Benny Mardones Dead at 73

Man, that's sad news. I love the "Never Run, Never Hide" album. Some great songs on there besides "Into The Night" (which grabbed me from the get-go). "She's So French", "Too Young". And "American Bandstand" is full enough of cheese to make Kraft shudder in their cellophane-wrapped shoes.

True story - I was a big fan of "Into The Night" from the first time I heard it. (The B-side is below.) Years later, I saw in the paper that it had become a hit again for some reason. A week or so after that, I was in Camelot Music (remember those?). I was looking at the cassette singles (remember those?), and a woman asked one of the guys who worked there if he could help her find a song.

"Sure, what's it called?"

"I don't remember."

"Okay, not a problem. Who sings it?"

"I don't remember, only that it's a guy singer."

"Do you remember what it's about?"

"No, but the guy has a good voice and it's a good song. They said something about it being a few years old."

At this point, I turned to them and said, "'Into The Night' by Benny Mardones?"

Her eyes lit up and she said, "That's it!!! Isn't that a great song?" I said, "Just as good as it was when it came out about 10 years ago." The guy from the store looked at me and said, "How did you do that?" I said, "It's just one of those things I do" and walked away. My wife looked at me and when we got out of the store, she said, "You just love doing that, don't you?"

This is probably my second favorite song from the album, although "Too Young" is right up there with it.

RIP, Benny.

Man, that's sad news. I love the "Never Run, Never Hide" album. Some great songs on there besides "Into The Night" (which grabbed me from the get-go). "She's So French", "Too Young". And "American Bandstand" is full enough of cheese to make Kraft shudder in their cellophane-wrapped shoes.

True story - I was a big fan of "Into The Night" from the first time I heard it. (The B-side is below.) Years later, I saw in the paper that it had become a hit again for some reason. A week or so after that, I was in Camelot Music (remember those?). I was looking at the cassette singles (remember those?), and a woman asked one of the guys who worked there if he could help her find a song.

"Sure, what's it called?"

"I don't remember."

"Okay, not a problem. Who sings it?"

"I don't remember, only that it's a guy singer."

"Do you remember what it's about?"

"No, but the guy has a good voice and it's a good song. They said something about it being a few years old."

At this point, I turned to them and said, "'Into The Night' by Benny Mardones?"

Her eyes lit up and she said, "That's it!!! Isn't that a great song?" I said, "Just as good as it was when it came out about 10 years ago." The guy from the store looked at me and said, "How did you do that?" I said, "It's just one of those things I do" and walked away. My wife looked at me and when we got out of the store, she said, "You just love doing that, don't you?"

This is probably my second favorite song from the album, although "Too Young" is right up there with it.

RIP, Benny.

I met Benny when I was a senior in HIgh School 85 - 86. I was the Stage Manager and he came in for a SADD or MADD concert. It was my job to help the crew load in / load out, which they wouldnt let me do. (Union rules) Benny was huge in Syracuse at the time and on local Radio. It seemed like Into the Night played every hour some days. I think it was every schools Prom Song around that time too. Benny was cool, reminded me a lot of Eddie Money.

I remember I was in Norfolk Virginia when Into the Night was re-released in 89, and the DJ saying it was a new song. I'm thinking, nope, not a new song, and I know that dude.

R I P Benny

Back