Bends w/ a Silver Sky

who...me?

I wanted to get some feedback from owners of Silver Skys. Is anyone finding bends a little stiff with this guitar? I find that bending on the first 3 strings around 12 and up make you work for it. I own a core 24 which has 10s and a floating trem, and I have a Stratocaster with a decked trem with 9s. I can play both of these guitars without thinking about it.

I was curious if my experience is part what this guitar is all about, or if I'm the exception. Any insight is appreciated.

The smaller frets make bending a little harder if everything else is =.

I have 9's on my SS and all my other gtrs. My trem is also set to float.

Hmmm, I have 10’s on all of my guitars including the SS and bending feels the same to me.
They’re all hardtails though and the SS is decked from the factory.

Back in the bad old days Fenders had a 7.5 radius and tiny frets ( and some had 3 bolt necks ) for the decades I played fenders part of the sound was in the fight, the buzz, etc play them hard and you were rewarded.
The SS has some of that only WAY better executed bends are far easier than I remember, I think it plays better than the Custom Shop Hendrix Strat I just had at my place for a bit.
Whenever I feel an electric guitar is fighting me, I'll grab my acoustic for a min and all is well :)

The factory strings on mine were very stiff - they gave me a blood blister. But after new strings no problems, no different from my other guitars. If you continue to have trouble, it probably means it needs some set up.

Michael

Bends don't seem stiff or difficult for me with mine. I'm using 10s and I've kept it decked. I did, however, always found that to be the case with the Clapton Strats I've owned, which had the terms blocked. So, I know the feeling.

I'm guessing that the Silver Sky comes with 10s standard. I don't have a SS, but I have an Eric Johnson strat with 10s and a decked trem (I don't think a decked trem makes it harder btw, I think it's easier as you don't have to bend as far to reach pitch as you would with a floating trem).

There is definitely a difference in bending tension between a 25" and a 25.5" scale guitar using 10s. The 25.5" scale will be noticeably stiffer. Switch to 9s on the 25.5" and bending tension will be noticeably reduced. Classic shred guitars are 25.5" scale and use 9s.

The small frets and fingerboard radii are red herrings as far as bending tension goes. The EJ strat has a 12" radius and jumbo frets but still has a lot more tension than my PRS. What the small frets and radii do mean though is that it can be harder to grip the strings and easier to slip off during bends so makes bending a bit more tricky.

Another trick you could do is de-tune to Eb a la SRV to get a bit more slinkyness.

Bends don't seem stiff or difficult for me with mine. I'm using 10s and I've kept it decked. I did, however, always found that to be the case with the Clapton Strats I've owned, which had the terms blocked. So, I know the feeling.

Probably fret size. Only issue with the Clapton which I still think is the best all around strat they make.
Haven't tried a SS yet, hope to get a chance too, looks like a brilliant update.

I do prefer the 9-1/2 radius over the 7-1/4. But it's not a huge deal to me on most guitars. Long as it's not flatter than 12.
I'd also suggest string brand change. Curt Mangan, or maybe DR have a great feel that's not as 'stiff' feeling.

After experimenting with the setup for a couple of days I was able to take some of the stiffness out. I noticed the 3rd and 4th strings were binding in the nut. I was adjusting and retuning enough that this eventually worked itself out on its own. I lowered the saddles 1/4 turn, and backed the tremolo claw out 3/4 turn. The bridge remained decked and the strings were easier to bend. However, I felt like I lost a little tone, so I tightened it up some and found a good compromise between the two.

I wanted to get some feedback from owners of Silver Skys. Is anyone finding bends a little stiff with this guitar? I find that bending on the first 3 strings around 12 and up make you work for it. I own a core 24 which has 10s and a floating trem, and I have a Stratocaster with a decked trem with 9s. I can play both of these guitars without thinking about it.

I was curious if my experience is part what this guitar is all about, or if I'm the exception. Any insight is appreciated.
you need to have tiny little fingers

I'm glad you've managed to get it where you're happy. Though I honestly can't see how banking the claw out would make any difference to string tension

Back