Bernie Marsden - 500k Pots?

ParanoidAndroid91

Hi all,

Considering changing the pickups in my Bernie to the SD Slash AP2 set (not a die-hard fan in the slightest, just I like Alnico 2s and the hotter output would suit me) but I’m wondering if I should also fit 500k pots since it currently has 250k ones.

Thing is, I don’t want an overly bright tone and I understand these pickups to have more of a midrange bump anyway rather than outright treble. Has anyone done a similar upgrade and can advise from experience?

Well, that's a relief. I know 500k on a humbucker-equipped guitar is the norm but I'm sure I read elsewhere it wasn't the case.

Has anyone tried the AP2 set in an 245 or Bernie?

I put a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas in mine. Sounded glorious! Not familiar with the AP2. But, for the same price, I can HIGHLY recommend a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I played a set in a buddies SC594, and went home and ordered a set that afternoon. They are terrific!

I put a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas in mine. Sounded glorious! Not familiar with the AP2. But, for the same price, I can HIGHLY recommend a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I played a set in a buddies SC594, and went home and ordered a set that afternoon. They are terrific!

A mate had the Aldrich set in his Tremonti and loved them! Sold them on I think though and I can’t recall what he replaced them with.

The thinking with the AP2s will be the vintage sound with a bit more bite (my main attraction to the Slash set). I’ve got Bareknuckle ceramics in my Manson and Fender Enforcers in my Jag, so it’d be a very versatile set-up I think :)

Well, that's a relief. I know 500k on a humbucker-equipped guitar is the norm but I'm sure I read elsewhere it wasn't the case.

Has anyone tried the AP2 set in an 245 or Bernie?
I use APH2 in my zach myers. It it glorious. They clean up well but have excellent sustain and Crunch. Absolutely nails the vintage hot PAF sound for the money. I’ve probably tried a half dozen very popular models in the zach myers including Dimarzio 36 anny, BK’s mules, mule/riff raff, stormy mondays, Abraxas, and even PRS 58/15 LT. By far my fav was the slash’s pickups. My guess is that’s because they were designed for a very similar guitar in terms of shape and woods. I can’t recommend them enough. They don’t split so perfect for a ZM layout. The set is perfectly balanced to me.

Back