Bernie revisited.

Barquentine

I've neglected my Bernie for a while because I've been having so much fun with my S2 Singlecut. Last Saturday I broke the top E on my S2 and decided to grab my Bernie. I haven't put it down since. It's been played for three or four hours per day since then. The neck is amazing. I always thought I couldn't handle fat necks being a small guy but the Bernie feels great.

Mine has BK Abraxas pickups and the tuners have been changed to Schallers that look the same as the originals but are SO much smoother. It sounds incredible - to me it sounds like the LP sound I've had in my head for years that I've never got from any LP I've ever played. The Abraxas set are perfect for this guitar. If I could only have two guitars I'd happily settle for two Bernies.

I've gotta replace pots and maybe some wiring on my Bernie I bought a couple months ago... sounds like a post-retirement project....

Gotta have a set of those vintage style locking tuners, too...

My Bernie is about to get a set of Antiquities. I'm expecting some righteous, (Ferris Bueller reference), blues tones.

Do you still have all of those guitars ? It's interesting to see that your four most recent acquisitions are SE's. How do they compare to the more expensive models ? Let us know how the Antiquities work out.

Do you still have all of those guitars ? It's interesting to see that your four most recent acquisitions are SE's. How do they compare to the more expensive models ? Let us know how the Antiquities work out.
Thanks for asking. I do still have them all, and more. The one thing I don't like about the forum software is the limited signature space.

About SE's. You can get options from the SE line that you can't get in the core. If you want a PRS acoustic you have two options; PS or SE. You want a bridge humbucker and a P90 neck; PS or SE. For me, I don't compare the SE's to the cores. It is true you get what you pay for. The SE is a great guitar regardless of price. It will serve you well regardless of price. But if I could only have one, that last one to leave the stable would not be an SE. I pick up SE's because they fill a need. I play my SE Cu24 when I'm traveling. I have my SE Soapy 2 because it sounded better than the McSoapy I had originally. The Bernie is one of the first 12 made and has Bernie's signature. The Acoustic is my only acoustic (well except for my 58 Martin but it's not my player guitar). I don't look at SE's as budget PRSi. I look at SE's as guitars to do a job and I like to play them. :)

Back