Belated NGD - PRS Signature Limited

grausch

A long, long time ago...

Ok, not that long, but in July I decided that I was going to treat myself to a proper big-boy guitar for my 40th birthday in November. The initial plan was to buy a 1977 Gibson and I did find one or two candidates, but since I couldn't test these in-store, I never could convince myself to pull the trigger. I just found it difficult to trust the G guitars from that period due to the several well-publicized reasons. It took a bit longer than it should have, but after a while I thought - why not just buy a core PRS?

So, after the candidates got narrowed to two, I got some input from this forum to help with my decision. That conversation be found here - http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/mccarty-594-vs-408-for-versatility.25364/. Sold my signed Bernie with Mules and a Gibson SG to reduce the cost. My Black Cherry Bernie did not sell, and after rejecting some low-ball offers, I did not mind that at all.

After working with the dealer, the guitar finally shipped on 20 October 2017, which incidentally is exactly 40 years after the Lynyrd Skynyrd aircraft crash. That was unintentional, but I guess it is a good a reason as any to learn to play Freebird by my 41st.

The guitar arrived a couple of days before my birthday and of course I persuaded the wife that I needed to both test it and photograph it to ensure that everything was fine. Here are some of the photos from late October.

dbrTpYr.jpg

JdMfp5W.jpg

TpoAITc.jpg

Here are some thoughts on the guitar in general:
  1. The V12 finish is excellent - feels very hard and the neck is a joy to play on. It is a close second in feel to my 20th Anniversary Standard 24. Feels much better than the poly on my Bernie, but unless I compare these guitars one after the other, I would be happy with any of the finishes.
  2. The thicker body (compared to the Standard 24) is slightly less comfortable. When my strumming arm hits the body on the Standard 24, it feels nice and soft. Both the extra body and the finish make this guitar feel "harder" for lack of a better term.
  3. The pattern neck is phenomenal - small difference compared to the pattern regular on the Standard 24, but enough for me to prefer this by a significant margin.
  4. The guitar came with jumbo frets which was a pleasant surprise, but requires some adjusting of my technique. Bends with 10s are easy and I can understand why people praise the DGT frets. The Standard 24 with its smaller frets and 9s does feel smoother to play though.
  5. Hardware is a definite upgrade from the Standard 24 (which has a 2005 serial number). I can see why PRSh is of the opinion that his newer guitars are better.
My first strum though took me by surprise and not in a good way. This guitar is bright and even unplugged it is noticeably brighter than anything else I own. Even once the strings got played in, it still is brighter than all the others. I tend to run my treble on max with the other guitars, but with this one I needed to dial it back a bit. It was definitely missing something when compared to the Standard 24. Using the tone control is highly suggested with the Siggy Ltd.

With the Standard 24 feeling like the smoother player, I doubt I would have bought the Siggy Ltd. if I had played both in-store - it just didn't feel like it justified the money.

However, I have now spent some more time with it, and I guess we both understand each other much better now. I am now playing around a lot more with the pickups and usually use the neck in SC mode and I'll set the bridge between either mode (depending on the song). Also am finding some really great sounds by combining both pickups and that is something I never do. This guitar is great for Smoke on the water, and by just using the toggle switch I can handle the overdriven and cleaner parts of the song extremely well.

So, while it initially felt like this guitar was not a keeper, it has become the guitar I play when I wish to treat myself - I just needed some time to figure out all of its nuances and how to get what I want from it. All that being said though, my respect for the old Satin Standards has increased even more - a potential 594 purchase may not happen if I can pick up a satin Singlecut...

Congrats...that is a stunner. Siggys are definitely unique beasts...but so worth learning how to make those adjustments.
Happy Birthday!

Dude that is killer! Glad you two have finally bonded and become friends!:)

And Happy Belated 40th!!

Thanks - I feel a little silly that it took me so long to get to the sweet spot. Low-gain on the amp, bridge HB neck SC, volume 5-7 tone 6-8 and then using all 3 switch settings to move from clean to distorted.

Sweet as sweet! Happy 40th! Keep us posted on that Freebird progress!

Thanks - you may need to wait a while though...my dreams and current reality are very different. Have made great progress in a year though, so it may be doable in a year or two.

Congrats...that is a stunner. Siggys are definitely unique beasts...but so worth learning how to make those adjustments.
Happy Birthday!

Thanks - agreed. My current favourite tone comes from HB bridge and SC neck combined - not something my other guitars can do.

That’s one sweet flame and such a nice finish. Shocking contrast between the guitar and thats saweet case!

Enjoy!

Gorgeous. They’re great guitars. Because I use the volume and tone controls a lot, I find my 408 pickups are terrific for getting a huge variety of tones.

Glad it’s working out for you.

It is good to see someone take the time and share their thoughts on a NGD long after the event. Nice story and the guitar looks great. Congratulations :)

Back