Best amp emulation

P90s

Looking for a multi-effects board. Currently have the Fender Mustang, which i bought because it does such a great job of reproducing the various Fender amp sounds. I'm not real big into effects, just really like to reproduce different amp tones. My Mustang floor board won't last forever; got this one off ebay when the first one broke, since they aren't made anymore. What do you recommend for a multi-effects board that's good at amp modelling? Pretty flexible on price. Mustang was really inexpensive, but that's not why I bought it. Thanks!

:p

No fight.
AX8 is a floorboard with fantastic amp and effects sounds.
Kemper is a profiler with fantastic amps, good effects, and an outboard floor controller.

AX8 all in one
Kemper 2 pieces

AX8 many cables at your feet
Kemper few cables at your feet

AX8 lean down to the floor for adjustments
Kemper turn back around (like any amp) for adjustments

They're both awesome.

:p

No fight.
AX8 is a floorboard with fantastic amp and effects sounds.
Kemper is a profiler with fantastic amps, good effects, and an outboard floor controller.

AX8 all in one
Kemper 2 pieces

AX8 many cables at your feet
Kemper few cables at your feet

AX8 lean down to the floor for adjustments
Kemper turn back around (like any amp) for adjustments

They're both awesome.

Sounds to me like you’re saying the AX8 is superior

It is if you like those parameters.
I like having one cable from my floorboard to the Kemper. The Kemper does audio to powered speaker and/or FOH.
If my floorboard or cable gimped out I could still finish the gig without it.

Agreed, the Kemper is better.

I have used a Helix since it was released. It has been very satisfying. I have gigged locally, toured, and used it on various recording sessions since getting it. I haven't looked back. I still have a few amps just in case - but they haven't been used. In all honesty, I know a ton of dudes with Kemper - and it is very killer. So is the Axe-Fx II (III is still coming, right? Though I am sure it will kill too).

I look at it like this....

Want the BEST? Get the Fractal. It is getting constant updates and has many touring artists using it.

Have a rig you LOVE, tour/gig a lot? Get the Kemper. All my friends that tour internationally use them to GREAT effect. They have their rig in an easy to carry box.

Do a bit of everything and on a tighter budget? Get the Helix. Doesn't matter if it's the Floor or the LT (I use the Rack/Control version). The sounds are amazing, ease of use is fabulous, it's tough...

In the end, they are tools - it seems that there are "camps" that lean a certain way (I kind of mentioned them above) but any of those 3 are where it is at. I know a few guys that got the Headrush unit and returned it within days - most just exchanged for Helix LT. There are others out there but I am not versed enough in them to be able to inform on - or even name - them.

What’s the deal with the Yamaha THR100hd?

Anyone ever try one out?

I have used a Helix since it was released. It has been very satisfying. I have gigged locally, toured, and used it on various recording sessions since getting it. I haven't looked back. I still have a few amps just in case - but they haven't been used. In all honesty, I know a ton of dudes with Kemper - and it is very killer. So is the Axe-Fx II (III is still coming, right? Though I am sure it will kill too).

I look at it like this....

Want the BEST? Get the Fractal. It is getting constant updates and has many touring artists using it.

Have a rig you LOVE, tour/gig a lot? Get the Kemper. All my friends that tour internationally use them to GREAT effect. They have their rig in an easy to carry box.

Do a bit of everything and on a tighter budget? Get the Helix. Doesn't matter if it's the Floor or the LT (I use the Rack/Control version). The sounds are amazing, ease of use is fabulous, it's tough...

In the end, they are tools - it seems that there are "camps" that lean a certain way (I kind of mentioned them above) but any of those 3 are where it is at. I know a few guys that got the Headrush unit and returned it within days - most just exchanged for Helix LT. There are others out there but I am not versed enough in them to be able to inform on - or even name - them.
For either unit, what do you use as a speaker?

I just use a simple EV ZLX-12P. IN the rehearsal room it's just the Helix/EV - no PA support. Live, it's the Helix/EV with PA support. Works every time!!

Rehearsal:

You WILL see a little Blackstar combo right behind me. It looks like it's "on" - nope. Not my amp. The rehearsal space we use is the drummer's. The amp belongs to his brother who uses the space with his band too. As a bonus, I am using my Paul's Guitar in this vid....

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gEQlhQx94Is

LIVE!!

Here is the Paul's Guitar in action again, with the Helix/EV rig. This club has a NICE QSC system, but NO monitors - weird. Most of what's on the video is PA support. This clip is just using the camera mic - real room sound.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=x-MmYZkfWrE

Studio:

Here's a "one-man-band" clip I did where I played all the tracks and did the singing (something I am still working on). In this case, the guitar is all S2 Standard 22. The bass is a German Pro Series Warwick Jazzman FNA. All guitar/bass amps are from the Helix. It has been great having a plethora of higher-end sounding rigs/effects available so easily.

