Best Bass guitar app

Single_tone

Hey everybody,

What’s your best recommendation for Bass amp modeling apps. Looking for that warm analog Ampeg sound.
Thanks in advance!

Helix Native has some great bass amps, including a couple of Ampegs (B-15 and SVT as I recall)

Reactions: jxe
The Atomic Bass Box is a modeler designed for Bass in a small pedal format. Lots of real knobs just like an amp and compressor.
BassBoxforShopify_960x.png

This is related to Studio Devil's two older plugins for your DAW. Wait, I see they now sell the Bass Box as a plugin.

The big brother, Atomic Amplifire, has an SVT model.

Many consider the modeling by Atomic, Studio Devil, and Gallo Engineering as some of the best out there (at any price) in terms of sound and feel. I'll just say they are amazing. Happy AA6 owner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
To stretch this topic slightly to the OT zone:
How about any experience with real Tube preamp pedals(like the one from Two Notes or Audients new Sonos interface) and then into the iOS app??
Appreciate y’all!

VStomp Amp HD from the HoTone hardware folks is free and offers a BASS PACK for $2 as an IAP.

GE Labs is also free and has a Fender Bassman and a lot of the new Amps that the 7-string guitar players use so the bass response should be good. Everything is unlocked and you only need to pay to buy slots to save your custom rigs.

Overloud's TH-U offers 4 bass amplifiers. NOTE: It's not AUv3 or IAA... just standalone. But it runs on my iPhone 5S so I use it as a sound module.

The Universal Audio Ampeg models are very good, especially their B-15 model. It sounds killer, and I'm a person who generally dislikes modelers. The drawback is that you need their UAD hardware system to run their plugins. I use their hardware, so it's a no-brainer for me to use that model. I've done a lot of recording with it in my ad music work since it was introduced.

What do you recommend as an audio interface? Are the cheaper iRig like mobile devices capable or do you go above say $200 to get a decent direct signal?

What do you recommend as an audio interface? Are the cheaper iRig like mobile devices capable or do you go above say $200 to get a decent direct signal?

I use the Universal Audio Apollos, but there are plenty of great interfaces. Even with my Apollo, I don't use the onboard preamps, however. I mostly use an Avalon U5 direct box, or (less frequently) the direct input on a BAE DMP 1073 I like to use for certain kinds of sounds.

For me, the key to a great DI bass sound is headroom. The Avalon has tons of clean headroom.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if a mobile device would work, I've never tried one. In any case, you'd still need to run UAD hardware with a computer to run the UAD plugins, and even their least expensive e box runs into a fair amount of dough. So it's definitely a more expensive solution than an iRig, etc.

Nonetheless that's my recommendation for a good bass sound. Most direct bass recordings don't sound very good to me, but everything depends on:

(a) the quality level you need, and

(b) the price you're willing to pay to achieve said quality level.

There are no easy answers.

The Atomic Bass Box is a modeler designed for Bass in a small pedal format. Lots of real knobs just like an amp and compressor.
BassBoxforShopify_960x.png

This is related to Studio Devil's two older plugins for your DAW. Wait, I see they now sell the Bass Box as a plugin.

The big brother, Atomic Amplifire, has an SVT model.

Many consider the modeling by Atomic, Studio Devil, and Gallo Engineering as some of the best out there (at any price) in terms of sound and feel. I'll just say they are amazing. Happy AA6 owner.
That looks like a fun gadget.

I recently acquired the Ampeg SCR-DI, and I think it sounds quite a bit like the Ampeg amps I have played in the past. Memory is a bit hazy on these as I have not had an Ampeg amp in about 10 years now, but the tones I recall from those amps I can get out of this DI.

I also use "Native Instruments Guitar Rig" inside Cubase Pro to search for other bass cabinet/mic/effect combos, and although some may scoff at it (the use of DAW/plugins to shape your tone), it does give you thousands of combinations to customize your tone. I usually find the setup I think is as close to what I want, then tweak the mics and cabinets to dial in with more precision what I want.

Happy pickin'!
MW

I'm also looking for an app for my Schecter 2794 bass guitar. Please recommend if you know. Thanks!

Back