,can't think of a better one!

I have to say, finding that perfect flame is very rare. Finding it coincident with other general specs you want - impossible!

Even if you build a PS from scratch and choose a perfect looking slab, it will change by the time they carve it down.

I’ve found flame thats close to perfect, only for there to be 2 f-holes in it. :confused:

Quilt is much more forgiving...

Last edited:
This is the one I aspire to. Perfect.

000.jpg
I’ve seen this one before. Brilliant. ‘Paul’s special top’. And you may not believe it, but I had a hunch someone might post this very guitar. Double like!

Last edited:
Back