Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by dwrockdoctor, Sep 30, 2018.
Why poly and not nitro?
I did a wipe on satin poly on a bass I refinished. I liked it, but I don't play it much, so I can't speak to it's durability. But it was super easy!
Would love a nitro finish but I suck with anything that involves spraying. Current lockdown situations in my country stop me from getting someone else to spray for me so a wipe on finish it is. Doesn't have to be super durable, the guitar has had a hard life and has numerous dings on the back.
Great job! I like shiny better than satin, but that is because all the bling due to the nice top
Satin would be cool. I dig it on my Dirty 100
I definitely prefer satin to gloss.
Mock up with some hardware and accoutrements. I have some amber knobs that would suit better that are currently hiding in a box somewhere after a house move a few months back. The neck on this mock up isn't original. The original neck is on a different CE body at the moment. PRS CE partscaster time, haha. The colour varies quite dramatically depending on the light. It goes between a darker brown to much more pumpkin orange in strong outside light. It will be interesting to see how it looks once a clear coat is on.
For anyone interested, especially fellow Aussies, the stain I used is a local brand called Feast and Watson, walnut colour first followed by a sand back and then teak added second. Spirit based stains. Couldn't wait any longer for those Keda dyes to arrive, postage is super slow at the moment due to Australia's current lockdown mayhem.
Looking really good. Nice work.
Thanks Alnus Rubra! Pretty happy with how it's coming along. It's a passion of love, that's for sure, big learning curve.
Absolutely, well done for going in with spirit based stains.
I wimped out and did my first stain job with water based stains.
However, I should add that I was attempting a one-off burst, no sanding back, so it had to be right first time.
I did lots of practicing with off-cuts from the maple top, so I knew how the stains would react.
The guitar is now under lacquer, so my work is sealed for eternity (well until someone decides to refinish it!).
As I said great work and really looking forward to seeing the guitar finished.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Spirit based stains were what was easily available. Not sure when or if these Keda dyes will show up. Glad it worked out okay, I didn't realise spirit based stains are less forgiving, haha!
First two thin coats of satin wipe on poly have been applied to the top. I'll just do a coat a day for the rest of the week and that should do it. So far, so good. I could've got this done by someone else with probably more pro results but I like what this process adds to the story of a guitar that already has such a personal history for me. The battles you go through together create an even stronger bond!
Spirit stains give less working time and so if you’re looking to burst the colours into one another you need to be confident and working decisively and carefully.
Watch any of the staining videos from PRS and you will see what I mean. These guys make it look easy, which it most certainly isn’t!
Here’s an example -
I could watch staining and CNC carving videos all day long.
Finally complete for the moment, sorry for the delay! Comes up good in photos and when viewed from a foot or further away. Closer inspection and you’d be able to notice some imperfections but I’m happy for now and it was a great learning curve getting to this point.
It plays and sounds great as it always has. Chucked in the original HFS and VB combo with the 5-way rotary. I forgot how versatile this setup is!
Hawt! Really nice work, congratulations.