Best and worst Private Stock guitars

they do however illustrate well the challenges and inherent limitations posed by 'flattened' carvings.
I guess this is one of those subjective things, as I for one do not perceive any issues with the flattened carvings. Not at all. They all look beautiful and natural to me, in particular how they seamlessly meld with the contours of the guitar carve. Probably different people’s brains perceive them differently. I see them as a life like 2D picture with a slight 3D pop-up effect, kind of like the best of both worlds on a guitar body.

for a dealer to degrade that having been given the relationship of trust to represent them is juvenile.
LOL some people would not know gold if they held it in their bare hands. Nothing wrong about it I suppose; they probably are just as happy with smaller inner worlds.

these don’t look so over that top to me, but i grew up in hank jr country and have seen lots of embossed eagles at the roundup.

no one has done a yakuza prs with koi swimming in the top?

Not Koi but tropical fish :)

26-CB8825-D68-D-49-FC-9817-826-E7-B17-EEEA.jpg

1-E8746-FF-6-B92-40-E2-8-ADC-6-A99-A09-DFEE9.jpg

FF80937-B-2-A13-4195-BD17-0-FC6554076-E8.jpg

2926a.jpg

Probably my favourite PS guitar in terms of pure art. I much prefer this than any intricate inlay, as each carving is hand made and a genuine on-off, not something that can be machine CNC replicated. Once the artist retires, it will truly be a limited. Oh and the colors, texturing and detailing are not too shabby either... :rolleyes:

I don’t think most people can carve and paint a potato, much less hard wood.

I would LEGIT buy this..I'm not crazy about wood carved guitars just based on the fact I play all my guitars out....BUT...I'd buy this to hang in the Jam room and play sparingly just for the artwork....that's superb!

I much prefer this than any intricate inlay, as each carving is hand made and a genuine on-off, not something that can be machine CNC replicated.

While I like that owl carving, I don’t necessarily agree with downplaying the art of inlay on carved tops. The shell is not flat and has to be curved to match the body; not a simple process so I’m led to believe.

While I like that owl carving, I don’t necessarily agree with downplaying the art of inlay on carved tops. The shell is not flat and has to be curved to match the body; not a simple process so I’m led to believe.
True. Like I mentioned, it’s merely a personal preference. Put it this way, I would not pass up the chance to buy a singlecut dragon, it it were available for the right price. ;)

Last edited:
I would LEGIT buy this..I'm not crazy about wood carved guitars just based on the fact I play all my guitars out....BUT...I'd buy this to hang in the Jam room and play sparingly just for the artwork....that's superb!
100% agree! :)

Art is polarizing.
If I offended anyone here with my fairly strong negative views of some of those carved guitars (I liked at least two), I apologize.
While I'm not into what I perceive as an unnatural/deformed body (and seems inevitable when carving large animals on a guitar body), I can however appreciate why others would find them appealing and enjoy the hard work and talent to create those.

Heck I wouldn't even be surprised if I change my mind on those in just couple years and eventually acquire one.

Two years ago I didn't have a PRS, didn't care for those flashy finishes that some call gaudy, and natural backs looked very unappealing to me. Guess what I have now...

There is another new Private Stockl called a Snarling Tiger. Different than the birds but very neat.

There is another new Private Stockl called a Snarling Tiger. Different than the birds but very neat.
Yes there is... and it was definitely one of those 'discussed' in the video:

235tobgv3GyfJFrfJZtLDS-1200-80.jpg

I found another snarling tiger from that limited PS run, that one is sold:
tumblr_pg86oldzIN1texqglo1_1280.jpg

I like one of them, while the other tends to make me laugh somewhat (counts as a like I guess).

They made it private not long after posting this thread.

While they are clearly chasing after views and subscribers judging by some of their more casual/entertaining videos, this one video wasn't the smartest move.
As entertaining as it was to some (it was for me I'll admit that much) their case was aggravated by 1) being a PRS dealer themselves, 2) poking fun at guitars still for sale at a different dealer, 3) re-using that other dealer's picture with clearly identifiable watermarks, and 4) the artist carving those guitars being undeniably talented with a strong relationship with PRS.
Solid A+ for scoring so many aggravating factors in a single video.

Back