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/sues-smile

It's a VERY capable rig, and one that I have used happily since getting it.

Soundin’ good, markd21! Nice work!

If I went modeling, it’d probably be Helix, primarily because there’s the ability to use both computer and hardware and share patches, etc., plus there’s very good integration with traditional amps.

But all three that you mention are top line pieces.

For my own stuff, I use a traditional pedalboard with an amp switcher into three tube amps in the studio, with a mic set up for each amp, so it’s simple to use tube rigs. Since I’m not playing out these days, cartage isn’t a concern.

Soundin’ good, markd21! Nice work!

If I went modeling, it’d probably be Helix, primarily because there’s the ability to use both computer and hardware and share patches, etc., plus there’s very good integration with traditional amps.

But all three that you mention are top line pieces.

For my own stuff, I use a traditional pedalboard with an amp switcher into three tube amps in the studio, with a mic set up for each amp, so it’s simple to use tube rigs. Since I’m not playing out these days, cartage isn’t a concern.

Thanks!

Yeah, once Line 6 finally released the Helix Native version, that really changed things. A lot of times, in the studio, I'll work a song using Native. The ability to change a tone "last minute" is great. However, I am also a traditionalist (believe it or not). I print effects. I have no problem committing to a tone. In that regard, I use the Helix as a traditional amp sometimes. If I am playing around with a "rig" and it inspires me, I just use whatever I made and throw the song down. That flexibility is SOOO worth it.

I am right with you. My last ALL tube studio rig was a Twin Reverb, an AC15 and a Rivera S120 connected/switched via a Voodoo Labs GCX/Ground Control system. Each amp was mic'd with a close mic that stayed with the rig. I'd often add a second mic to the rig as needed, per application.

About the modelers I mentioned being high-end pieces, yeah I agree with Axe and Kemper. If I could have swung the Fractal/Axe I would have been all over it. At the time, used, the Axe-FX II was still like $2200!!! The Kemper seemed more complicated, and once you add the cost of the floor controller - YIKES. Helix, while in the $1500 range at the time, was expensive - but still quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives. But, with the release of Helix LT at $1000, Line 6 was smart enough to offer a killer version of their flagship (same engine/sounds) with some of the "bonuses" removed (I/O, loops, etc.).

It's all good. I am just familiar with those products because I knew I was gonna buy higher end, so that's where I researched.

Thanks!

Yeah, once Line 6 finally released the Helix Native version, that really changed things. A lot of times, in the studio, I'll work a song using Native. The ability to change a tone "last minute" is great. However, I am also a traditionalist (believe it or not). I print effects. I have no problem committing to a tone. In that regard, I use the Helix as a traditional amp sometimes. If I am playing around with a "rig" and it inspires me, I just use whatever I made and throw the song down. That flexibility is SOOO worth it.

I am right with you. My last ALL tube studio rig was a Twin Reverb, an AC15 and a Rivera S120 connected/switched via a Voodoo Labs GCX/Ground Control system. Each amp was mic'd with a close mic that stayed with the rig. I'd often add a second mic to the rig as needed, per application.

About the modelers I mentioned being high-end pieces, yeah I agree with Axe and Kemper. If I could have swung the Fractal/Axe I would have been all over it. At the time, used, the Axe-FX II was still like $2200!!! The Kemper seemed more complicated, and once you add the cost of the floor controller - YIKES. Helix, while in the $1500 range at the time, was expensive - but still quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives. But, with the release of Helix LT at $1000, Line 6 was smart enough to offer a killer version of their flagship (same engine/sounds) with some of the "bonuses" removed (I/O, loops, etc.).

It's all good. I am just familiar with those products because I knew I was gonna buy higher end, so that's where I researched.
Glad you chimed in with the Helix!
I knew little about them, so your experience is awesome!

home studio. I used to use Line6 Podfarm platinum for amp heads, turn the cabinets off and then run it through Poulin LeCab for cabinet emulations. But since moving to a 64bit DAW, I foolishly "upgraded" to Line6 Helix... If anyone is in the same boat..DON'T! it's HORRIBLE. It takes so much time to get an okay tone. Furthermore, it doesn't have basic things in it that it absolutely should...Like a TUNER for example... Now i just mic up my Mesa

I have both a Kemper, AX8 and an original Ultra. The Kemper is great for the "snapshots" of amps but once you start tweaking from that it does fall off a bit. ( I akin it to photoshopping a picture. At some point, you fall off so far you're best to take a new photo and start again from there). I have lots of Kemper profiles of the same amp at multiple settings and values. It works best that way and does sound great.
The AX8 is great for portability and tweaking is more "amp-tuitive". The quality and volume of effects are better than the Kemper. I trucked around the Kemper rack until I got the Ax8 so that goes to the shows these days and the Kemper stays at home. Having it all on a single stomp/floor pedal version is one less thing I don't need to carry.

Back