Best envelope filter for Jerry garcia tone

YEM

Looking for the Jerry Garcia tone, but not looking to spend an additional $500 for a vintage filter, at least not now.

So many choices, wondering what others are using and liking.

And since I didn't specify, I am looking for the clean autowah sound...

So back in the day .... I bought a Boss T-Wah. It was OK --- not great for that full envelope sound. Touch sensitivity knob was useful, so your picking attack did affect the effect. In the end though, high attack was always a bit too sharp to think there isn't something better out there. Never used it much, never searched further and more $ cause I was more concerned about what cords and speakers and tubes and socks would get me better tone. I would consider that unit a decent "settle for."

Reactions: YEM
I am looking at a keeley neutrino or a EH Q-tron+

Both are around $200.

I play a "Jerry" role in my current gig (use my Paul's guitar and 594 depending on the tune) and use a 3Leaf Proton v3. All the great Mutron tone without the PITA of vintage equipment.

Thanks. Ended up getting a Mutron iii+. The sound is incredible. Very easy to dial in Jerry tones. But the pedal is enormous! One of the largest individual pedals I have seen. Should have come with wheels. Will check out the proton.

Man, I have an old, original electrical plug in Mutron III. I never ever wanted to sound like Jerry, but I have that ability should I chose...

If price is a factor and you don't mind the size, get the EH Qtron+. Good enough for J Mayer in Dead & Co. I recently got a 3 Leaf Audio Proton and it is amazing, very HiFi sounding, small footprint.

okay just saw your follow up. It would seem price wasn't a factor as you got the most expensive, but probably best one out there lol. How'd you get the (nu) Mu Tron III+? I thought you couldn't order them any more.

Didn't get a vintage mutroniii+, instead got the Haz mutron iii+ reissue.

Much cheaper. Sound is the same (as far as I can tell.)

I used the Keeley neutrino and was able to dial in a pretty good Jerry tone. Then I was lucky enough to get a Micro-tron III when they were released. I love it.
A week from today I'll be ordering a Micro-Tron III myself!

Any thoughts about the Eventide Mod Factor (or H9)?

I had the Mod Factor, and now have (and love) the H9.

I find the various wah and autowah settings sound very close to analog, especially if a preset is tweaked to taste. The H9 app makes tweaking very simple. The basic algorithm used for wah and autowah on the H9 (or the Mod Factor) is the same, it’s just how the parameters are adjusted that’s different.

Listening closely, the only criticism I’d make is that a truly great analog wah or autowah has a little more “crack” at the turnover point of the resonant peak, and can sound a bit warmer and grittier. My solution to get warmth and grit is to use a very clean setting on the Chime side of a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2, but something similar could be achieved with an EP Boost set to unity gain.

A few weeks ago I recorded a song using the H9’s vintage wah preset (and an expression pedal) for a “cats fighting in a bag” solo on a new project. If you want some idea of the H9’s ability to replicate a wah tone (granted not autowah, but same basic algorithm), take a listen.

I originally posted this link in the amp section because I used the HXDA for all the parts with no dirt pedals (except a near-clean setting on the Pettydrive for the wah part). Guitars are a McCarty, and a 594 for the solo. The solo’s at about the 2:08 mark. Point is, it’s a pretty good wah tone, though I do think my old Fulltone might have been more hip:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/waves-of-blue

Last edited:
We all know about the Mutron however several years back I was at a Govt. Mule show in AC and noticed that the Auto Wah Warren was using was amazing especially the way it sounded when he would take off on one of his lightning fast runs. After the show I went up and talked to the late Brian Farmer who was his tech and he told me Emma DisCumBobulator. This is an amazing auto wah.
You can get clean Jerryesque sounds from it easily. I think they just recently came out with a second generation of this pedal. Check it out if you can find one.

Mayer is using the EHX Q-Tron with great results. I use the Mu-Tron emulation in my HX Effects and it sounds killer after some tweaking.

Back