Bernie vs. SE 245 - Major Distinctions?

For me, the only reason I recommend or have preference for the Tusq over the PRS nut is colour choice. The Bernie has crime binding. With a creme or whitish nut you keep that 'framing' effect of the rosewood board. I think if PRS did a creme nut I'd go with that as there is less work installing it.

I had my tech use an oversized Tusq blank and also had him widen the string spacing which is normally narrower on imports for whatever reason. That guaranteed a perfect fit. The stock Tusq nuts may leave a tiny gap at each side on the Bernie as it is slightly wider than WF.

Both the Tusq and PRS nuts are high quality nuts and a good upgrade over the stock SE ones which are frequently not up to par.

They are used to making the nuts for .009 strings - I don't think they've opened them up properly at the factory for .10-46. Just use some nut files, and fix the existing one.

Personally, I'll take the artificial nut any day. The original '50 les pauls had nylon nuts, not bone.

Congratz on the Bernie...

Why did they quit making them? It was a standout guitar, a perfect storm of an instrument, and not what the Korean PRS was supposed to bring (or in this case take) from the PRS brand. It's my contention the guitar was too good - with some minor modifications able to stand on it's own against any of the USA models. That wasn't supposed to happen.

I sold my McCarty and am buying another Bernie. I am going to try my mods on a flame/veneer version and see how that pans out.

Why did they quit making them? It was a standout guitar, a perfect storm of an instrument, and not what the Korean PRS was supposed to bring (or in this case take) from the PRS brand. It's my contention the guitar was too good - with some minor modifications able to stand on it's own against any of the USA models. That wasn't supposed to happen.
According to another thread, one of our forum brethren asked at NAMM, and was told that sales of the Bernie have dried up of late. That has happened to other models in the past.

I'd have gone with a redesign.

I had no issue with the 3 knob layout at all. Infact, I've owned more guitars with a 3 knob layout than not. Strats, Hamers, etc... Should really get a DGT!!! However, a lot of people who eye up singlecuts want a 2 T 2 V layout even if they rarely use the controls.

More colour choices, natural backs, keep,the binding. An SE version of the 2 piece bridge would be cool but not essential. Covered SE 245 pups for that additional vintage vibe and advertise the neck as a unique carve instead of the generic WF.

Still, why the f@ck would they listen to me, lol! It's the way Bernie and the guys at PRS wanted it. Really, it's been an outstanding success. It was only meant to be a limited model for the UK / Europe and it went on to be a huge success for a while. I think also the ZM stole some of it's thunder.

Last edited:
I'd have gone with a redesign.

I had no issue with the 3 knob layout at all. Infact, I've owned more guitars with a 3 knob layout than not. Strats, Hamers, etc... Should really get a DGT!!! However, a lot of people who eye up singlecuts want a 2 T 2 V layout even if they rarely use the controls.

More colour choices, natural backs, keep,the binding. An SE version of the 2 piece bridge would be cool but not essential. Covered SE 245 pups for that additional vintage vibe and advertise the neck as a unique carve instead of the generic WF.

Still, why the f@ck would they listen to me, lol! It's the way Bernie and the guys at PRS wanted it. Really, it's been an outstanding success. It was only meant to be a limited model for the UK / Europe and it went on to be a huge success for a while. I think also the ZM stole some of it's thunder.
Agreed. IIRC, it was supposed to be a run of 1,000?

Agreed. IIRC, it was supposed to be a run of 1,000?
The UK got a special run of like 100 with core pickups (can't remember the model). That would be the one to have.

EDIT: It was 53/10s, with a coil tap switch, and they only made 50 of them. Man, would I like to get my hands on one of those guitars...

Last edited:
Relax, the guitars are exactly the same. I have one, but I sold the 53/10s, the neck I really liked, but I didn't have the same love for the bridge.
Prefer the bareknuckles mules that are in it now. From that experience I think 57/08s would have been a better fit for the guitar, but PRS pickups are very expensive in UK compared to the competition, and I live in SE land not PS land ;)

With the modifications I've done, it may not be relevant, but the SD AlPII Slash pickups sound really good in my Bernie. It's a got a thick vintage Les Paul growl, with great note bloom through my mesa boogie heartbreaker. The neck pickup sounds pretty authentic too. The pickups clean up nice, and are well balanced in the guitar. I was going to try some other pickups, but I think I'm just going to leave them put. FWIW I think they're very similar to Gibson's classic plus pickups.

Love the ZM though! Wouldn't trade it for the world!
Guess I spoke too soon on this one. I ended up getting rid of the ZM shortly after this. Just ordered a BM a couple days ago. Hopefully things work out better with it.

Last edited:
Guess I spoke too soon on this one. I ended up getting rid of the ZM shortly after this. Just ordered a BM a couple days ago. Hopefully things work out better with it.

What was wrong with the ZM? What do you expect to be better in the Bernie?

What was wrong with the ZM? What do you expect to be better in the Bernie?
After getting out of the honeymoon phase with the ZM, it just seemed a bit dull tonally. Compared to my other guitars at the time, it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Loved the feel though. The Bernie was just on a great sale, so I figured I'd give it a try. I really love LP style guitars but Gibbies always annoy me with their tuning instability. I'd honestly love something like an SC245 or Stripped 58 but I've got a wedding to pay for and a fiance to keep happy so that's out of the question right now. Worst case scenario, I'll just send it back.

After getting out of the honeymoon phase with the ZM, it just seemed a bit dull tonally. Compared to my other guitars at the time, it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Loved the feel though. The Bernie was just on a great sale, so I figured I'd give it a try. I really love LP style guitars but Gibbies always annoy me with their tuning instability. I'd honestly love something like an SC245 or Stripped 58 but I've got a wedding to pay for and a fiance to keep happy so that's out of the question right now. Worst case scenario, I'll just send it back.

You should love the Bernie. Maybe a pick up swap. More guitar than the price would lead you to believe. Haven't played a ZM otherwise I'd give my two cents on a comparison.

I've played both. Love the ZM neck and I love everything about the Bernie. It's my blues guitar.

I've played both. Love the ZM neck and I love everything about the Bernie. It's my blues guitar.
I played both and initially fell in love with a Bernie that sold before I had the chance to go back and get it. Ended up going with the ZM because a used one popped up in my local GC. Just didn't have the same mojo as the first Bernie so I got rid of it. Hoping this Bernie has the mojo too!

The Bernie will someday command ridiculous prices, like golden-age Japanese instruments currently do.
Does it matter if it is modded or not?

Hoping this Bernie has the mojo too!
Congrats on your new find. Seems like you got the black 2013. For the price you paid you can probably consider it a dollar for dollar discount or better for any guitar upgrade when you are searching the local stores for a core model if you ever decide to part with it. Probably get the same price or better if you put it on on Ebay or Craigslist tomorrow. I have been looking for a few months and Dave's prices were some of the best I have seen for any Bernies which is why they were gone fast. Looking forward to your review.

Back