best blues tones?

I go back and forth between a Tweed Deluxe with a Boss 63 Reverb and ZenDrive or an H head into a 12”Jensen MOD speaker. The H has the built in Reverb and overdrive.

I am not a blues purist by any means, but I find the "best" blues tone for me is a neck pickup - can be humbucker or strat single coil - through a clear, hairy amp. In all honesty, the best tone that inspired my blues playing was any guitar through my Bad Cat Cub IV. It was about the amp more than the guitar. The amp was very vocal, nuanced and able to provide a variety of clean-to-dirty tones between the EF86 preamp or the 12AX7 preamp. Add in some reverb and harmonic tremolo via my Strymon Flint and I was in tonal bliss.

I guess, for me, it's all about the amp more than the guitar.

I guess, for me, it's all about the amp more than the guitar.

That’s legit, though for me, it’s more a combination.

But heck, it’s a folk idiom, it’s about personal expression, and there’s infinite room for different approaches to playing it.

Clapton plays blues, Mayer plays blues, BB King played blues, to name only three, and they all sound unique and different. I think the style lends itself especially well to great individuality.

Very happy with the Blues tone for a PRS H also my MKV and the newest addition Orange Dark Terror.
The beauty of the Silver Sky is the low output from the single coils and then the vol knob can turn most any amp into a blues monster.
I run the gain on the high side then roll back the vol to get just a bit of breakup :) then the extra gas is always just a knob turn away.

Hating particular instruments like harmonicas and banjos is for the narrow-minded. All instruments have their uses.

For example, Telecasters make excellent firewood.

Previously used joke WARNING -

The definition of perfect pitch.....

.....making sure you hit the accordian as you throw the banjo into the skip!

Edit for Sergio - Double points of its bounces off the bagpipes and kazoo on the way in.

Last edited:
Wait! I took accordion lessons when I was a kid. Lol My last teacher was super good and played Carniegy hall and had his own radio show.
My mother was Polish so I was doomed.
I really wanted to play piano but we didn't have the room.
Oh well it did teach me music etc so that was good.
(Don't tell anyone but I also owned and played the banjo for a while)

Wait! I took accordion lessons when I was a kid. Lol My last teacher was super good and played Carniegy hall and had his own radio show.
My mother was Polish so I was doomed.
I really wanted to play piano but we didn't have the room.
Oh well it did teach me music etc so that was good.
(Don't tell anyone but I also owned and played the banjo for a while)

I played accordion from age 7-13. I liked it a whole bunch!

How many kids even know what a diminished chord is? But you and I had a button for it in every key! Not to mention major, minor, and seventh chords, and the fundamental bass note.

I think the accordion is a wonderful music theory tool.

“Les, you’re a tool, even without an accordion.”

“I am now sad.”

Hey, has anyone ever seen @sergiodeblanc play the blues, or, like blue guitars, does he not like those either?o_O

Yeah, I’m not down. I’m replying so late to this because I wouldn’t open the thread based on the title.

can't blame @sergiodeblanc , I am a Brazilian from Rio de Janeiro and I don't like samba. He hates Harmonica? well, I hate cuica , right @Shawn@PRS ?

Exactly. Being from “Chicago” the blues are everywhere, and it takes on a kinda touristy vibe that’s easy to become sick of.

It’s just occurred to me that The Blues Brothers should have been called The Soul Brothers, because I don’t think there was a blues tune in the whole film!

Last edited:
Back